Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

waltcmusic

Ordering a new 2018.9 Lincoln MKX 3.7L V6 Black Label... FWD vs. AWD and others?

I'm currently in the process to order one of the very-last 2018(.9) Lincoln MKX Black Label with 3.7L V6 engine inside, which will be discontinued starting with 2019 Lincoln Nautilus. I received a memo from Ford that the cut-off order date for 2018 model is 03/29/2018, so I plan to submit my order 7 days early on 03/22/2018. It takes 2.5 months to build, so the manufactured date will be June 2018.

1. FWD or AWD? I was told by my local Lincoln dealer that ordering a AWD for Black Label trim is "inappropriate," because Black Label caters mostly to urban cities with more Liberal-leaning population, plus urban cities receive less snow. There are also no Black Label dealers in rural towns. Fine-dining restaurants always close early during heavy snowstorms. He suggests that I stick with FWD only, or save money and downgrade with Select or Reserve trim with AWD. Select trim with 18" standard wheels work best for snow. Optional 20" wheels do worse. Going AWD is a pricey $2,500 option, and it can easily cost $63,000 max with only base 3.7L V6.

2. Should I go with the $2,250 driver assist optional package for FWD? I've heard adaptive steering doesn't do well in FWD configuration because it lacks adaptive suspension? Does it usually work better for AWD, which has adaptive suspension included?

3. Should I go with Rhapsody Blue (new for 2018) or Burgundy Velvet exterior color? What are the pros and cons for each? Which color is more masculine? Do rock player musicians like dark blue or dark red color better?

4. And to avoid making my new MKX look like a girl's car, which exterior and interior colors should I avoid? Should I go with Indulgence (dark brown) or Thoroughbred (orange) interior theme?

5. Finally, it's to my understanding that the base 3.7L V6 engine is a favorite high-mileage highway cruiser for corporate fleets, built to last-longer than Toyota, and my #1 reason for a MKX. Which engine you prefer? Twin-turbo engines do better for city driving, urban cities, and prefer lower-mileage or less-use. However, I don't think Consumer Reports would rate 2.7L V6 twin-turbo more-reliable than 3.7L V6 naturally-aspirated. 3.7L DOHC was originally designed by Mazda in Japan back in 2007, requested by Ford, to replace its old 4.2L OHV.

Tough choices to decide for me... Thanks for any opinions and suggestions.

Edited by waltcmusic

You should get a lot of responses, my opinions, AWD eliminates over steer, works better on wet surfaces (think heavy rain.) I have AWD and live in a rural area. Most of the time the streets are clear, but evey snow is not cleared immediately and AWD works full time, as needed. Is it worth it, more is better. But you probably will not miss what you never had. (It doesn't turn the MKX into an off-road vehicle.

Red, blue? Look at the car's on the road. Which do you see more of? (Think resale). Blue is really nice, but has a very limited resale market. Insurance sees red as more expensive (red is a hot rod color). Don't worry about which color is manly. White is the best selling color, black is a pita to keep clean, but is always the most manly color (if you need to bend to what others think). Rock musicians are immature, shallow and impulsive. What do YOU like?

18" tires ride smoother and are better in the snow, but not that much. (More flex in the sidewall). 20" tires look better (a lot better), but cost more (much more) to replace. I run 20". Screw the cost, they look better. Lastly, our "rural" area is a Black Label dealer.

Red, blue? Look at the car's on the road. Which do you see more of? (Think resale). Blue is really nice, but has a very limited resale market. Insurance sees red as more expensive (red is a hot rod color). Don't worry about which color is manly. White is the best selling color, black is a pita to keep clean, but is always the most manly color (if you need to bend to what others think). Rock musicians are immature, shallow and impulsive. What do YOU like?

I tried to add a black color, but the Black Diamond Metallic exterior color is discontinued for 2018 (it would be my first-choice), replaced with a carry-over cheaper Velvet Black Pearl as standard. I don't think it's worth getting a cheap-quality Velvet Black Pearl for Black Label. The next closest I like is Chroma Couture Dark Brown, but it's a $1,750 option (really, just for a paint???), as well as the Chroma Copper. The White Platinum Tri-Coat I'm okay with and feels more-expensive quality than Velvet Black (at no cost), but it works better for Thoroughbred theme, which I fear it's the most-favorite theme for older drivers. So, which exterior color fits me?

