Jump to content
punch-card

4g Modem replacement

Recommended Posts

Has anyone priced the upgrade from 3g to 4g Modem?

 

3gModem.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m seeing $320 plus installation.  We don’t use it enough to upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am guessing 100-200 to install, but I can't see $500 for a 6 year old, which is nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

Then on top of that you probably have a monthly charge from the cellular carrier....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, akirby said:

I’m seeing $320 plus installation.  We don’t use it enough to upgrade.

Called my dealer the parts department quoted me 318 and per the tsb? installation is on Ford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, punch-card said:

I am guessing 100-200 to install, but I can't see $500 for a 6 year old, which is nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

Then on top of that you probably have a monthly charge from the cellular carrier....


No monthly charge unless you want a data plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just called my dealer this morning, and she quoted ~$400 for the part and $800-1,000 for labor if outside the 4-year trial period, which I am.  I nearly choked.  I might consider the $400, but the installation cost is obscene.  Hoping it's much cheaper in your area. I would definitely call for a quote if interested.  The labor cost seems to vary widely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JayShay87 said:

Just called my dealer this morning, and she quoted ~$400 for the part and $800-1,000 for labor if outside the 4-year trial period, which I am.  I nearly choked.  I might consider the $400, but the installation cost is obscene.  Hoping it's much cheaper in your area. I would definitely call for a quote if interested.  The labor cost seems to vary widely.


Damn that’s over 8 hours labor - ridiculous!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2022 at 8:42 AM, akirby said:


Damn that’s over 8 hours labor - ridiculous!  

I am checking into this right now on my 2016 MKX. What I have found is parts are about $260 for part # AMMU7J A00A25 AA and my papers I found says 1 hour labor for a MKX.

 

With that said the only quote I have gotten so far has been $600. I am awaiting another return call from another dealer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Ford, Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09 covers all 2016-2017 MKX's built between August 31, 2015 -  September 29, 2017.

 

Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09 will cover free installation of the 3G to 4G upgrade kit. You must purchase the upgrade kit at retail prices. Offer ends May 31, 2022.

 

Google "Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09". (Can't upload as PDF  exceeds 10 meg).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the PDF:

 

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204043-0001.pdf

 

Includes installation instructions with pictures for several different models (MKX on page 63). Unfortunately we're outside of the trial period so we'd be responsible for the full cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2022 at 12:22 PM, Laminar said:

Unfortunately we're outside of the trial period so we'd be responsible for the full cost.

As I read it, the Trial Period ends May 31st, 2022. So its still in effect. Or did you mean that your car wasn't in the list of affected vehicles?

 

You have a 2016, don't you?

 

 

 

Edited by enigma-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2021 at 11:39 AM, punch-card said:

I am guessing 100-200 to install, but I can't see $500 for a 6 year old, which is nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

Then on top of that you probably have a monthly charge from the cellular carrier....

I just paid 500 including install but now I can't activate it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, psonken said:

I just paid 500 including install but now I can't activate it

Are you having to activate or is dealer doing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2022 at 11:22 AM, Laminar said:

Here's the PDF:

 

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204043-0001.pdf

 

Includes installation instructions with pictures for several different models (MKX on page 63). Unfortunately we're outside of the trial period so we'd be responsible for the full cost.

 

I can report a successful self-upgrade to 4G.

 

I found a TCU from a 2018 MKX on eBay for just under $100. Things to look for:

- The FCC ID of "LHJ-FANW" indicates a 4G modem. There are a few other IDs for different model vehicles that are 4G as well.

- The maroon antenna plug is the 4G plug. If there's a second plug there that's tan, that's for the wifi hotspot. All 4G modems will have a maroon plug, a TCU that supports Wifi will have the second plug.

 

I made some room in the trunk.

img_1405-800x600.jpg

 

The passenger side cover pops loose, but it take a fairly significant amount of force. I didn't remove it entirely, just enough to pull the top back and get at the modem.

img_1406-450x600.jpg

 

Before disconnecting the modem, I pulled up Forscan and trended all values available in the TCU:

tcu_old.png

 

Then I unplugged the factory TCU and plugged in the new TCU. Once booted, the TCU showed several DTC error codes - lost communication with ECU, no antenna, and a couple others. I saved the As Built of the TCU in an as-found configuration.

 

At this point, and I'm not 100% sure it was necessary, but I disconnected the vehicle battery for a couple of minutes to give everything a good reset.

 

Once reconnected, I went into the LincolnWay app and deleted the vehicle. I then went in and re-added it. It was able to find the vehicle and sent an activation request. In a few seconds the request popped up on the Sync 3 screen and I authorized. 

 

The app still didn't show I was authorized even though I got a confirmation email stating everything was good to go, so I logged out and logged back in to the app. Once I did that, everything worked and I was able to lock, unlock, and start via the app.

 

Here's what the TCU looked like after the upgrade:

tcu_old.png

 

I don't have an antenna hooked up, but I was able to easily activate from inside of my closed garage. I think the connector the TCU wants is a TS9 female, so I'm trying to find something that will work.

 

Other than that, it looks like I'm good to go for another decade or so until they decided to sunset 4G, too. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops looks like I duplicated the photo. Here's the after:

tcu_new1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the bunch of posts, but I can't edit my previous post. The antenna connector is a FAKRA connector, and 4G FAKRA antennas can be found pretty easily. The FCC filing for this TCU indicates the antenna shouldn't be more than 6dB gain to avoid creating interference, so I'd stick with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the dealer do the swap this morning. Now can't get the app to work.

