Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

sdonaghey

Transmission Clunking

Anybody here experiencing the transmission clunking when shifting from reverse to D?  Yesterday while parking it was doing it really bad.  I would go into reverse, stop fully and shift into D and when I released the brake the transmission would clunk hard and loudly.  It did it many times, then I just turned off the car and went into work.  When I came out later and tested it out doing the exact same procedure it didn't do it anymore.  Almost like a software glitch.  I'll have to keep an eye on it, but just wondering if anyone has had this issue, since the 8spd transmission is new for 19.

I have indeed experienced that same phenomena, but only twice, and not in the last couple of weeks. I'm curious about it as well.

I've had that happen a few times, learned to shift slower, pausing slightly at N bewteen R and D. Allows the hydraulics to neutralize.

I've had that happen a few times, learned to shift slower, pausing slightly at N bewteen R and D. Allows the hydraulics to neutralize.

For a $50K car this should not be necessary.

All cars have quirks, no matter how much they cost.

That said, the six speed in the earlier years never did this

Walkabout, respectively I have to disagree with you.  I have a 2017 Reserve with the standard engine. (non turbo).  My biggest complaint with the vehicle is the transmission.  Not only does it clunk loudly when shifting out of P most times, more importantly it shifts at low speed most of the time with a clunk, a thud, or a bang.  I have had it looked at three times with the dealer and they tell me that after having several people drive the car, including the owner of the dealership that there is nothing wrong.  It is just an "MKX thing."  What nonsense!!  I am a senior fellow and I have driven many vehicles over the years.  Big, Small, Inexpensive, and Expensive.  None have behaved like this.  Our MKX has around 20K miles on it and it has been that way since we took deliver.  Once, they deleted all the memory and it was OK for a week or so and then reverted to its usual ways.  We also have  2011 Lexus RX with 45K miles on it and you could never tell when it shifts.  Keep in mind that this occurs primarily at low speeds between 0 and 30 mph.  Also it seems to be when it downshifts to a lower gear.  I am so disgusted with it that I am considering getting rid of it and try something else.  My only problem at this point is that I would take a significant financial hit.  I think that the dealer has been great but if they can not find a problem what else can they do?

Your issue should be documented with audio devices, witness testimony, etc. followed by commencement of lemon law documentation. Tranny performance of such nature is not normal & should not be considered uncorrectable.

Walkabout, respectively I have to disagree with you.  I have a 2017 Reserve with the standard engine. (non turbo).  My biggest complaint with the vehicle is the transmission.  Not only does it clunk loudly when shifting out of P most times, more importantly it shifts at low speed most of the time with a clunk, a thud, or a bang.  I have had it looked at three times with the dealer and they tell me that after having several people drive the car, including the owner of the dealership that there is nothing wrong.  It is just an "MKX thing."  What nonsense!!  I am a senior fellow and I have driven many vehicles over the years.  Big, Small, Inexpensive, and Expensive.  None have behaved like this.  Our MKX has around 20K miles on it and it has been that way since we took deliver.  Once, they deleted all the memory and it was OK for a week or so and then reverted to its usual ways.  We also have  2011 Lexus RX with 45K miles on it and you could never tell when it shifts.  Keep in mind that this occurs primarily at low speeds between 0 and 30 mph.  Also it seems to be when it downshifts to a lower gear.  I am so disgusted with it that I am considering getting rid of it and try something else.  My only problem at this point is that I would take a significant financial hit.  I think that the dealer has been great but if they can not find a problem what else can they do?

Have you tried the concierge or maybe a transmission shop for an opinion? Our '17 with the 3.7 does nothing like this.

My 2.7 2016 also does nothing like that. Shifts are smooth as silk and silent.

I had a 2014, and now a 2016 MKX. Never had any shifting issues at all. Shifts so smoothly that after the 2nd shift, the only way I know when it shifts from there is watching at the tachometer move.

I wonder if the complaint is because the car is parked on a slight Hill and car rests on great thus when shifting into drive it's hard shift like any other car ever

The problem occurs particularly at low speeds and in stop and go traffic.  If you get the car going and quickly have to take you foot off the gas or apply the break, the transmission drops into the next lowest gear (2nd I am guessing) with a thud or a bang or whatever you want to call it.  Somewhat frequently it does the same thing at around 30 mph.  If you accelerate through the gears without having to slow down right away everything works great.  As to an earlier comment, if I am on an grade (up in particular) it is even worse.  My wife has even commented about it and nothing seems to bother her.  I think she notices because her 2011 Lexus RX is nothing like this.  Other than that and a deck lid that drops the lase 4" or  5" and  closes with a bang, I really like the vehicle.  (FYI the dealer tells me that the deck lid is just another MKX  think also and I have seen several others do the same thing.  The Lexus closes very  smoothly and then latches.)

