Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

Sign in to follow this  
greyfox47

Another mysterious rattle.......

I've owned my '17 MKX Reserve since Feb 21st. During that time, I've issues with headlight alignment, two early cabin rattles, one resolved, one not, and now a new vibration rattle has started. Seems to be coming from the back seat area and is constant. My dealer is 35 miles away, which is too far for making this a bi-weekly ride. And because their streets are in excellent condition there, sometimes reproducing the rattle is more than challenging. All this amounts to a situation where I increasingly find myself listening more than enjoying when I drive the car. I really like the styling and comfort of this car but a chronic case of buyer's remorse is starting to settle in. I told the service counter rep during my last visit that the year old loaner they gave me for the day is a lot quieter than mine and has almost twice as many miles. I then got a short remark that hinted that sometimes the source of rattles prove to be almost impossible to locate. I'm thinking to myself "you gotta be shitting me!" I just spent $50K+ for a rattle box? 

Check the seatbelt tab between the door and seatback in the back seat.  Very common.

Check the seatbelt tab between the door and seatback in the back seat.  Very common.

Would this be a rattle that the latch makes with the adjacent plastic trim? Riding in the backseat while the wife drives didn't show that to be an issue. I buckled the two backseat belts and will see if that does anything. I gotta say that if I had any idea of the little annoying squeaks and rattles I'm going through, I absolutely would never have purchased this car. It's literally gotten to the point where I don't want get in it and drive. Over the top disappointed.

The tab hangs between the seat back and the plastic trim and rattles against the trim.   All you have to do is turn the tab sideways.

Other than that our 2016 is rattle free.

Check the tightness of the spare tire, the placement of the jack, tools and handle; and any other items in the well.

I had a similar rattle and traced it to my towing ball and ball mount assembly. I had wrapped it in a heavy rag, but it had shifted position and started rattling anyway.

I've owned my '17 MKX Reserve since Feb 21st. During that time, I've issues with headlight alignment, two early cabin rattles, one resolved, one not, and now a new vibration rattle has started. Seems to be coming from the back seat area and is constant. My dealer is 35 miles away, which is too far for making this a bi-weekly ride. And because their streets are in excellent condition there, sometimes reproducing the rattle is more than challenging. All this amounts to a situation where I increasingly find myself listening more than enjoying when I drive the car. I really like the styling and comfort of this car but a chronic case of buyer's remorse is starting to settle in. I told the service counter rep during my last visit that the year old loaner they gave me for the day is a lot quieter than mine and has almost twice as many miles. I then got a short remark that hinted that sometimes the source of rattles prove to be almost impossible to locate. I'm thinking to myself "you gotta be shitting me!" I just spent $50K+ for a rattle box? 

Have friend sit in the rear and while driving ask him/her to try and approximate the location of the noise.

What conclusion did your friend reach?

I had this one myself.  Once I ID'd the problem I now realize that after anyone is in the back seat I need to simply reposition the buckle sideways from the rear door plastic.  Its certainly a PITA but thats the culprit!

Grayfox47, did you ever find your rattle?

Grayfox47, did you ever find your rattle?

I'm happy to report with a resounding YES! During the 4th trip to the dealer, the tech heard the rattle. The previous 3 were a waste of petro. They held the car for two days looking for the mysterious noise, which occurred at about 65 mph regardless of surface. The only variance was how loud. I guess I was unlucky the 3 trips where nothing was heard. Anyway, it was a loose shield under the car on the passenger side. The tech added some insulation (?) and tightened the shield and I was immediately on the hook for a dozen donuts the next time I go in for service. I was fortunate to get the same tech, Josh Papp, on every occasion so he knew the car well. Needless to say, I'm about 500% happier with the purchase now that it's as quiet as I had hoped when I wrote the check. And... unless he goes elsewhere, I definitely have a preferred tech at the dealership. 

Outstanding. Amazing how sound can travel, making one think it's here when actually it's there. Glad It's fixed. :thumbsup:

I'm happy to report with a resounding YES! During the 4th trip to the dealer, the tech heard the rattle. The previous 3 were a waste of petro. They held the car for two days looking for the mysterious noise, which occurred at about 65 mph regardless of surface. The only variance was how loud. I guess I was unlucky the 3 trips where nothing was heard. Anyway, it was a loose shield under the car on the passenger side. The tech added some insulation (?) and tightened the shield and I was immediately on the hook for a dozen donuts the next time I go in for service. I was fortunate to get the same tech, Josh Papp, on every occasion so he knew the car well. Needless to say, I'm about 500% happier with the purchase now that it's as quiet as I had hoped when I wrote the check. And... unless he goes elsewhere, I definitely have a preferred tech at the dealership. 

Glad to learn you got it resolved, greyfox47.  I had the same issue with my vehicle.  Just posted about it in another thread...

Timmer