Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Have you noticed exhaust fumes in car?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:58 PM

I've never noticed any odors in my MKX except the fragrance of leather (and likely some formaldehyde), but living in the Pacific NW climate doesn't offer any occasions to use recirc and only AC in rare instances...lucky me!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   IggyAZ

IggyAZ

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:44 PM

During my recent recall for Recalibration of Throttle Body I asked about the exhaust smell.

They gave the typical answer that they have not heard anything and I asked them to keep that in my cars file as an open item.

I have read the letter one previously posted here which is yes we have a problem with exhaust gasses in the car but don't worry about it as it won't kill you. LOL

As other have said if I bought a high quality and costly car of this caliber I would expect a better solution.

So anyone buying a Ford or Lincoln expect exhaust gasses to enter your cabin when you accelerate with recirculate air on.

Maybe one day they may tell us why it is happening and from what?

• jacmkx likes this

It's Here- 2016 MKX with Sync 3

#43 OFFLINE   IggyAZ

IggyAZ

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:48 PM

Cosmos36

So why don't you test on your car to see if you have the same leak.

AC - ON

Recirculate - ON

Fan - ON

Accurate onto a highway at partial or full throttle and tell us what you smell?

Being in a cool climate is irrelevant to our concern.

It's Here- 2016 MKX with Sync 3

#44 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

What difference wold the AC make? That just electrically engages the compressor. Airflow is the same.

The only variable is whether in the recirculation mode, or normal flow through mode.

Think everyone is reporting that it occurs when using recirculation mode. This would seem to indicate that the fwd vents are scavaging out and the rear vents are acting as inlets.

Seems like they need check valves or redesign the car like the earlier models. (Never had a problem like this on my 09.)

#45 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:21 PM

Iggy...In returning to Oregon from my September-October vacation in the South Mountain (Chandler), Goodyear, Apache Junction vicinities, including a run to Old Tucson, I today concluded some driving in my local area to wrap up seasonal testing specifically for the exhaust odor in the MKX. In both the PHX driving in 80-100+ temps and locally in 50-65 degree temps using the HVAC system in every available combination of settings and driving conditions in both locales (including rear seat passengers in Arizona), neither my passengers, I, nor my spouse ever detected any exhaust odors in my MKX. That's just about as relevant as I can make it, especially related to temps and locale.

#46 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:02 PM

As you have reported that you never noticed it, it looks as though it only happens to specific cars. Possibly specific build dates?

#47 OFFLINE   jacmkx

jacmkx

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouthwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:45 PM

Yes, we have a 2016 MKX, we have complained about exhaust smell since day 1. It has been almost 18 months, the car still smells to this day. We finally got the dealer and Ford to admit, there was a smell, which they did reluctantly. We were told in Dec 2015, that a emissions software update was coming in the 1st quarter of 2016. It's February of 2017, still no update.  

We smell the exhaust when getting on the freeway, doesn't matter what the temperature is hot or cold, or the air settings within the car. 

#48 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:50 PM

This issue is as baffling as the purported MKX wind noise. I'm just ecstatic that my MKX doesn't have either of the two issues or any other to date after 15+ months of ownership.

#49 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

This issue is as baffling as the purported MKX wind noise. I'm just ecstatic that my MKX doesn't have either of the two issues or any other to date after 15+ months of ownership.

Baffling indeed.  My first X had the 'issue' (which never bothered me) but my current one does not!

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#50 OFFLINE   jacmkx

jacmkx

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouthwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

Yes, our MKX still has the exhaust fumes upon acceleration. We had it inspected again by a Ford Field Tech, on test ride naturally it did not produce the smell. On the way to the inspection it did. It is baffling and aggravating. We are awaiting the report from the inspection, since we are litigation, the report goes to Ford and then us.We will post the results.  

• Cosmos36 likes this

#51 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

Adam...how are you liking the silver color of your new MKX vis-a-vis the Luxe on your previous vehicle? Silver is one of my favorite colors, always having one in my stable usually alongside a metallic grey. My current Luxe was a change of pace.

BTW, a few days ago the spouse & I spotted our first current gen MKX (a white one) in the wild since sales commenced c. 18 months ago. They are certainly rare in my region, but I actually enjoy it.

#52 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

Adam...how are you liking the silver color of your new MKX vis-a-vis the Luxe on your previous vehicle? Silver is one of my favorite colors, always having one in my stable usually alongside a metallic grey. My current Luxe was a change of pace.

BTW, a few days ago the spouse & I spotted our first current gen MKX (a white one) in the wild since sales commenced c. 18 months ago. They are certainly rare in my region, but I actually enjoy it.

Love the silver metallic. Same as my 2013. My favourite is black, but I struggle to find the time to wash the car, so silver it is. Luxe was nice, but I began to see too much brown.

If I had purchased a 2017 it would have been the granite colour.

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#53 OFFLINE   Antiramie

Antiramie

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationSarasota, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKZ

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

Hey guys...new to this site...but did a Google search for highway exhaust smell and found this thread.

A few months ago I bought a 2013 MKZ 3.7 with about 33k miles on it and have noticed from day one a strong gas/exhaust/burning smell specifically when accelerating onto the highway.

