Bennie

Moan from Engine Compartment

Hello everyone. Newbie here. I'm at wits end. My Lincoln is noisy! I have a 2017 with the 2.7 twin turbos. Under normal acceleration I have a moan from the engine compartment that is driving me crazy. I have been to 2 dealerships and an independent tech and all have said that is normal given it is a turbo engine. It sounds like it is coming from the air box kind of like in the old days when you could flip the air cleaner lid over on a 4 bbl carb and get a nice groan when you got on it. This is similar under normal acceleration. I refuse to believe that Lincoln produced something this noisy in a luxury auto. I did find TSB 16-0138 that describes this noise perfectly: buzz, hum, or moan noise from engine compartment. The TSB instructs to replace the transmission fluid cooler tube. But that TSB is for a 2016. Anybody have this same noise? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The TSB is listed for a 2916, but the part fits 2015-2018. As its only $32 might be worth eating the cost if it continues to bother you. 

https://www.onlinefordpartscatalog.com/oem-parts/ford-automatic-transmission-oil-cooler-tube-g2gz7c410a

I did see where a guy in the 150 forum had this problem and traced it to his air filter gasket didn't seal good and allowed more air to get sucked in around the housing. 

Almost always a moan is related to intake air getting sucked in too fast or too much.

Edited by enigma-2

Thanks enigma-2. I thought about that and will need to talk to a tech to see what the labor cost will be. I will also ask him about the air filter gasket as I don't see one. It seems to just seat on the air filter itself.