Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Shifter not in Park indicator - requires new shift assembly?

Park Indicator shift assembly

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EviesPoppi

EviesPoppi

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2015

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

I have a 2012 MKX with 51k miles. Once the vehicle is stopped and put into Park an warning indicator displays on the panel stating the shifter is not in Park. Well it is but for some reason there is no way to convince the onboard computer of such. So I took it to the local Ford dealership for a service and asked them to check it out for me since it is essentially a Ford Edge with a nicer body.

Well I am told the fix requires a $485 shift assembly change! WHAT!!! I spend 40k on a vehicle an in two years just after the warranty runs out I have to shell out almost $500 for a shift assembly? So my question to the geeks at Lincoln is how many more expensive repairs am I going to incur in the next 50k miles? Should I have bought a Toyota?

I have been a loyal Ford brand guys for years and really disappointed this vehicle has this type of issue especially considering what I paid for it. If may have to look at trading into something else with a better service reputation.

Not a happy customer.  

UPDATE:

HAPPY CUSTOMER! Talked to Lincoln customer care they called the Mall of Georgia Ford service center and I was able to get a 'relief' from the original service charge. The customer care center was able to see I have been a loyal Ford customer for may years as she could see my previous Explorer(s), and Ford truck(s). I hope Ford will put out some sort of recall on this part because Edge owners have experienced this same problem with much less miles than we have on our MKX.

Edited by EviesPoppi, 27 August 2014 - 12:24 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   dstarok

dstarok

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Locationmiami
  • Current Vehicle:2013 mkx

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

Have same issue with our 2013 MKX with 10,000 miles. Ford dealer service is a joke. Lincoln dealer is a long drive but I think that's my option.

#3 OFFLINE   hollywood91

hollywood91

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:Town Car

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

This is a long time since the original post was made.  I have a 2013 with 60,000 Km doing the same thing.  Still under warranty so we'll see what the do about it.  Just started doing it today with the cold weather.  Seems like a switch issue in the mechanism.

#4 OFFLINE   ol' yeller

ol' yeller

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedmond, WA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

I just had mine replaced a week ago on my 2013 CPO MKX under warranty.  There is no comparison between any Toyota and the MKX.

#5 OFFLINE   mkxowner

mkxowner

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationIdaho
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKX

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

I've had my 2013 MKX into the dealer 5 times and they cannot see the problem.  It's intermittent, but I see it at least a couple of times a day.  We took a video of the problem and showed it to the service writer but he just called and said they couldn't duplicate it.  Very frustrating, especially when it's -5F outside and you want to do a remote start.  It, of course, won't start when the alert is displayed and it doesn't always alert when you park the car.  So you don't know the remote start didn't work until you get out to the car.

#6 OFFLINE   mkxowner

mkxowner

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationIdaho
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKX

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

I've had my 2013 MKX into the dealer 5 times and they cannot see the problem.  It's intermittent, but I see it at least a couple of times a day.  We took a video of the problem and showed it to the service writer but he just called and said they couldn't duplicate it.  Very frustrating, especially when it's -5F outside and you want to do a remote start.  It, of course, won't start when the alert is displayed and it doesn't always alert when you park the car.  So you don't know the remote start didn't work until you get out to the car.

Update - Called the dealer and talked to the service manager.  He was very helpful and told us they'd probably need to order a shifter assembly and replace the one we had.  He called back a few minutes later and said they had one and would take care of it the next day.  I really appreciated this service, it restored my faith in my MKX and especially the dealer.  He also mentioned that there was a Service Notice about the issue.  Thanks to Phil Meador Courtesy Ford in Pocatello!

#7 OFFLINE   ol' yeller

ol' yeller

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedmond, WA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

Glad you are getting it fixed. They should have known there was a TSB the first time rather than give you the "We can't duplicate it" excuse.

#8 OFFLINE   Jcarp

Jcarp

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKX

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:48 AM

Transmition issue says "not in park" didnt see it due to door ajar as i was getting it out. It rolled down my driveway & into the street with me half out & hit a guiderail. It ended in extensive damage to my car Lincioln is saying they arent responsible for & a broken shoulder. They couldnt "dupicate it" but after much complaining they replaced the shifter. No problems since other than damage i cant afford, broken shoulder & physical therapy. However with these posts I'm going back to Lincoln to fix it.

Edited by Jcarp, 11 July 2017 - 02:52 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:54 AM

Transmition issue says "not in park" didnt see it due to door ajar as i was getting it out. It rolled down my driveway & into the street with me half out & hit a guiderail. It ended in extensive damage to my car Lincioln is saying they arent responsible for & a broken shoulder. They couldnt "dupicate it" but after much complaining they replaced the shifter. No problems since other than damage i cant afford, broken shoulder & physical therapy. However with these posts I'm going back to Lincoln to fix it.

