Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

elijahbird7

Transmission shift between 2nd and 3rd

I have noticed something a little odd.  In my area, there are several areas of 35 mph speed limits.  It seems like when I go from a stop, and just get close to the 35 mph limit, and have very little pressure on the gas pedal to not go past that speed, the transmission shifts kind of slowly between 2nd and 3rd, and the tach goes from 1.5 to 2000 RPM during that shift.  But in a 45 mph speed area, it shifts just like it should between 2nd and 3rd because I am giving it more throttle.  Doubt this is a real issue, but it seems a little strange.  Of course I have it in D, so I guess I'll have to try S and see if happens there at all, likely not.

I did try S tonight, and it didn’t do the same because it shifts at higher RPM.

One thing I didn’t notice before when using S was the Automatic Engine shut down at a stop is automatically turned off when using S instead of D.

When I bring up the 8-speed transmission ratios (listed in the March 15 posting entitled Tech details...) and compare with the MKX's 6-speed ratios, your 2nd-to-3rd shifting observation at 35 mph & 45 mph appears to be what would be expected, i.e. no issue & nothing strange.

Had something similar happen too between 4 & 5 while in Drive. I was told by service rep that depending on how hard your on the accelerator the transmission might skip a gear depending on engine RPM. As Cosmos36 and tech said, no issue & nothing strange.

Yes, Lincoln has confirmed that the 8-speed is programmed to skip a gear in certain scenarios of gear, throttle, and RPM...perfectly normal and it prevents gear hunting & wear depending on throttle demand.

Tech things that I wouldn't have imagined years ago. I started out with a clutch and stick to change gears.    

Before I ordered my Nautilus I test drove one with the 2.0 EB.  I found that the 4 cylinder seemed too buzzy and the transmission always seemed to be hunter for a gear.  The following week I test drove another one with the 2.7EB and found it much smoother and the trans always hit the right gear.

Mine is the 2.7L AWD.

3 hours ago, Rick65inlosangeles said:

Before I ordered my Nautilus I test drove one with the 2.0 EB.  I found that the 4 cylinder seemed too buzzy and the transmission always seemed to be hunter for a gear.  The following week I test drove another one with the 2.7EB and found it much smoother and the trans always hit the right gear.

While both 8-speeds, they are actually different transmissions. The one in the 2.0 is a version of the joint GM-Ford 9-speed, with one gear removed. The one in the 2.7 is a up-geared revision of the previous 6-speed found in the MKX.

I purchased my vehicle in early March.  In May, I reported issues with what seemed like a "gear slip" between 3rd/4th gear.  Only when the vehicle had not been driven in awhile and the engine was relatively cold, the gear before it witched to 4th, would rev up to 3000 RPM and there would be a slight hesitation.  I was told this was resolved by a technical bulletin.  It was resolved until last week (August 14, 2019), when this gear slipping began occurring again.  This is not acceptable.  I consider it a potential safety issue when the vehicle pauses.  FWD Nautilus Reserve 2.7 Turbo V6.

On 8/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, PeaceNPray said:

I purchased my vehicle in early March.  In May, I reported issues with what seemed like a "gear slip" between 3rd/4th gear.  Only when the vehicle had not been driven in awhile and the engine was relatively cold, the gear before it witched to 4th, would rev up to 3000 RPM and there would be a slight hesitation.  I was told this was resolved by a technical bulletin.  It was resolved until last week (August 14, 2019), when this gear slipping began occurring again.  This is not acceptable.  I consider it a potential safety issue when the vehicle pauses.  FWD Nautilus Reserve 2.7 Turbo V6.

I bought mine in February, and I've noticed the exact same thing, but only when starting off and the engine isn't fully warmed up. I'll be sure to have it checked out when I take it in for my next servicing.

Sounds like there is good news. I called my Lincoln dealer today to set up my first service appointment and talked to the service manager. He said that they were just informed that there was a fix for this known issue and that he would be sure that it is done when my car is in for servicing. My guess is that it's a software update.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:14 PM, Gurgeh said:

Sounds like there is good news. I called my Lincoln dealer today to set up my first service appointment and talked to the service manager. He said that they were just informed that there was a fix for this known issue and that he would be sure that it is done when my car is in for servicing. My guess is that it's a software update.

Sounds good, I will mention to my dealer when I take it in before the end of the month.  Let us know how it goes.

I am also interested in information on this "software update".  I got mine on March 1st, and only have around 1,500 miles on it.  In the next week I will be putting away all my classic and modern convertibles and the Nautilus will then be my only driver until April.  Planning to get my first oil change in the next week or so and will ask my service manager about this.  The 6-speed on my '16 MKX always shifted so smoothly that I was surprised that this 8-speed has the feeling of a slip between gears and the tach shows a rise of about 500 rpm between shifts when it does happen.

I’d be interested in knowing the specific TSB number to see if it is the old one they tried on my vehicle, which did not hold. Please post this info so we can track and know if we need to request this if it is actually a new one. Thanks!

Here you go!

attachment.php?attachmentid=94&d=1571688

Edited by ronsec

When I try to push on the link, nothing happens???

I was also contacted today with information that a fix has been found for "transmission" issues for the Nautilus.  I will post the TSB when I receive that information from my service receipt.

Ron, can you provide your TSB #?  The link does not work you have provided.  Thanks!

Edited by PeaceNPray

There really is no link as I copied and pasted from another forum.  The top of the TSB says it is 19-2313.  Hope this helps.

On 10/22/2019 at 8:06 AM, ronsec said:

Here you go!

attachment.php?attachmentid=94&d=1571688

Edited by elijahbird7
Delete

After looking for TSB 19-2313, this is all I found:

"Harsh Upshift/Downshift, Harsh Engagements, And/or 4th to 5th Gear Upshift Flare with no DTCS Present"

So, that is not the shifting issue my post is about.

My dealership is also applying TSB 19-2313 to fix what is mentioned above.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:30 AM, Gurgeh said:

While both 8-speeds, they are actually different transmissions. The one in the 2.0 is a version of the joint GM-Ford 9-speed, with one gear removed. The one in the 2.7 is a up-geared revision of the previous 6-speed found in the MKX.

Anyone have more information on this? What are the model designations of each trans (6F55, 6F35, etc.)? I'm having trouble finding this info elsewhere.

10 hours ago, Laminar said:

Anyone have more information on this? What are the model designations of each trans (6F55, 6F35, etc.)? I'm having trouble finding this info elsewhere.

2.0 - 8F35

2.7 - 8F57

On 10/30/2019 at 12:05 PM, Laminar said:

Here's an Automotive News story on the two transmissions.  https://www.autonews.com/article/20180423/OEM01/180429934/no-thanks-ford-says-to-9-speed-offered-by-gm