punch-card

4g Modem replacement

Has anyone priced the upgrade from 3g to 4g Modem?

3gModem.png

I’m seeing $320 plus installation.  We don’t use it enough to upgrade.

I am guessing 100-200 to install, but I can't see $500 for a 6 year old, which is nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

Then on top of that you probably have a monthly charge from the cellular carrier....

19 hours ago, akirby said:

I’m seeing $320 plus installation.  We don’t use it enough to upgrade.

Called my dealer the parts department quoted me 318 and per the tsb? installation is on Ford. 

22 hours ago, punch-card said:

I am guessing 100-200 to install, but I can't see $500 for a 6 year old, which is nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

Then on top of that you probably have a monthly charge from the cellular carrier....

No monthly charge unless you want a data plan.

Just called my dealer this morning, and she quoted ~$400 for the part and $800-1,000 for labor if outside the 4-year trial period, which I am.  I nearly choked.  I might consider the $400, but the installation cost is obscene.  Hoping it's much cheaper in your area. I would definitely call for a quote if interested.  The labor cost seems to vary widely.

18 hours ago, JayShay87 said:

Just called my dealer this morning, and she quoted ~$400 for the part and $800-1,000 for labor if outside the 4-year trial period, which I am.  I nearly choked.  I might consider the $400, but the installation cost is obscene.  Hoping it's much cheaper in your area. I would definitely call for a quote if interested.  The labor cost seems to vary widely.

Damn that’s over 8 hours labor - ridiculous!  

On 1/4/2022 at 8:42 AM, akirby said:

Damn that’s over 8 hours labor - ridiculous!  

I am checking into this right now on my 2016 MKX. What I have found is parts are about $260 for part # AMMU7J A00A25 AA and my papers I found says 1 hour labor for a MKX.

With that said the only quote I have gotten so far has been $600. I am awaiting another return call from another dealer

According to Ford, Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09 covers all 2016-2017 MKX's built between August 31, 2015 -  September 29, 2017.

Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09 will cover free installation of the 3G to 4G upgrade kit. You must purchase the upgrade kit at retail prices. Offer ends May 31, 2022.

Google "Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09". (Can't upload as PDF  exceeds 10 meg).

Here's the PDF:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204043-0001.pdf

Includes installation instructions with pictures for several different models (MKX on page 63). Unfortunately we're outside of the trial period so we'd be responsible for the full cost.