Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

schwagman88

Programming new remote for 2017 MKX

Newbie here and first time posting. I purchased a 2017 MKX Reserve a few weeks back and the seller only was able to provide one remote. Dealer wants $175 for a new one + $50 to program it. Locksmith quoted $275 to cut my own key and program the remote (OY!) I have found OEM remotes online for $100, and also found this link on the Lincoln site that gives instructions on programming a new remote: How to program your Intelligent Access key | Vehicle Features | Official Lincoln Owner Site

My remote is 5 buttons (image attached) and includes remote start, if that matters. Wondering if anyone can validate whether these instructions work for DIY.

Thank you!

Untitled.png

You can only DIY if you have 2 working keys.   This prevents a valet or mechanic from adding their own key.  If you only have one key you must use a Ford IDS to program both the old and new keys at the same time.   Some locksmiths have them and that's obviously what the dealer will use.    Personally I'd let the dealer do it - that's not a bad price.   Beware of some locksmiths who only clone your existing key.  If they do that then both keys will work but you won't be able to add another one or retrieve your keypad code, etc. since the system only sees one key.

Hey thank you for that info akirby. That makes total sense. 

One other thing I was told at my local dealer, the actual key being used on the 2017+ models can't be cut using existing key cutting equipment. Local dealer has an agreement with a local locksmith to cut keys for the new models. Said the equipment costs a bunch ($1500 - $2500 ?? forget what he said but it was high) and they had a hard time justifying the investment. Believe he said they charge over $300 to cut a key (the locksmith has to actually come to the ford garage and cut it in his truck. They charge an addon for this …."service")