Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

Sign in to follow this  
Rick65inlosangeles

Exhaust fumes in Nautilus

When under heavy acceleration (NOT FLOORED) merging into highway traffic or passing another vehicle.  The interior of my NEW Nautilus fills with the rotten egg smell of exhaust.  This is the exact same problem I had with my ’16 MKX and even after the dealer preformed the recommended procedures in Technical Service Bulletin 18-2057 which supersedes TSB 17-0035 the problem was less but was still present. 

This is one of the reasons, plus a few more that I got rid of the MKX and ordered a new Nautilus.  NOW I find out that I spent $63,000 for a vehicle with the same problem.  When in the hell is Ford/Lincoln going to get their shit together.

Yes I know.  I posted this same message on Blue Oval.  I want as much visibility of this problem so maybe someone at Lincoln will get their head out of their ass and pay attention to their customers. 

There are, basically, two causes of 'rotten egg smell' in cars:

1) Bad gasoline

2) Bad catalytic converter (usually caused by buildup or corrosion over time)

The fact that you state that this happens under normal acceleration really gives strong support to one of these two most common explanations.

Since you state this is a new car, the catalytic converter has probably not corroded or gotten fouled up by weird stuff being incompletely burned in your engine and coating the surfaces of the catalytic converter.

That means it is probably the gas you buy.

That is, unless you're one of the people who add lots of aftermarket additives to your gas tank. Most engines are going to run fine on regular, good quality gasoline from a reputable dealer. Adding more junk in yor tank is probably going to result in weird half-combusted chemicals that will coat your catalytic converter and cause a rotten egg smell.

Additives should be used sparingly, and only when needed.

Here's Scotty to tell you more about 'rotten egg smell' and catalytic converters.

He's a real mechanic (and a real whoot to watch):

Scotty also says that rotten egg smell can come from a bad battery. The hydrochloric acid could forming H2SO4, (rotten egg smell) and that could be a source.

Check the battery for leaks and corrosion.

My bet is still on bad gas or weird additives.

It is my understanding from owning 2 Ford Edge's that both had this issue and here is what I learned.  Under heavy acceleration or when going uphill as I do everyday.  The engine requires a richer amount of gasoline to be sent to it.  The computer dials up the richer mixture of gasoline and this is what causes the smell.  When your car decelerates, the smell comes out of the exhaust pipes and into your car's climate control system even though the intake is up front.  Just try it.  Turn off the blower motor and see if you still get the rotten egg smell.  My Toyotas also did this.