Cafpaf - I don't have either problem with my 2016.  I do have some problems, but not those.  Sounds like your dealer is blowing smoke up your pant leg.

Have not heard of this transmission issue in any reviews I have seen. Might it be the result of being a new model 8 Speed transmission? The price for innovation sometimes. Agree someone might want to record audio on their phone and than bring to the dealer.

I have the noise documented on my phone now.  Over the holidays the wife got out and stood next to the car while I shift the car from R to D a few times.  Hopefully the dealership will be able to hear it..lol.  I am going to make an appointment this week to get it picked up and looked at.  I'll probably stop by this week and talk to a service advisor first and show them the video.

I have the noise documented on my phone now. Over the holidays the wife got out and stood next to the car while I shift the car from R to D a few times. Hopefully the dealership will be able to hear it..lol. I am going to make an appointment this week to get it picked up and looked at. I'll probably stop by this week and talk to a service advisor first and show them the video.

That’s great; mine has only done it a couple of times so it’s not very repeatable. I’ll be curious to see what you learn.

Got our 2016 MKX Black Label with about 20,000 miles on it back today after Lincoln decided to replace the entire transmission rather than repair it for the second time in as many months. The first time, the car simply wouldn't go into reverse, period!  They replaced a bunch of parts including what they called the clutch mechanism.  This time the transmission broke down driving along a major boulevard at 35 mph and my wife had to coast to the curb., all gears failed to function.  The diagnosis showed that so much damage had been done to the transmission and the previous repair that it was more efficient (read: less costly) to replace everything.  We just picked it up an hour ago, we'll see how long this lasts this time.

I heard back from the dealership today who heard back from the Ford engineers.  The dealership was told the problem is caused by a throttle body in the transmission.  Never knew there was a throttle body it the transmission.  They are ordering a replacement and hopefully have it sometime next week.  Hopefully that fixes it.

There isn’t.  I wouldn’t trust that service advisor.  :)

Well we will see what the dealership's service papers say after the work is done.  Once I get the work done, I'll post on here what the description says of the work done.

2 hours ago, sdonaghey said:

I heard back from the dealership today who heard back from the Ford engineers.  The dealership was told the problem is caused by a throttle body in the transmission.  Never knew there was a throttle body it the transmission.  They are ordering a replacement and hopefully have it sometime next week.  Hopefully that fixes it.

Some, perhaps not all, auto trannys have THROTTLE VALVES that control shifting functions (including the selection of a proper gear and smoothness of the shift) Whether there is a component that contains the valve and is called a THROTTLE BODY, I don't know without researching it.

I guess I've been blessed with my 2016 MKX Reserve and 2018 MKX Black Label.  (Knock on wood)

Last month I drove the 2018 Black Label from the Upper Midwest to Southern California on the annual snowbird pilgrimage out of the Great White North.

I had zero issues along the way...  The MKX is such a pleasure to drive!  The adaptive cruise control, 22-way massaging seats and Revel Ultima sound system were icing on the road-trip cake...

If a Lincoln Dealer / Service Advisor ever told me a loudly clunking, poorly shifting transmission was "normal" for an MKKX, I'd be looking for a different dealer...

Timmer

On 1/11/2019 at 2:58 PM, sdonaghey said:

Well we will see what the dealership's service papers say after the work is done.  Once I get the work done, I'll post on here what the description says of the work done.

Did you get the work done? Did it fix it? Mine did it a few weeks back for a couple of days and not since.

Thank you!

I have the clunking issue, too, and none of the suggested causes were it.  I have a Nautilus Reserve 2.6 Turbo V6 purchased in March 2019.  I can be parked in my garage or in a hotel parking lot and intermittently (it doesn't happen all the time, but at least 4-5 times a week), when I go from R to D (yes, I pause and ensure the vehicle is at a complete stop and change gears v e r y     s l o w l y), there is a loud clunk and it is so loud it seems at times that I have hit something.  That is what several passengers thought who were recently traveling with me when it clunked and the entire vehicle shuddered.  The dealership's response?  We don't know how to fix it at this time, but the engineers are looking into it.  I have filed a complaint with Lincoln as I don't wish to wait until the vehicle is out of warranty and I have to pay out of pocket for a major transmission issue that has been haunting me since the early days of vehicle purchase.  There are five such complaints similar to this on car complaints.com.  I filed a sixth report, but it has not been approved yet.  If Lincoln does nothing, I will file a lemon law complaint.   I have had three separate issues - two related to the transmission and one related to the liftgate not consistently working since I purchased the car.  The liftgate issue cannot be replicated as it is intermittent as well.