Edited by waltcmusic

We can’t help you with color selection - that’s your personal preference.

There is nothing wrong with AWD black label. However, with AWD you do get some maintenance issues and possible failures of the PTU so I would not get AWD unless you really need it.

I assume the 3.7L has the same internal water pump as the 3.5 and that can fail requiring either an expensive repair if caught early or more likely an engine replacement. Otherwise it is fairly bulletproof.

If your asking for opinions, everyone has one including me.  Definitely go with the AWD for resale sake, the Tech package is well worth it.  Any option that acts as a driver assistance will pay for itself the first time it helps you in a tough spot or even could potentially save your life.  If you are getting the vehicle to keep for a long time and you can afford it, I would say to load it up otherwise you will always second guess yourself and have regrets.  Colorwise, I think both the red velvet and rhapsody blue are terrific. I think the terracotta interior is not available with the blue - something to consider if you want that color.

Go with the AWD.  You'll get the Lincoln Drive Control with Continuously Controlled Dampening (CCD).  Much better ride and thus fits with the upscale Black Label.  Also in my opinion, the Drive Assist Package is worth it.  I love the adaptive cruise and collision warning features.  Lane keeping, isn't that great.  Adaptive Steering is very nice also.  Glad I have it.

https://owner.lincoln.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/dashboard-instrument-cluster/lincoln-drive-control.html

Going for the top trim level without AWD/Lincoln Drive Control with CCD makes no sense to me. I don't think your dealer knows what he's talking about. Look at the drive modes in the new Navigator that people are snapping up for six figures.

Fwiw, I live in LA. We never get snow or ice, and rarely even get rain. I purchased awd because I didn't think fwd made sense with all that torque. I've never regretted it. To me, the MKX is a much better overall driving experience with awd. I don't think fwd make sense attached to a powerful v6.

I also would opt for the 2.7 and not the 3.7. You'll get slightly better mpg with the turbo engine and vastly improved torque. One of the nicest engines I've experienced. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the 3.7 returns better highway mileage. That's not true at all.

In all honesty, getting a black label and then sticking with the base engine seems kind of silly.

Cr doesn't have ratings broken down by engine types. The overall reliability for the mkx (per CR) is quite poor. The frequency of engine problems is extremely low though.

I am leasing a red mkx. I like the color ok. But, if I lease another, it would probably be blue. Color is a personal choice, but I'm kind of meh on the choice I made.

Fwiw, I live in LA. We never get snow or ice, and rarely even get rain. I purchased awd because I didn't think fwd made sense with all that torque. I've never regretted it. To me, the MKX is a much better overall driving experience with awd. I don't think fwd make sense attached to a powerful v6.

I also would opt for the 2.7 and not the 3.7. You'll get slightly better mpg with the turbo engine and vastly improved torque. One of the nicest engines I've experienced. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the 3.7 returns better highway mileage. That's not true at all.

In all honesty, getting a black label and then sticking with the base engine seems kind of silly.

Cr doesn't have ratings broken down by engine types. The overall reliability for the mkx (per CR) is quite poor. The frequency of engine problems is extremely low though.

I am leasing a red mkx. I like the color ok. But, if I lease another, it would probably be blue. Color is a personal choice, but I'm kind of meh on the choice I made.

You are right, the AWD really pulls in all conditions. My FWD MKZ 2.0 spins easily when accelerating from a stop.

In fairness the CR reliability issue is with the previous generation 2015 and older.

Edited by MKXMark

There is nothing wrong with AWD black label. However, with AWD you do get some maintenance issues and possible failures of the PTU so I would not get AWD unless you really need it.

I assume the 3.7L has the same internal water pump as the 3.5 and that can fail requiring either an expensive repair if caught early or more likely an engine replacement. Otherwise it is fairly bulletproof.

AWD is always less-reliable than FWD. It may be possible AWD works best with 2.7L only, and 3.7L may not handle it. Any idea? If I decide to go with AWD, the best I can afford is with Reserve trim, and I get the smaller 13 speaker Rebel system instead. If I go with AWD Black Label, how can the banks approve me for a loan of $63,000 with only 675 credit score that I have? I don't want to put over 15% down payment if banks think MSRP is too high. Trade-in wholesale value is only $38,000, regardless of how many options there are. This isn't a Lexus where loans get approved easier.

