JOEHIO

Remote start / heated seats & wheel

Recently discovered that when I remote start my MKX, the heated seats & steering wheel do not go on, even when 20 degree's.  I spoke to the tech at the dealership, he said that if it is too warm, the function will not work, so I left the car outside, and the next morning, I remote started the car, and the wheel and seats did not heat up.  Settings are set to 'Auto', and seats and wheel were on when I shut the car off the night before.  Anyone else experience this problem ?

What was the outside temp when you parked it outside?

Edited by akirby

Recently discovered that when I remote start my MKX, the heated seats & steering wheel do not go on, even when 20 degree's.  I spoke to the tech at the dealership, he said that if it is too warm, the function will not work, so I left the car outside, and the next morning, I remote started the car, and the wheel and seats did not heat up.  Settings are set to 'Auto', and seats and wheel were on when I shut the car off the night before.  Anyone else experience this problem ?

There is an additional setting elsewhere (don't recall exactly where sitting here at my desk) that allows your to turn on or off the seats and steering wheel, you may want to look for that setting.

Both options are in the same place in the menu.  Make sure both are set to Auto.

post-932-0-35888300-1516726091_thumb.jpg

Also check the duration.  If it's only 5 minutes they may be turning off before you get in.

Edited by akirby

As many times as I've been through the menus I missed those settings. Just checked mine and set the durations to 15 mins.

Outside temp was about 26 degree's.  I kept it outside tht night, knowing that if it was in the garage (temp about 45) it would not work.

Duration was set for 15 minutes.

Both settings are set to Auto mode, and duration is 15 minutes.

If they’re not coming on after running for 5-10 minutes on a below freezing morning then something is broken.

Hi JoehIO, I have had the same issue since 2011. 3 apim and many visits to the dealer, calls to Ford tech line by service tech. I was advised to just live with it. I notice when there was snow on the windshield the auto feature would work. I was going to cover the light sensor

to mimic this condition. Never got around to test that out. I "learned to live with it."

Best of luck.

Hi CARR142,

I'm also in Jersey, Union County, near Westfield.   I am not happy that the dealer said all is okay, when it is not.  Not acceptable for a car that stickered at $63+ K !

I will keep posting updates.  Ready for the lemon law.

The seats/wheel are not coming when remote starting my Z either.

If I'm reading the manual for the 2016 correct2, it doesn't come on during remote start.

"REMOTE START (If Equipped) The remote start feature allows you to pre-condition the interior of your vehicle. The climate control system works to achieve comfort according to your previous settings.

Note:You cannot adjust the system during remote start operation. Turn the ignition on to return the system to its previous settings.

You can now make adjustments normally, but you need to turn certain vehicle-dependent features back on, such as:

• Heated seats.

• Cooled seats.

• Heated steering wheel.

• Heated mirrors.

• Heated rear window.

You can adjust the default remote start settings using the information display controls. See Information Displays (page 98)."

If I'm reading the manual for the 2016 correct2, it doesn't come on during remote start.

"REMOTE START (If Equipped) The remote start feature allows you to pre-condition the interior of your vehicle. The climate control system works to achieve comfort according to your previous settings.

Note:You cannot adjust the system during remote start operation. Turn the ignition on to return the system to its previous settings.

You can now make adjustments normally, but you need to turn certain vehicle-dependent features back on, such as:

• Heated seats.

• Cooled seats.

• Heated steering wheel.

• Heated mirrors.

• Heated rear window.

You can adjust the default remote start settings using the information display controls. See Information Displays (page 98)."

And if you go to page 102 you'll see the following settings:

post-932-0-45244800-1517598567_thumb.jpg

You can set the seats and wheel to heat up during remote start.   If those options are selected and the temp is near freezing and they're not coming on there may be a problem.

That verbiage is simply telling you that if you had seats and wheel set to come on during remote start, you'll have to turn them back on manually after you start driving.   They don't stay on after remote start is disengaged.

My rental (paid by the insurance) 2018 Durango R/T turn them on on remote start, stay on after I press the ignition on button and display the control for me to turn them off.

If they were to offer 360 camera and adjustable suspension, they could be a rival.

Changed remote settings to last setting and all works fine !

Joe,  Does that mean that they will only come on if they were on when the ignition was shut off or does it simply refer to it is was the cooling or heating feature that was on?

In my test of these settings last winter, this is only true during the remote start phase.  As was mentioned previously, once you actually turn the car on by pushing the start button, all heated/cooled seat and steering wheel functions revert to OFF, whether you use LAST SETTINGS, or Automatic.

Edited by VisionPilot

In my test of these settings last winter, this is only true during the remote start phase.  As was mentioned previously, once you actually turn the car on by pushing the start button, all heated/cooled seat and steering wheel functions revert to OFF, whether you use LAST SETTINGS, or Automatic.

Are the indicator lights for the heated seats on prior to turning the car on?

No. There are no lights on while it’s in remote start mode.

No. There are no lights on while it’s in remote start mode.

This may explain why people don't think the heated seats are coming on. I do remember last fall seeing the seat cooling indicator lights upon entering the vehicle (or starting it, can't remember). I remember being glad to see the seat cooling had been activated and it was set to automatic.

Richy,

I believe that they only come on if they were previously on when the car is shut down, I'll have to check this out.  I'm now a swap driver at our dealership, this p/t job is turning into a 30-40 hr week, and the PLUS is if I want a new Ford or Lincoln, I get at dealer cost.  Guess I'll keep this job until I quit driving.

Are the indicator lights for the heated seats on prior to turning the car on?

During the remote start phase, not that I recall.

I don’t have an owners manual.  Can someone please walk me thru changing the remote one start settings.  Thanks.