How is Lincoln responsible for you not putting the vehicle in park and not setting the parking brake?   The sensor problem doesn't prevent the vehicle from going into park.

#10 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Sadly Akirby is correct. You as the operator are fully responsibly for your car at all times.

Sorry for yor injuries, hope insurance compensated you fully. (Never can be compensated for pain as so many of us know.)

#11 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

To clarify, I'm sympathetic to your injuries.  But I'm tired of people blaming manufacturers or other people for their mistakes.  Just own up to it and move on.

#12 OFFLINE   Tiffany Rheaves

Tiffany Rheaves

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

My 2011 Lincoln MKX isn't recognizing that it's in park to shut down and my brake pedal feels hard when pressing it to start the engine. I thought it might be something with the ABS and took it to a tire place. I was told that the gear shift has a clicking feel when pressing the brake so it seems to be the drivetrain. Has anyone had this problem?

#13 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

My 2011 Lincoln MKX isn't recognizing that it's in park to shut down and my brake pedal feels hard when pressing it to start the engine. I thought it might be something with the ABS and took it to a tire place. I was told that the gear shift has a clicking feel when pressing the brake so it seems to be the drivetrain. Has anyone had this problem?

The shift to park message requires a new shifter assembly I think. The hard pedal is usually a bad brake booster. Neither are ABS related.

#14 OFFLINE   Texasgal

Texasgal

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKX 2013, F-250 Crew Diesel 2015

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:23 PM

I found this on another site:

NEWS: Ford is recalling certain 2012-2014 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX; 2013-2014 Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS; and 2013-2014 Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT vehicles;  TRANSMISSION

Report Receipt Date: JUL 02, 2014 
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V393000 
Component(s): TRANSMISSION
Potential Number of Units Affected: 83,250 

AUG 2014 -- Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2012-2014 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX vehicles manufactured September 2, 2010, to November 30, 2013; 2013-2014 Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS vehicles manufactured August 25, 2011, to November 30, 2013; and 2013-2014 Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT vehicles manufactured September 12, 2011, to November 30, 2013. In the affected vehicles, the halfshaft retention circlip may not have been properly installed, and as a result, the halfshaft may move outward and disengage from the linkshaft while driving and without prior warning. If the halfshaft and linkshaft become disengaged while driving, power will no longer be transmitted to the wheels, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash. Additionally, if the parking brake is not applied before exiting the vehicle, the vehicle may roll away despite the transmission being placed in 'Park', increasing the risk of injury to exiting occupants and bystanders. Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles to make sure that the halfshaft is properly retained. If it is not, dealers will replace the linkshaft and also replace the halfshaft if it shows evidence of spline damage, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin by August 29, 2014. Ford's number for this recall is 14S10. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

#15 OFFLINE   Texasgal

Texasgal

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKX 2013, F-250 Crew Diesel 2015

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

I have a 2012 MKX with 51k miles. Once the vehicle is stopped and put into Park an warning indicator displays on the panel stating the shifter is not in Park. Well it is but for some reason there is no way to convince the onboard computer of such. So I took it to the local Ford dealership for a service and asked them to check it out for me since it is essentially a Ford Edge with a nicer body.

Well I am told the fix requires a $485 shift assembly change! WHAT!!! I spend 40k on a vehicle an in two years just after the warranty runs out I have to shell out almost $500 for a shift assembly? So my question to the geeks at Lincoln is how many more expensive repairs am I going to incur in the next 50k miles? Should I have bought a Toyota?

I have been a loyal Ford brand guys for years and really disappointed this vehicle has this type of issue especially considering what I paid for it. If may have to look at trading into something else with a better service reputation.

Not a happy customer.  

UPDATE:

HAPPY CUSTOMER! Talked to Lincoln customer care they called the Mall of Georgia Ford service center and I was able to get a 'relief' from the original service charge. The customer care center was able to see I have been a loyal Ford customer for may years as she could see my previous Explorer(s), and Ford truck(s). I hope Ford will put out some sort of recall on this part because Edge owners have experienced this same problem with much less miles than we have on our MKX.

I have a Lincoln MKX 2013 and daughter has a Ford Edge 2011...both loaded vehicles. Both having the "Shift to Park" message on screen...Daughter's husband works at Ford and they diagnosed hers needs the shifter replaced. I have not taken mine in yet, but I'm not happy with learning this. I cannot count how many Ford trucks we have owned over the last 25 years. They better make this right

• rabbit601 likes this

#16 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX, 1983 911SC
  • My MKX's Year:2016-2018

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:44 AM

I got this message "not in park" when I put the car in drive and the door is not properly closed It also shows the door ajar pictogram.  As soon as I close the door, it dissapear.