Wasn't this water-pump issue already corrected starting with 2014 model? Ford already relocated the water pump back to its front area. I understand the 3.7L Isn't OHV, so we can't call it "totally bulletproof" vs. the older 4.2L OHV before that I like (last one was installed in a 2008 Ford F-150 regular-cab).

Adaptive Steering is very nice also.  Glad I have it.

How does FWD do with adaptive steering?

AWD works fine with any engine - no worries there. The smaller Revel system is quite nice. That’s what we have in our Reserve (FWD).

Going for the top trim level without AWD/Lincoln Drive Control with CCD makes no sense to me. I don't think your dealer knows what he's talking about. Look at the drive modes in the new Navigator that people are snapping up for six figures.

I think the dealer was more concerned how much I'm allowed to spend the max without overloading it with too many options. Black Label is designed for urbanites that don't go off-road or drive in snowstorms daily, so FWD is recommended. Reserve trim is for everyday Americans, and its AWD can travel the whole United States without limit.

The whole notion that you would select a trim level on a vehicle based on your socioeconomic status or political leaning is laughable IMHO. For goodness sakes, select the nicest vehicle you can afford or want to finance. To hell with what the dealer thinks you should be driving.

I have never heard such silliness from someone looking to purchase a car whether it be a Kia or a Bentley.

Agree - it’s completely silly. Get what YOU want and are willing to pay for and don’t listen to stupid salespersons.

Agree - it’s completely silly. Get what YOU want and are willing to pay for and don’t listen to stupid salespersons.

Does it affect the auto loan approval if MSRP goes up? I always thought the higher the MSRP, the less chance I can get approved. I hate cutting back on number of options just to satisfy banks.

Would definitely recommend AWD, not the least of which would be to minimize torque steer- esp if you get the more powerful 2.7L engine. See what the folks at Car and Driver had to say about that:

https://www.caranddriver.com/lincoln/mkx

I'm a big techie, so would recommend maxing options. And that 2.7L engine seems to be the consensus option as the budget allows.

Does it affect the auto loan approval if MSRP goes up? I always thought the higher the MSRP, the less chance I can get approved. I hate cutting back on number of options just to satisfy banks.

The bank will approve you for a certain payment amount based on your income and other debts. If the payment is too high you can put more money down or extend the loan period.

Just figure out the vehicle you want, then get the dealer to give you the out the door price. Take that to the bank and they’ll tell you what you have to put down and how long to finance it to get approved.

You’re overthinking it a bit.

How does FWD do with adaptive steering?

I can't answer that.  My MKX is AWD.  I've only driven AWD models.  My local dealer orders all MKX's with AWD.

I will say at slow speeds, having the adaptive steering is great for maneuverability.  Parking is a snap.  A couple quick flips of the steering wheel and you are in your spot.  You don't have to crank the wheel.  Nice thing now is that adaptive steering is part of the Driver Assist package.  When I ordered my 2016, it was a $625 stand alone option.

Mike

What a frustrating thread to read especially the fwd/awd debate. I will refrain giving you my opinion of the sales rep other then he/she appear to be a moron because anytime I think of luxury I think of FWD...sarcasm. I have driven 3.7 fwd and yes driven delicately it is fine but the feel of the vehicle the assurance of it's path and performance basically all things associated with what one would call sure-footedness is not there especially when pushed a little. There is a lot of torque so when it's wet just even morning dew it will slip torque steer, traction interference ect. Obviously when pushed in the dry you will experience the same level of torque steer. Adaptive suspension on this car is fantastic do not pass it up. My biggest regret is not going with the 2.7 engine that said unless I just came from a rental with the 2.7 I enjoy 3.7 very much just have to get the revs higher. It was the engine or the revel 13 speaker radio...revel won but the 2k price increase in already such a big investment would have been worth it especially when it's not for a.year but multiple years that you will live with it. The comments about things breaking down well I guess legit bit if that is a huge concern get the 38k base model so that it has no tech options so that they don't break. It's a weird way of looking at it in my opinion. Reserve is a great option black label even better though I'm.not sure worth the price. If it was me I would get reserve and load it up. Finally my car was 53xxx in 2016 2nd run when the car was brand new and to the best of my recollection I got 8k off (there is a post somewhere here with better detailes) Considering you are basically building the last of the cars before mid cycle refresh I would suspect the moron sales rep will give you a good deal at least 15% off msrp.

