Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

NOTMY911

Power Liftgate stop working

All of a sudden, after the power liftgate closed normally it re-open right away, stop halfway up and closed under power for the last time a few inches at the time.  After that that was it.

The latch does release from all locations (inside button, outside button, foot motion and the remote) and when I manually close it it grabs it and power latch it.  When release the liftgate open very fast (uncontrolled) from the pressure of the struts.  Once open and I try to close it, I can hear that its try to close but it just a thunk noise.

I checked the Power Liftgate Module fuse (# 76) but it was good.  Not a fun job to get there.  I did not bother to check the inside fuse #10 since I know that 3 out 4 functions it power works (Keypad. Power liftgate module logic power. Hands free liftgate module. Sync 3 Module). 

Probably # 8 (Power liftgate motor).

Update,

Actually when it lift up, it's under power.  Once open, no matter where I place the the liftgate short of latching it, if I press to "close or open" it its beeps the usual 3 bells but nothing happened and it beeps again.  If I press a second time, it open all the way up.

Maybe a progaming problem or the power lift gates motor is strong enough to open but not to closed

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 4.52.53 PM.png

After five years of totally baffling periodic miscues from the operation of my lift gate, I have long ago given up trying to diagnose its erratic behavior. Fortunately, such issues only occur on rare occasions...I just attribute such erratic problems to the lift gate's resident poltergeist. It's not a problem until I notice some spectator stares as I start driving off with the hatch open.

Edited by Cosmos36

I guess I was lucky for the last 4.5 years...

Must be gremlins.  Last night it only opened  half way, I pushed the button and this time it closed.  Pushed again it open half way, I put it 90% the way up, set the memory, got the beep, pressed again, it closed, pressed again it open, pressed again and it stayed open...  No more closing. 

Tomorrow, I'll unplug the battery for 15 minutes and see if it does anything.

7 hours ago, NOTMY911 said:

Tomorrow, I'll unplug the battery for 15 minutes and see if it does anything.

A few days ago a shop replaced my battery which caused a few new colors & displays to appear on the dash. Yesterday, a CEL appeared during a road trip. I haven't checked out the source of the CEL yet, but I'll bet it's related to the removal of the air filter (to facilitate the battery removal) in some way (e.g. mass air flow). I'm not a fan of modern vehicle computers/sensors being so sensitive to interruptions. Bah!

Sorry to digress.

Well, the Master Reset (disconnect the battery for 15 min.) did not work.  

Next time I'm in for maintenance or the Brake Recall, I'll have it fix under the extended warranty.