Sign in to follow this  
Ohpinion8ted

Front storage compartment lid won't lock open

Looking for some help. Can't see anything in the forum already posted on this matter.

My darling wife pushed the lid open on the storage compartment in the center console between the front seats and gently rolled it back and locked it into place fully open. Now, this is when you would again gently push it forward and that would disengage the locking mechanism and it would gently close on its own. However, my wife did not do this. Instead, she pulled it close, forcefully, to overcome the resistance. The car is new to her and she didn't understand how it works. Unfortunately, now when we push it open it will not lock in place and remain open. That makes it hard to use the storage or plug in your USB cord.

I have searched every search engine, YouTube, and replacement parts database known to the internet and cannot find any reference to this situation.

Does anybody know if this can be fixed by taking the center console apart? I can do this but don't want to do it unless it can be fixed. Or, is this truly broken and I need to go to a dealer? If it can be fixed I would appreciate any guidance you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

During the early years of my MKX ownership I repeatedly closed the lid to the storage area incorrectly as described in your post. Eventually I noted my error and breathed a sign of relief that I hadn't damaged the mechanism. In more recent years, I noted the spouse also incorrectly closing the storage area lid improperly and corrected her prior to any damage occurring. I suppose there is a detent of some sort that could be damaged, but I've never determined the details of the mechanism involved, so regretfully,  I am at a loss to offer any assistance.