Edit: just read the rest of the posts here...get a different sales rep. Suggestion go to all dealers and ask for online quote usually a path to best price and if they want they will find the vehicle you want and it doesn't have to be 2018.9 you are not getting anything more then 2018.8 other you having less bargaining power because you won't buy a car off the lot. You seem to be open to some different colors options find options that are non negotiable and ones that would be nice make sure you pick the things you need and be flexible on all others.

Edited by thisguy159

Let's say that I decide drive my new 2018 MKX for 500,000 miles until the wheel falls apart. My needs have changed suddenly after a few years, and a longest-lasting comfortable highway cruiser is needed for my demand. Will I do better with FWD only, white color, Thoroughbred theme, and without driver assist package? I don't think adaptive steering can last for 20 years trouble-free.

I thought about going this route, only $58,500 MSRP, more affordable and reliable. 3.7L has a comfortable chance to reach 500,000 miles before 2.7L, which I will need to replace 4 or 6 turbos throughout its life, making maintenance cost far more expensive. People will junk the 2.7L twin-turbo early after 20 years, while 3.7L stays longer on the road because it's naturally-aspirated (no turbo).

As future years goes on with quad-turbos next, new cars won't last as long as the old ones, and 2018 MKX 3.7L V6 has peaked its highest in durability. 

Edited by waltcmusic

You going with a black lable I suspect all the mechanical bits will well Outlast the electronic ones.

Let's say that I decide drive my new 2018 MKX for 500,000 miles until the wheel falls apart. My needs have changed suddenly after a few years, and a longest-lasting comfortable highway cruiser is needed for my demand. Will I do better with FWD only, white color, Thoroughbred theme, and without driver assist package? I don't think adaptive steering can last for 20 years trouble-free.

I thought about going this route, only $58,500 MSRP, more affordable and reliable. 3.7L has a comfortable chance to reach 500,000 miles before 2.7L, which I will need to replace 4 or 6 turbos throughout its life, making maintenance cost far more expensive. People will junk the 2.7L twin-turbo early after 20 years, while 3.7L stays longer on the road because it's naturally-aspirated (no turbo).

As future years goes on with quad-turbos next, new cars won't last as long as the old ones, and 2018 MKX 3.7L V6 has peaked its highest in durability. 

I'd be nervous keeping this or any other modern day vehicle more than 10 years.  There is no way the technology in any of today's vehicles will last 15 to 20 years.  Too many points of failure and repairs are going to be expensive.  Plus, you will be getting an MKX with Sync 3.  I suspect a new system will be out within the next 5 years and just like Sync 2 is on life support now, Sync 3 will be in a few years.  If money is an issue, I'd look towards purchasing a Select or Reserve.  Or maybe even look at a loaded Edge.  Then plan on trading in a few years.  Just my thoughts.

One other thought with the Black Labels.  They are produced in limited quantities, so parts, especially interior parts with those unique colors, are going to be tough to get after they go out of production.  You break an interior piece, you probably won't be able to find secondhand parts for your interior color.

Heck, I went with the more limited Hazelnut interior on my Reserve and I'm even worried about that one.

Edited by mosh00

You are right, the AWD really pulls in all conditions. My FWD MKZ 2.0 spins easily when accelerating from a stop.

In fairness the CR reliability issue is with the previous generation 2015 and older.

That is not true. The 2015 was rated average reliability. 2016 forward is much worse than average.

I had a loaner 2017 mkz with the 2.0. Definitely had torque steer.

Not sure why you think turbos are so bad. Trucks have been using turbo diesels for decades and they hold up just fine. These modern ecoboost engines are designed with turbos from the start just like the diesels. Ford tests them to 150K miles - same as every other engine.

If you want less maintenance/repairs then get the 3.7L Reserve FWD without adaptive steering and then get whatever electronic stuff you want - electronics typically either fail under warranty of last forever.