Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

thisguy159

2016 MKX vs 2017 & 3.7 vs 2.7 question

Hi, I'm brand new to Lincoln and am in the process of buying a MKX now.  I have an option of getting the upgraded 13 speaker stereo or getting the 2.7 engine depending which model I choose but my budget allows for one or the other, I'm just not sure which one I should pick.  I am very excited about the car and the fact that my model 2016 will come with Sync 3 (even better today I learned that Android Auto is coming to all Sync 3 units!).  That said I have found NO reviews of the 3.7, I would probably not hesitate on the engine if the trans wasn't ummmm...old and a 6 speed, however being that the vehicle is heavy (AWD) I don't expect performance to be great.  Can somebody tell me a little about the 3.7 AWD performance like what is the 0-60 at the very least.  Also i know this model is new for 2016 but I'm towards the end (I think) of the production cycle and I would expect the 2017 to start showing up around April/May, do I have that correct?  Whatever that time frame ends up being does anybody know anything about the 2017 MKX, I would be shocked if the updated the front end to the new Lincoln grill which inevitably will happen 2-4 years from now.  Also I assume that the 2017 will retain the 6 speed as the MKZ will also have the 6 speed in 2017.  Thanks for any info and feedback.

Both the 3.7 and 2.7TT use the same transmission... the 6F55.  Not sure if I've come across the 0-60 on the 3.7, but Motor Trend clocked the 2.7T at 6.4.  I have the Car and Driver article at home, but if I recall correctly their article had a similar number.  So I would imagine the 3.7 would probably be closer to 7 seconds.

You will really have to drive both engines and make your own assessment.  My 'old' MKX had the 3.7 and it was a fine engine.  Nice, deep growl but it had a bit of a flat spot in its acceleration.  The 2.7T has no flat spots in its power delivery, but doesn't have the growl in its exhaust note.  Also, before the winter I was getting about 1 L/100km better fuel economy than my old X.  Now, for some reason, it is getting the same.

Yes, you will likely see 2017s towards the summer of this year.  I doubt there will be much of a difference between the current-build 2016 and 2017 MY vehicles.

I have never seen a timed performance review of the 2016 MKX with the 3.7l engine, however www.automobile-catalog.com states a 0-60 time of 6.8 seconds for a 3.7l AWD. Note that the 0-60 time is based on a ProfessCars calculated estimate (base vehicle weight, full fuel load, 200 lb driver), not a timed run.

Thanks.  I am doing exactly that, test driving again before committing to one after that. Hope to be picking it up tomorrow.  I realize they both have the same trans, I'm just not a fan of it.  If it was an 8 or 9 speed i would go with the 3.7 w/o a second thought.  The reason I'm considering the 2.7 because I think it makes up for the 6 speed. I would be stunned if the 3.7 got to 60 in 7, i would imagine it will be closer to 8.  I also test drove some other cars my other favorite was the MDX and the engine refinement was really noticeable between the honda and ford engines from what I read the 2.7 would be closer in refinement.  Don't get me wrong i'm not looking to race this thing for for 50k i want to be in the mid 6 sec range.  Surprisingly, acura's engine/transmission combo outperforms the even the 2.7 with all the extra power the 2.7 has.

If you are a long time Honda/Acura/Japanese car buyer, you might want to pass on the Lincoln. The American brands can't seem to figure out how to screw a car together as well as the others.

Have you checked out the new RX 350?

I do not agree with that statement...Toyota sucks!

Edited by thisguy159

lol well, I've seen many a 'convert' be very disappointed in their domestic vehicle purchase.  Just fair warning.

Personal Choice:  I would get the radio.  I have a 2016 MKX AWD with the 3.7.  I previously had a 2014 MKX with the 3.7 package.  It is plenty of motor for the car.  I purchased the 2016 with the 13 speaker Revel sound system, and in my opinion, the Revel is the better trade off.  It is really a personal choice though, and you might feel differently.  Either way, I think you will be happy with the new car.

Thanks. Last night I went back to the dealer and test drove both options. I agree vtt the motor seems to feel plenty powerful. It runs out of breath in 3rd gear but by then I'm up to speed and its plenty good for the highway. I really liked the stero too. I will say I would have chosen the 2.7 but it is slow in first gear once the turbos spool up the second through sixth gear its a fun car.

Should have my car on Fri.

