Aaronkr

2018 MkX strong musty odor

My 2018 MkX with 7,700 miles on it developed a strong musty odor inside about 6 weeks ago. The car is currently at the dealer for this and a windshield washer problem. The windshield washer, according to the service department, needs to be replaced along with some associated hoses. The musty odor is a different story so far. I was told they would "do their best" implying they may not be able to rid the car of the odor or find the problem. That is not acceptable.

The odor seems stronger in the cargo area. I can not find any wet or damp areas on the carpets, under the seats, in or under the spare tire storage area, or anywhere else for that matter. There are no damp spots at the base of the door trim either. I can sometimes smell the odor outside the car before opening the hatch or any door. I was hoping someone could offer some suggestions as to what might be causing the odor and where to look. If the dealer fails to find the issue I will be forced to take this to the next level.

Smell like your 2 problems could be related...

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 6.41.17 PM.png

Related issues? Probably! The windshield washer & rear hatch window washer functions are, of course, related since they both acquire washer fluid from the same source albeit separate pump outlets.