Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

Joe Bullard

2016 MKX Power Liftgate will not unlock!

My first time on the forum! I was wondering if anyone had ever had any issues with the liftgate not releasing when you activate it. The cylinders try to open it, but the lock will not release. Can’t find a manual release of any sort. Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum, Joe.

You are correct in noting there is no manual means to open the liftgate, just the three buttons located on the remote, the dash, and the liftgate (I've always wondered if Lincoln designers intentionally located the hidden button on the (L)iftgate just below the L on the Lincoln name).

There have been occasional reports here of the liftgate not responding to commands to open/close or closing with a loud thud, but I don't recall any report of issues that were resolved by the owner without a trip to the dealer.

Thanks for the reply. But this video is different than the Lincoln. The Lincoln has the access window but there is no release. The only way I see to get to the lock mechanism is with the panel removed. You can’t even see the lock through the access window. Called a couple of Ford service departments and of course they said it took a special tool to remove that panel. From the looks of it, I’m thinking they may be right. Probably another money gimmick!

I am having the same issue.  This is really irritating, I always thought they legally needed a manual override I guess that is just for car trunks. I brought it to the dealer and they told me they have to remove the whole panel $$$.  I watched all the videos on youtube like the one posted, crawled into the back, and when I popped off that plastic cap you have no access to the lever like you do in older models.  This seems like a boondoggle that starts with the latch and will eventually go to replacing the latch and the computer mechanism.  How much have you all paid to have this fixed? 

OK, so I think I got this figured out.  Please check out http://www.linhelps.com/content-730.html.   You have to disconnect the battery for 20-second to a 1 min.  Hook the battery back up, then open the back latch with the button near the license plate. The problem is apparently a voltage issue with the actuator.  There is also a manual override, however, it seems you need a circular key or some special tool that I am sure the dealers have.  There is no way to fit your finger into the hole after you remove the little plastic panel from the inside of the door.  But I can see a lever or some kind of mechanism that seems to push down to manually unlock it from the inside. I did not want to play with a screwdriver in there for fear I break some delicate wire or some electrical component. 

The biggest issue is they have to remove the whole back panel to replace the actuator. Maybe by greasing it will help loosen things up but I have a feeling I need a whole new piece or this is an indication you need a new battery and you don't have the juice to really pop it.    

I had the same issue on our 2016 MKX.  Dealer said it would have been $600 but we had the extended warranty so only $100 deductible.  They are replacing a motor.