 

I have deleted and reinstalled vehicle.Did the master reset on the Sync screen. The app will find the car but will not get an activation.

 

Dealer wasn't much help. I think this is the first one they have done.

 

I called the Lincoln concierge and after a couple transfers talked to a lady that seemed to know what's up. She said that she can see that the switched modems but the " technology needs updated in the car" so the modem will communicate correctly. She said that they have to do this on most of the swaps. Needs to go back to dealer, which is an hour away, for " reprovision". Said Dealer can call them for instructions on what to do.

 

Called Dealer and they said they did everything right. Told them to call in and see what's up. Waiting for a return call to see what they found out.

 

I still have hope but am becoming skeptical of this whole deal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update....still not working. Dealer called in and they told them to have me to perform the master reset again and then enable valet mode and then disable valet mode and try again. 

 

When my wife gets home with the MKX I will try that. 

 

I am kinda thinking that my Sync which is My Ford Touch or Sync 2 is to old to support this. It doesn't even look good as far as a Sync update either.

20220217_150837.jpg

Edited by ks8780

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, JayShay87 said:

Just called my dealer this morning, and she quoted ~$400 for the part and $800-1,000 for labor if outside the 4-year trial period, which I am.  I nearly choked.  I might consider the $400, but the installation cost is obscene.  Hoping it's much cheaper in your area. I would definitely call for a quote if interested.  The labor cost seems to vary widely.

My Lincoln dealer ordered a 4G modem for my 2017 MKX today and I paid $334 for the modem.  I have to return for the install which is 3 hr labor at $180 per hr or $540.  Since I am out of the 4 yr period I get stuck for the full cost.  Isn't new technology wonderful? NOT!  I plan to keep the car for a long time so that is how I told myself I would get some value out of it.  Fortunately my new Mustang Mach E has a 4G modem which is rather necessary for OTA updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, Laminar said:

 

I can report a successful self-upgrade to 4G.

 

I found a TCU from a 2018 MKX on eBay for just under $100. Things to look for:

- The FCC ID of "LHJ-FANW" indicates a 4G modem. There are a few other IDs for different model vehicles that are 4G as well.

- The maroon antenna plug is the 4G plug. If there's a second plug there that's tan, that's for the wifi hotspot. All 4G modems will have a maroon plug, a TCU that supports Wifi will have the second plug.

 

 

Hey Laminar,

 

Thanks for the pictures and the information! I think I'm going to tackle a self upgrade to 4G as well. Based on your information, it seemed to pretty much be a direct swap without programming changes.

 

I don't suppose you know the part number of your TCU? I've found a few TCU's from Escapes and other vehicles, but I'm not sure if they'd all be a smooth swap like this. They're all 14G087 or 14G299's, but their prefixes and suffixes are all different. Just curious if the 2018 MKX you got your TCU from shares it with any other vehicles. I'd prefer to try to match your TCU to hopefully gain the same experience you had.

 

Appreciate any assistance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part number for the 4G TCU is JA1T-14G229-AJ. I'm not sure if any other vehicles share that same part, though the Ford TSB lists the C-Max as using the same upgrade kit and the MKX, so I would guess it's similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laminar said:

Part number for the 4G TCU is JA1T-14G229-AJ. I'm not sure if any other vehicles share that same part, though the Ford TSB lists the C-Max as using the same upgrade kit and the MKX, so I would guess it's similar?

 

Thanks! This'll help a lot.

 

My dealer has indicated that Lincoln has temporarily paused the official 3G to 4G modem swaps at the moment due to configuration issues, so this may be my only route for the foreseeable future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2022 at 12:58 PM, Laminar said:

Sorry for the bunch of posts, but I can't edit my previous post. The antenna connector is a FAKRA connector, and 4G FAKRA antennas can be found pretty easily. The FCC filing for this TCU indicates the antenna shouldn't be more than 6dB gain to avoid creating interference, so I'd stick with that.

So Laminar...

 

I bought exactly the same model number tcu, though was parted out of 2019 Nautilus, installed, with fakra antenna. So far, can not activate. I assume it's because I need to use Forscan specifically to enable this device? Will I need to re install the old one to do that? Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can't perform self install as detailed earlier - I am using the same original model TCU, and have it in 2016 MKX. Forscan shows it is "working", but I cannot activate the car from the app, nor does an ESN show up in that area of the SYNC screen. A TCY test in Forscan says "Vehicle conditions incorrect" - I am thinking my TCU is configured differently - here are some forscan particulars:

 

Note the model and Strategy don't currently match?

image.png.7c7cc538f517ad8ba6da8430579d4b62.png

 

 

Here is the info returned - says it is active and has a signal, though the ignition being "Key Off" is incorrect:

 

image.thumb.png.ff1514695a98422166b4ead0c703cb23.png

 

Finally, here are the params - not all of them, as this unit seems to have a long list of them:

image.thumb.png.6812a83e1fc2d9a4d29b2068ccd042b0.png

 

Any ideas? I have PMed the successful poster to compare configs - cannot post to the Forscan forum currently, it seems.

 

Thnaks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×