Edited by thisguy159

After reading several hundred posts over several months from F-150, Edge, and MKX forum members pertaining to 2.7TT performance, one thing has become abundantly clear...drivers residing in flatland locales perceive their 2.7TT driving experiences much differently than those living in hilly to mountainous areas. Certain performance characteristics appreciated by a 2.7TT driver in the latter U.S. & Canada vicinities are not even noted by test drivers/owners in the flatlands. Of course, this is not a VOILA! revelation, but I find it interesting to ID a poster's region of residence by reading a post prior to noting where that person may live.

I have a 2014 MKX, and one of the things I like most about the vehicle is the engine/trans configuration.  Mine shifts extremely smooth, and after the 2nd shift, I can't even tell when it shifts without watching the tachometer move.  It also shifts down with very slight pedal pressure, whereas some modern cars require a good stab to enable a downshift, and then jerk violently.  I also like the slight growl coming from the engine, and find the vehicle to be very quick, and I also have AWD.

Well said Cosmos!!

I have driven 3.7s for 6 years most recently in my 13 Edge Sport. Good solid engine....cruises beautifully.

My MKX is 2.7. and just drove from Oakville, Ontario, Canada to California.  So I have a good understanding of this vehicle. I'm impressed and glad I chose the 2.7. Having said that, I drive open roads with little city driving. If I lived in Toronto or NY or any large city then the 3.7 is the choice.

Thanks all I think picking the 3.7 was the right choice. Will be picking it up tomorrow.

Just want to follow up to correct some misinformation I posted.  The 3.7 and 2.7T do NOT use the same transmission.  The 3.7 uses the 6F50 and the 2.7T is connected to the 6F55.  There's no way the 50 could handle the torque of the 2.7.

It had occurred to me after I posted, but I had forgotten to post a correction until now.

By selecting the 3.7, you have avoided any future GDI & turbo related issues, plus saving $2000...good choice for the flatland Windy City locale. If I still lived in that vicinity (Oak Park), I would likely have decided on the same engine, but now...

Edited by Cosmos36

From what I have read in car magazines and watching tons of video reviews, more gears do not make a better transmission. The real reason that manufacturers are moving to 7,8,9,and even 10 gear transmissions is for economy fuel savings. The downside to this is there is absolutely no power in any gear for acceleration. The trans has to drop several gears when you step on the gas to accelerate.

Yeah I have read the same plus all the hunting for gears. However better milage is not the worst thing in the world and in the Acura mdx example going from 15 to 16 and from 6 to 9 speed there is a significant performance improvement. Either way sitting at the lincoln dealer now signing my life away.

With no intent to appear confrontational, I suspect many common folks would feel that the 0-60 time difference of 0.5 seconds and 1/4 time difference of 0.3 seconds (Car & Driver) between the 2016 Acura MDX with a 9-speed tranny and the previous model with a 6-speed tranny to be something less than a "significant performance improvement".

fair enough a good improvement as opposed to significant.  Depends on when the vehicles were tested the weather etc. 

Anyways, have had a chance to drive the car for about 100 miles, so far I have very much enjoyed the trans/engine combo.

I just got another MKX, my wife had a 2016 and now I've changed her to the 2018.  The 16 had a FWD 2.7 and this 18 is AWD and a 3.7 twin turbo.

I has too much spunk for my wife as she likes to floor it out of a light.  I've finally convinced her that her gas mileage would go to hell fast.  And speaking of that, the 3.7 AWD gets about 2 mpg better than the 2.7, based on my wifes driving both.  And the 3.7 WILL get up and move with the twin turbo.

Looking at getting the Nautilus at the end of the year and will probably get the same 3.7.  I hear that there will be a bunch of new bells and whistles on this one, maybe a HUD, we've got all the possible things you can on a car now and on the 16.  They're fun to drive, VERY smooth ride on the AWD (compared to the FWD) with the extra large tires and quiet; even talking on the phone.  I wouldn't get the speakers as I'm half deaf anyway so I'd opt for the engine.

Hope this helps

Edited by DanHoch

1 hour ago, DanHoch said:

I just got another MKX, my wife had a 2016 and now I've changed her to the 2018.  The 16 had a FWD 2.7 and this 18 is AWD and a 3.7 twin turbo....

MKX with a 3.7 twin turbo!  Must be the only one they ever made...