Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

waltcmusic

Ordering a new 2018.9 Lincoln MKX 3.7L V6 Black Label... FWD vs. AWD and others?

Not to be a slave to CR (although I am) but no Ford engine has a high rate of repair. Engine problems are not a major factor for any car line right now.

I agree with akriby above go with reserve and get the options you want...except all the FWD part.

I really like the BL stuff but don't think it's worth the price especially since the stuff that do not get bl treatment are not all that great in in some places and it is a little polarizing. Functional things you will use daily imo exceed the look of the cowhide in value.

How's the reliability of Lincoln's AWD transfer case? I currently have a 2010.9 BMW X3 I'm giving up soon for a new Lincoln MKX, and the AWD transfer case is a troublesome part.

Edited by waltcmusic

Not sure why you think turbos are so bad. Trucks have been using turbo diesels for decades and they hold up just fine. These modern ecoboost engines are designed with turbos from the start just like the diesels. Ford tests them to 150K miles - same as every other engine.

Please type "Ford 2.7L problems" in Google search. Complaints are too high outside industry norm, compare to Toyota Camry sold in similar numbers.

Please type "Ford 2.7L problems" in Google search. Complaints are too high outside industry norm, compare to Toyota Camry sold in similar numbers.

There have been a few problems but I don't believe early turbo failure has been a big problem for any ecoboost engines.  Certainly not enough to say they should be avoided.

Google Search is also not a great way of determining problems. It has all sorts of sampling problems. People don't go online until they have a problem and buyers of some brands are also more likely to be online than buyers of other brands. 

If you really want to assess problem rates, you need to look at something that samples a representative group of buyers. All the sources I've seen that use that type of approach do have Lincoln with a high problem rate in general, but a low problem rate for engine problems.

Per Consumer Reports (my favorite source) the reliability of the V6 engines in the MKX has been much better than average.  And, in fact, reliability of MKX engines has been pretty much flawless since 2008.

The failure rate of Ford engines is basically so low that it is not statistically significant.

Other problems (like trim and power equipment) are quite common. 

I've decided to go AWD and order TWO new 2018 MKXs from each separate Lincoln dealer, one as a back-up just in case the financing department fails to get me approved on the Black Label, all because the MSRP is too high and banks won't take it. Because my dream AWD Black Label with Chroma Brown paint (and all options except tow package) cost $65,165 MSRP, I like to order a AWD Reserve in Magnetic Grey color (with all options except luxury and tow package) as well just to be safe, and it's only $57,440 MSRP. Both will be 3.7L V6.

What do you think? Good or bad idea? Or do I have to go FWD and remove driver assist package, just to satisfy banks? I don't mind losing the $500 non-refundable deposit reservation (is it?). I'm not sure what the other Lincoln dealer will say if I reject my order (Reserve trim) if I won my approval with Black Label trim for $65,165 MSRP.

If nothing works out by July 2018 that I'm ready to buy, then I guess I'll say goodbye here, and I'll be driving home in a new 2018 Acura RDX instead, which I'm already pre-approved due to its very-friendly $42,000 invoice price (banks happily approve) with all available options and AWD.

Edited by waltcmusic

I'm sure someone will put 2 and 2 together and figure out that you are bidding in two places.

Fortunately, you live in the US so the Ford Financing or Banks don't care about customer debts, so enjoy your MKX...

I'm sure someone will put 2 and 2 together and figure out that you are bidding in two places.

Fortunately, you live in the US so the Ford Financing or Banks don't care about customer debts, so enjoy your MKX...

Yeah, something about this whole thread doesn’t sit well with me. Not to judge, but if there’s concern about financing perhaps sights should be set a bit lower. OP, if your ratios are high, maybe take a step back from selecting a BL theme and focus on a reasonable transportation option and address any peripheral financial issues before worrying about being able to finance a $65K car. It’s JUST a car.

Good grief man - the bank can tell you right now whether you qualify for the Black Label before you order. Figure it out and order the one you want and can afford whatever it happens to be.

Honestly, I think the OP is just trolling everybody here. A few months back, there were two disgruntled posters on the board, one who had his vehicle bought back and one who kept gloating about his F-pace. I suspect that one of those posters re-registered just to have a little fun.

Honestly, I think the OP is just trolling everybody here. A few months back, there were two disgruntled posters on the board, one who had his vehicle bought back and one who kept gloating about his F-pace. I suspect that one of those posters re-registered just to have a little fun.

