Navigation "Shouting Lady" Dealer fixed it...after some confusion

elijahbird7

I was near my Lincoln dealer today, so decided to stop in to see if they had a fix for the Sync3 Navigation voice shouting at full volume at the beginning of a route.  He looked in his computer and found there was a bulletin for a certain build date range, with the Revel sound system, and my car was right in that range.  He said it was "SSM# 45747 Calibration Update-A07".  He said it would take approximately 30 minutes, and they could do it right then.  After the update was done, he came and got me and said it was all fine now.  I got in the car, which was still inside, started it, and set the Navigation for my route home.....it was shouting at FULL VOLUME again, but now, turning the volume down while she was shouting did not lower the volume at all (l!!!#)  Worse than before.  He then went up front to get the young lady who was their Sync3 expert.  She fooled around with just about every setting, and nothing seemed to work.  Finally, they decided to do a System Reboot on Sync3.  That worked.  So now, no more shouting lady, but of course, I had to pair my phone again, and the Lincoln Mobil Application sent me a notice that the application was not linked anymore, and then I checked that out, and followed the directions to restart the car, select ALLOW on the Sync3 screen, and then in 24 hours, I have to select ALLOW again before the application will work....

So now it should work correctly and I wont have to Mute the Voice command, which was going to be my next solution if they couldn't fix it.  Anyone having this issue can at least get a dealer fix.  My build date was in January 2016.

Time will tell, but if it works, but I am hopeing that version 2 firmware for Sync3 fixes the issue, I will punt and get the update installed if it doesn't come out soon.

This is one of the reasons that I don't use the NAV with voice on the vehicle. I would just as soon use my phone, rather than shocked  or wear ear plugs each time I use the NAV and don't adjust it.

Tested my July '16 build date, and voice commands totally mute radio, NAV lady voice dims radio output, but does not mute it.  Voice is normal volume and reasonably easy to understand.

Thanks for the update.  Does the Navigation voice turn down the music just a bit or substantially?  Also, what sound system do you have in your MKX?  Standard, Revel, or Revel Ultima?  Thanks.  Mike

Thanks for the update.  Does the Navigation voice turn down the music just a bit or substantially?  Also, what sound system do you have in your MKX?  Standard, Revel, or Revel Ultima?  Thanks.  Mike

Revel Ultima (or whatever the 19 speaker system is called).  Nav voice turns down music enough to hear the voice clearly.  As for how much, I did not test different radio volume levels.  I typically do not have my radio very loud though.  I may try different radio volume levels later to find out if it subdues the radio by a fixed amount, or to a fixed level.

Edited by VisionPilot

A little background on the "Shouting Lady" issue.  My MKX has the 13 speaker Revel system.  Navigation has started at Full Volume since I bought the car last April.  I could always turn the volume down during the initial startup while she was talking and the voice stayed where I would set it during that drive, but it always went right back to full volume the next time I would use it.  It also did not lower the volume of the music when Navigation was giving directions.  In June, there was the first SYNC3 update that I did by wifi.  The only thing that update did was to lower the music volume whenever the Navigation was giving instructions.  After the trip to the dealer last week, now the Voice volume stays at where I last set it, but  the music no longer lowers it's volume during Navigation instructions.  Not 100% where it should be, but my main focus was to get rid of the Full Volume "Shouting" at the beginning of each Navigation route, and that was accomplished, so I guess I will be happy for now, and see what happens with the next update.

Update..I drove to Wisconsin today to meet some friends for lunch and ice cream. On the way home, I turned on Navigation and selected "Home", as I have done most of this week after the Dealer visit. BIG surprise when on this trip, the music volume was automatically reduced each time the Navigation instructions were being given...so don't know what happened, but now it is working 100% like it should. I had tried it every day since I visited the dealer, and not once did the music volume lower for Navigation instructions...until today.