Hello Folks, 

Thank you for letting me in.

I am about to purchase MKX 2.T BL, from a Lincoln dealer.  Great Maintenance service record.

How reliable is this vehicle. Should I choose 3.7 or 2.7 is better. 

Thank you 

Jaimin

The vehicle is great and I've enjoyed it since 2016 myself I got the 3.7 l engine and it has been my greatest regret not getting the 2.7 though I have a lead foot and a 3.7 is plenty for anybody driving normally. I believe the 3.7 has a better reliability than the 2.7.  Although many people don't care, My only call out for 2016 would be to get one with sync 3 as opposed to my sync touch. Sync 3 gives you Android, Auto and Apple CarPlay which completely transform how you interact with the car and your phone and your media and so on. 

18 hours ago, Jaimin said:

Hello Folks, 

Thank you for letting me in.

I am about to purchase MKX 2.T BL, from a Lincoln dealer.  Great Maintenance service record.

How reliable is this vehicle. Should I choose 3.7 or 2.7 is better. 

Thank you 

Jaimin

I have the 2.7TT engine in a 2016 Select with 45,000+ carefree miles. The novel engineering, performance (especially torque), and fuel mileage (22 mpg suburban, 27 mpg @ 70 mph/lazy 2,000 rpm) of the "nano" EcoBoost engine enhance its fine reputation. It is especially suited for both freeways and mountainous driving.

The Ecoboost engines can be real problematic with leaks and failures. The 2.0 L especially. (Peppy acceleration, people think they have a real race car under them and run the hell out them. The 2.0 was never made to be run hard on a heavy car like the Edge / MKX). Personally, I'd look for the heavier and larger 3.7; but that's a personal choice.

Just remember that the more complex to engine, the more likely its going to fail. (There are many youtube videos talking about the 2.0 engine).

A small leak can run hundreds of dollars. And some Ecoboost engines are known to start leaking around 60k+ miles. (At the least its building carbon on the back side of the valves). 

If this is a car you would really like to own, take it to an independent auto mechanic and spend $100 for a thourgh inspection. At least you'll know its real condition. (But then again, dealers sales staff would never lie to you or conceal known damage, would they)?

Or, get an extended warranty through a Ford dealer.

Edited by enigma-2

3 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

The Ecoboost engines can be real problematic with leaks and failures. The 2.0 L especially. (Peppy acceleration, people think they have a real race car under them and run the hell out them. The 2.0 was never made to be run hard on a heavy car like the Edge / MKX). Personally, I'd look for the heavier and larger 3.7; but that's a personal choice.

Just remember that the more complex to engine, the more likely its going to fail. (There are many youtube videos talking about the 2.0 engine).

A small leak can run hundreds of dollars. And some Ecoboost engines are known to start leaking around 60k+ miles. (At the least its building carbon on the back side of the valves). 

If this is a car you would really like to own, take it to an independent auto mechanic and spend $100 for a thourgh inspection. At least you'll know its real condition. (But then again, dealers sales staff would never lie to you or conceal known damage, would they)?

Or, get an extended warranty through a Ford dealer.

No 2.0 in 2016. 

17 hours ago, thisguy159 said:

No 2.0 in 2016. 

The OP's use of '2.T' confuses the inquiry when reference is later made to 2.7 & 3.7 engine reliability. The MKX never had a 2.0 ecoboost engine. It arrived in the 2019 Nautilus with direct injection. It can be assumed that the OP is referring to a 2.7L turbo V6 in a 2016-2018 MKX.

Got confused, thanks for catching it. Still not sold on Ecoboost engines however. (Its the future, I know).

During model years 2009-2010 Ford produced in excess of 77,000 vehicles with EcoBoost (EB) engines. By the fall of 2013 Ford had produced a total of 2 million EB-equipped vehicles and hit the 5 million mark in March 2015. The domestic & global records for annual and total EB production have continued for each subsequent year. Since the introduction of Ford EBs, many individual owner's EB engines have exceeded 250,000 accumulated miles. Granted, some of those owners have surely experienced a variety of issues with the several generations of EB motors. However, my 2.7L EB has had no problems in over 6 years of self-maintained ownership and I don't anticipate any in the foreseeable future.

As to the future of current combustion engines, the global EV30@30 campaign promotes a goal of 30% electric vehicles on the world's roads by the year 2030. That includes hybrid & fuel cell vehicles...it will certainly provide room for continued production of some EcoBoost engines with continuing refinements.