I notice the smell whether I'm accelerating quickly or slowly. Also, the A/C is always on when this occurs (not in recirculating mode either...though I can smell it then too).

I recently mentioned it to my mechanic and he looked it over and told me there were no oil/injector/gas tank leaks. He did mention that he's seen/heard of a lot of issues with the new capless gas tank inlets, but as far as he can tell the smell doesn't sound like a serious mechanical issue...if it was it should have thrown a code by now. Whether this is a safety issue I'm not sure.

Someone previously mentioned it could be related to the oil being overfilled, but mine is fine.

It's becoming an obnoxious problem knowing that everytime I get on the interstate my car is going to smell like crap for 30 seconds. One of my friends mentioned the possibility that the previous owner might have babied the car, allowing stuff to build up in the cat...and now me driving it more aggressively is blowing that built up stuff out. I still don't know why there would ever be a smell in the cabin though. I'm going to try and put some premium in it soon and take it on the interstate for a long ride, but if that doesn't help I might be heading to the dealership shortly after.

Edited by Antiramie, 23 July 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   westerberg

westerberg

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Black Label

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hello, new owner of a 2016 Lincoln MKX Black Label here.  I noticed the "egg" smell while doing some highway driving the first week we received our car (approx. 2 months ago).  Haven't driven it much since then since it is my wife's primary vehicle.  Has anyone been able to put some type of instrument or detector inside the interior of the car to measure if there is CO2 gas seeping in or any other potentially harmful gas that can be detected by a device?  Thanks in advance!

#55 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

I just ordered a First Alert 10 year battery powered Carbon Monoxide detector for my car.  While I have yet to notice any exhaust fumes, I'm curious if any CO is entering the vehicle.....   

#56 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

"Rotten egg" order is attributed to gasoline with a high sulfur content. It's common to all cars, although you usually only detect it on rare occasions.

It's also possible for your HVAC system to pull in exhaust from an adjacent vehicle. I had this happen many times; diesel exhaust being the worst.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell if your car or those around you causing the exhaust smell. On a slow-moving freeway, or in city trafgic, you are surrounded by dozens of cars and trucks, each expelling exhaust gas, and your ventilation system is drawing this outside air into your cabin.

If it's your car, it should disappear as soon as it gets through the high-sulfur gas. I would only get concerned if it continues and doesn't go away.

I wouldn't be concerned and buy a CO alarm, if the CO got high enough to affect you, your eyes would already be watering as well as other effects.

Neighbor who used to live next to me had marital problems and locked himself in his garage, with the engine running. Another neighbor who lives a couple of doors down was doing work for him and came down to start the job. When xxxx didn't answer, he got suspicious and went in,and found him. He had been in his car, in a closed garage for a little over 1/2 hour. Groggy but awake, he recovered and was discharged later that day. (Should have been kept for observation imo, but the country psych released him, satisfied he was ok).

Of course carbon monoxide is very dangerous, but every car is pulling in exhaust for the car ahead, and all the car's ahead of him, but we never really notice it unless it gets too strong, or has a odor like you noticed.

Ran across this youtube video on rotten egg order in the Explover and the TSB that is supposed to fix it.

Edited by enigma-2, 01 August 2017 - 02:44 PM.

• Timmer likes this

#57 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

I just ordered a First Alert 10 year battery powered Carbon Monoxide detector for my car. While I have yet to notice any exhaust fumes, I'm curious if any CO is entering the vehicle.....

Its doubtful that it will ever go off. To use it, you will need to keep it out of the sun an keep the windows closed with no hvac fan running (on high).
These alarms (not detectors) are set to trigger at not less 70 ppm between one and four hours expisure, at 150 ppm between 10-50 minutes and, at 400 ppm between 4-15 minutes. At 70 ppm you will probably never have a symptoms (no discomfort).

Here's a guy on YouTube that's overly concerned about his exposue, but it's interesting in that he actually used a good meter to get a instantaous readings.
https://youtu.be/z1KIBl6iX-E

and an even better one from MactFordEdge.
https://youtu.be/GftEGeXMqxQ

Edited by enigma-2, 01 August 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

This is an interesting video where a police department tested several different types of CO alarms inside their Explorers.

#59 OFFLINE   FLLincoln

FLLincoln

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:MKX

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:51 PM

I have a brand new 2017 MKX and have noticed the smell from day one. I actually found this forum after driving for two days and researching online. I was hoping it would disappear after a while, but it has not. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. With the news of Explorer issue getting attention, has anyone contacted a dealer? It appears the issue resolved for a few folks after long drives or not driving with the AC on. I live in Florida and that's not an option. I'm getting the smell in recirculation and normal mode.

#60 OFFLINE   Jestucker17

Jestucker17

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MIX 2016

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

I have a 2016 MIX that was the last one on the lot. I got a great deal on it and I have had an exhaust smell in the cabin while my A.C. is on recirculate and only during heavy acceleration like when you get onto the Interstate. Lincoln has already replaced my entire exhaust and catalytic converter. I actually just brought it back again yesterday and in a rental because I'm still having the same issue with the smell inside the cabin upon acceleration. Other than that I do not smell it during sitting in the car or just driving normal.

Edited by Jestucker17, 02 August 2017 - 08:38 AM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·