I'm still undecided with the ordering process, and there's 42 days left for me to plan. Still plenty of time. I've decided not to go for $1,750 Chroma Brown paint option after I slept overnight, and maybe only one MKX ordered. It could be FWD after all, since I like good MPG, of course. Thanks to everyone responding here. I live in Los Angeles county within music industry group, so I'm hopeful you don't suspect I'm the one re-registering. 

Edited by waltcmusic

Yes, but there’s a strange polarization between worrying about future financing and placing non-refundable deposits on speculation of future financing, if you see what I’m getting at. I’m not particularly wealthy (in fact a humble civil servant) but it would seem to me that if a person was living within their means they wouldn’t be presented with the challenges that you apparently are.

I wish you good luck in your purchase process nonetheless. I’m certainly not qualified to give financial advice!

Still browsing around... According to North Park Lincoln dealer located in San Antonio, TX, which is the #1 largest volume Lincoln dealer by sales in United States, they're dividing 3.7L strictly as FWD only, while 2.7L gets all AWD for inventory. This decision was made based on customer feedbacks. They decide not to opt for the $60 Enhanced Security Package in all 2018 MKXs, maybe due to complaints about the noisy alarm, and all of them gets the optional 22-way ultra-comfort seats. Check out the window stickers for each Black Label MKX.

http://www.nplincoln.com/new-inventory/index.htm?search=&model=MKX&trim=Black+Label&normalInteriorColor=&saveFacetState=true&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-trim-0

Edited by waltcmusic

I'm leaning towards not getting the Driver Assist package. I browsed through an Audi dealer website at Beverly Hills, CA, and only 3 out of 71 Q5s in-stock have adaptive cruise option installed. But over 50% have park-assist option, part of Audi's premium plus package. So, I will consider AWD and Technology package only for my upcoming Lincoln MKX, because that's how dealers normally order inventory.

My new MSRP build now drops down to $61,105. I skipped the 2.7L V6 Engine, Driver Assist, Trailer Tow, Enhanced Security, 21" wheels, $175 Cargo Accessories, and All-Weather Floor Mats. Looking good so far... Still have 41 days left before I place order.

Let me know if you believe why the driver assist package (with adaptive steering) is worth getting.

Edited by waltcmusic

Why do you care what dealers stock - especially an Audi dealer if you’re looking at a MKX.

I don’t get it - it’s like you want someone else to tell you exactly what to buy.

You'd normally 1) decide what you want to spend 2) pre-qualify at your bank or credit union 3) Check dealer stock and buy one or order if there's nothing you like in stock.

Buying out of dealer stock, especially a leftover, saves money. We got around $4500 off sticker without negotiating plus 0% APR through Lincoln credit. All done in a day.

You'd normally 1) decide what you want to spend 2) pre-qualify at your bank or credit union 3) Check dealer stock and buy one or order if there's nothing you like in stock.

Buying out of dealer stock, especially a leftover, saves money. We got around $4500 off sticker without negotiating plus 0% APR through Lincoln credit. All done in a day.

That depends entirely on dealer rebates. Normally Ford offers big rebates on leftover models but not always.

It was $2500 from Ford and another $2K from the dealer. I think the 0% APR was for 2017s only.

Did you got $4,500 off from MSRP or from invoice-price? You could have got it a little lower.

Edited by waltcmusic

Why do you care what dealers stock - especially an Audi dealer if you’re looking at a MKX.

I don’t get it - it’s like you want someone else to tell you exactly what to buy.

Because I don't know what options to order that may end up looking "inappropriate" to myself. So, I follow Audi dealer's advise that has the experience based on customer feedbacks and sales, and I save $2,250 already without needing Driver Assist Package.

Edited by waltcmusic

I'm with akirby on this.  Dealers stock whatever they stock because it optimizes their profit.  That may or may not correspond directly to what you personally want or need. 

Maybe the ones with driver assist sell faster and the ones without are the ones left on the lot.

Get what you want - to hell with what others think.

Just came back from my local Lincoln dealer last night for the second time with different salesperson and 20s younger age attitude, and he recommends Chroma Elite Copper exterior color ($1,750 option) and Indulgence theme. What's your opinion with copper color, and is it appropriate? Do I need to find a new salesperson again? Ugghhh...

I think the salesperson needs to find a new client.