Sign in to follow this  
santorek

18" wheels on a 2016 MKX Reserve

I finally decided on getting a 2016 MKX Reserve but i did not want the 20" wheels that come standard on it. I found out that you can order the Reserve with 18" wheels, but you don't get the nice looking wheels that are on the Select model. You get the 18" wheels tat are on the Premier model with a downsized tire. After much frustration with Lincoln and my dealer I had to settle for these tires and rims, but I thought the ride quality was important enough to me. Is anyone out there ordering a Select that would want a free upgrade to 20" wheels? I'd be willing to swap, but it has to be fast, because i think my car is going into production soon.

Also, has anyone been successful with their dealer in swapping wheels on the Reserve?

The dealer probably wouldn't do it on a stock new vehicle but they might find a new customer who would be willing to swap with you.

Seems to me, any dealer would be happy to swap rims and tires as a courtesy to you and a $2500 add on the other car. Also, can I can ask why you would prefer the 18's?

Wouldn't the selective ride mode give you the comfort you might want?

18s have taller sidewalks and absorb bumps better.

Swapping wheels can cause all sorts of issues with dealer stock since the dealer inventory and window sticker still shows the original ones. That's why it's better to find one that was already sold and do the swap.

I changed from 21" to 18" wheels and the ride is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. The dealer would not do the swap.

The selective ride really didn't make that much of a difference. The wheel/tire size made a big difference. Don't be lured in by the big bright shiny wheels!

Edited by Sponson

With todays road conditions more sidewall in a better idea, at least around here. My wife has factory 20's on her MKZ and all are bent, and we are not aggressive drivers. Years ago it was common place to change to a smaller wheel and bigger tire with some vehicles. Bigger wheels may have a more aggressive look and better performance at +100 mph speeds but my more immediate concern is to get past these chuck holes with as little damage as possible.