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#17 OFFLINE   Bwar

Bwar

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Current Vehicle:MKX

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

Just dug into the same issue with my MKX. Found that it is the actuator causing the problem....not the switch itself. The original switch is an Omron D2HW-BL201M...you have to remove the metal actuator from the old switch and place on the new switch. This is where the problem lies....the metal does not have a hinge on it...is just solid metal and it takes shape from being bent all the time and holds the switch in the operated position. Replacing with same type switch or having new shifter assembly installed will not give you a permanent fix ...problem will reoccur. I replaced mine with the same series switch but with a hinge so it does not take shape...I had to add to the actuator because it was a little too short but I cut the old actuator into a short addition and fastened the two together. Works like a champ. I am working on an easier fix because this is in a bad place to have to replace...should be a lifetime fix and never have to worry about it again. Although I have not had an issue with the "door ajar" problem I am also looking in to a better fix for that problem too.....another switch issue there also. I am an Engineer and do life testing on my designs to verify that they will hold up for their intended application.....curious as to whether this was done on the switches used in these vehicles.

• rabbit601 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   Mrmagoo

Mrmagoo

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHamilton
  • Current Vehicle:MKX

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

I hope this info gets out to the world so that no more MKX or Edge owners get soaked for $500 plus labour to change out the selector lever assembly. Thanks to another forum patron on the Edge forum, he pointed out....

...the "shift to Park" issue goes back to about 2012 and is known to Ford/Lincoln....

...the TSB that came out in 2015 tells the techs to change the Lever Assembly completely....TSB 15-0047 to alleviate the issue

But...in December 2017 a brand new TSB was issued specifically stating that TSB 17-2219 supersedes TSB 15-0047 and has been issued...  "Reason for update: New Part/Procedure For Same Condition"

The new TSB for the dealership and techs has been issued because they only need to replace the "Shifter Kit – Park Detect Switch" which is part of the lever assembly, NOT the entire lever assembly. The TSB gives them the vehicle specific part numbers. In Canada the cost is $33 and labour was 1.2 hours. Admittedly the dealership I went to didn't like me telling them what was required but if they kept on top of the TSB's I wouldn't have had to. They initially said the lever assembly was required before I insisted they look at the new TSB. They did this far less expensive fix reluctantly.

I suggest you print these as I did and take them in if you have the same problem.

Attached File  TSB 15-0047 SHIFT TO PARK OR TRANSMISSION NOT IN PARK MESSAGE – DISCHARGED BATTERY DUE TO SHIFT TO PARK LIGHT ON-UNABLE TO RE.pdf   57.8KB   20 downloadsAttached File  TSB 17-2219 Shifter not in Park (1).pdf   83.32KB   26 downloads

#19 OFFLINE   rabbit601

rabbit601

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Lincoln MKX

Posted 03 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

I hope this info gets out to the world so that no more MKX or Edge owners get soaked for $500 plus labour to change out the selector lever assembly. Thanks to another forum patron on the Edge forum, he pointed out....

...the "shift to Park" issue goes back to about 2012 and is known to Ford/Lincoln....

...the TSB that came out in 2015 tells the techs to change the Lever Assembly completely....TSB 15-0047 to alleviate the issue

But...in December 2017 a brand new TSB was issued specifically stating that TSB 17-2219 supersedes TSB 15-0047 and has been issued...  "Reason for update: New Part/Procedure For Same Condition"

The new TSB for the dealership and techs has been issued because they only need to replace the "Shifter Kit – Park Detect Switch" which is part of the lever assembly, NOT the entire lever assembly. The TSB gives them the vehicle specific part numbers. In Canada the cost is $33 and labour was 1.2 hours. Admittedly the dealership I went to didn't like me telling them what was required but if they kept on top of the TSB's I wouldn't have had to. They initially said the lever assembly was required before I insisted they look at the new TSB. They did this far less expensive fix reluctantly.

I suggest you print these as I did and take them in if you have the same problem.

attachicon.gifTSB 15-0047 SHIFT TO PARK OR TRANSMISSION NOT IN PARK MESSAGE – DISCHARGED BATTERY DUE TO SHIFT TO PARK LIGHT ON-UNABLE TO RE.pdfattachicon.gifTSB 17-2219 Shifter not in Park (1).pdf

Thank you!  I purchased my "Certified Pre-Owned" 2012 MKX in the summer of 2016.  By October I started to experience the "Shift to Park" issue.  Thankfully it was still under warranty.  They replaced the shifter.  Now, almost two years to the date, my MKX started producing the same error message.  I'll be damned before I spend $500 to replace the shifter again.  Thanks again for the TSB because it's time for my annual inspection and I'm going to the dealership armed with this TSB.  I'll keep you all posted with the results.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·