Cosmos36

2016-2018 MKX brake hose recall update.

Back in August 2020 Ford issued a notice by letter of a recall (# 20S42) concerning rupturing brake hoses on MKXs manufactured between 11/11/2014 & 12/21/17. The letter stated that dealers would be notifying MKX owners of parts availability at a later date. Since I've heard nothing further since , today I checked Ford's website: it stated that the recall was "incomplete, remedy not yet available". So, I called my dealer's service to confirm. They said that Ford recently provided notice that parts availability had been altered from 4th QTR 2020 to 1st QTR 2021. I've marked my calendar to keep track of this important service.

First quarter 2021 is over...any update on when the parts might be available?

No additional news yet of parts availability related to recall #20S42. It is apparent that both new purchases and replacement parts for many items are backlogged. I've recently tried to purchase a new kitchen appliance...was informed that a 4-6 month wait was possible. Auto plants are closing. Spare parts for a new portable generator are not in inventories and/or take weeks to receive. Lumber prices are up 17%. Local landscape services, roofers, etc. are swamped and difficult to schedule. Services, supplies, and new purchases that were readily at hand a short while ago  are now increasingly difficult to locate. Online inquiries to vendor Customer Services may or may not be answered. There's a definite change in the retail world today.

Thanks Cosmos36. I'm in a pinch over this as the mkx (the particular one I want)is at the dealership and they won't sell me it until the recalls done.

I have a buyer for my current one but if I sell I have no vehicle!

Everyone's in the same boat though...

As disappointing as it is, shows some pretty good Lincoln dealer integrity as other brand dealerships are still selling used mkx's affected regardless of the recall.

17 hours ago, Graftman said:

... and they won't sell me it until the recalls done....

At least they told you.   Previous wife Mini was caught in the Airbag recall and they told us after signing the contract. 

I'm so paranoid over the MKX 20S42 recall (remedy not yet available after months of awaiting parts) that I regularly inspect my vehicle's brake fluid reservoir. Earlier this week I came within inches of a 35 mph T-bone when some idiot pulled a crossing left turn in front of me after I had entered the intersection. But, at least Ford has informed me of a possible brake failure/pending fatality?

I called Lincoln Canada and they still are not aware of a timeframe for parts availability. All he said was that he knew the raw materials to fabricate the parts were not available when they thought. Pretty much aligns with what you said in your 2nd post.

Any idea what the actual issue is causing the leak? Not that I recommend messing around with brakes but if its just contact or heat causing the issue likely some preventive measures could be taken until parts available.

It says in the recall the light will come on if fluid gets to a certain level, but I hear ya, idiot lights are for.....

Its good you're checking the level.

It sounds like a leak, and not a sudden loss of fluid so thats some comfort I guess.

Patience is not my strong point and I really want this MKX! 

Graftman...I hear your anxiety over wanting a particular vehicle and confronting the obstacle that it isn't available for some reason or another. Fortunately, in my several decades of ordering new vehicles the only issue I've ever faced was the frustration of awaiting the production/delivery times involved. A spouse's new vehicle in 2010 was the only vehicle ever purchased from existing dealer inventory.

It is my understanding that the recall issue involves a possible fluid leak at the brake line's joint where crimped metal joins the non-metallic hose. Your info is likely correct that the issue is gradual loss of fluid and not immediate brake failure. So, hopefully any caution exercised by keeping an eye on the reservoir is warranted.

Good luck securing what you are wanting to purchase. I consider my 2016 MKX the best vehicle I have ever owned in a lifetime. It is why I continue to own & maintain it after five years/40,000+ miles.

Appreciate the info a ton. I actually have 3.5 ecoboost from 2010 in my current car and all the forum talk raised my anxiety a ton about this motors timing chain failing and the motor exploding.

Well its 2021 now and its got 206000kms on it and I have not had even one motor issue. In fact its just been maintenance stuff (tie rods etc)

Glad to hear you're having a good experience with the MKX. 

Its like my wife says "chomping at the bit isnt improving my negotiating position so at the very least keep it to myself and stop harassing the dealer!"

Your 206,000 km almost matches my record of 219,000 km on a 1991 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger used for commuting 180 km daily for a few years. I also had timing chain concerns with that engine, but it was still purring on the day I sold it. Today, as a DIY oil changer I've switched to the new ILSAC GF-6 synthetic oil which lessens concerns about chain wear & LSPI albeit Low Speed Pre-Ignition is primarily an issue with 4 cylinder engines, not so with the incredible 2.7L-3.0L V6 ecoboost engines.

PS...the wife offers sound advice. LOL

I am also a DIYer. I also have used synthetics from new, interestingly enough (and I actually never considered it) my usual oil of choice met the GF6 standard.

Im also a "jeeper" and pre-ignition is a major issue in my motor. I was leary to take the advice about switching to thinner oil (because of how it uses oil) but I used the gf6 0-20 and its a huge difference.

I will admit to have wasted more than a few hours on the bobistheoilguy forums.

TBH when ford brought the Bronco back and I saw the Sasquatch model I felt my Jeep allegiance waiver (just bit Lol)

The weird thing is I'm only a DIYer if I really like the vehicle. If I'm ambivalent I'd just as soon let the shop do it.

Called my dealer this am to check on status of brake hose recall (2017 MKX) who said parts first available date he showed was May 20 (sure hope so) so I made appt for then.  Twin Cities MN  Finally!

6 hours ago, jkoleh said:

...so I made appt for then.  Twin Cities MN  Finally!

Bonne chance but If you made an appointment for the 20 of May, odds are it will not happened.

Edited by NOTMY911

Dealer has confirmed that parts are in. Booked for Friday for repair.

Repair done everything good. Now I will be able to register and get Florida tags when we go down in a few months.Cheers!

Dropping my 2016 MKX off in about 20 minutes to have the brake hoses replaced. I know the notice said it is about half a day's labor. I'm still trying to get a loaner out of my dealer. I hate waiting for hours on end. How much free coffee and donuts can one eat....