kthiel

SYNC 3 screen blacks out or freezes

2019 Nautilus and within a week of ownership - 90% of the time that i start the car at home one of the following happens: the SYNC screen sometimes goes completely black - except when I stop and then the back up cameras pop up.  Sometimes, the back up cameras stay on while I am driving down the road.  Sometimes, the screen freezes, except for the gps map which shows my location as I drive, but the temp and time is frozen - but I can still change the heat (just the number on the screen doesnt change).  The radio volume can be adjusted but the station cant be changed - and if the radio was off the last time the car was shut off - I cant turn it on (and the other way also - cant turn if off).

It happens away from the house very rarely and Dealer cant replicate but I have taken it to them while its not working so they do understand.  They ultimately replaced the APIM.  Good for a week.  I had to reset the Lincoln Way app because of the new part - and installed the phones.  And selected the Auto Update with wifi access and I am right back where I started - with a non working SYNC screen.  I can do the reset (volume button, +-) away from the house and it will reset and usually work from there on out.  The dealer "computer" doesnt show any error messages so the next appointment - I am bringing the car in with a bad screen (not hard to do) - and leave it running.

I am starting to think its the wifi access and or Auto update.  I manually clicked on the sync to do an update scan - and it just couldnt do it thru the wifi even though it is seen - and it spins and spins.  I let it scan for updates through my phone using the Lincoln App and it seemed to be fixed for a couple cycles.  Then its back again.  I turned off all the wifi, updates, etc and it seems to work.  

Of course, I thought I had it figured out before - and then it fails when I thought I had already eliminated the situation.  I think it might fail away from home on occasion because I allow sync to look for open wifi - and do an auto update.. and perhaps I am near a wifi.  It fails significantly less away from home. 

I have done trial and error for hours and its hard to get a consistent cause/effect but I am growing weary.  

Anyone else have this issue? 

Have the dealer come get it and replace the whole system.

My 2020 Nautilus did exactly the same thing. I noticed for some time, after startup, the screen may take a while or be hesitant on selecting anything, to the point to where it is inop. Then tonight my wife was driving and the entire sync screen went blank, with only the cameras occupying the screen. So either gray or cameras. 

So I parked it in the garage and took both keys in the house. Then came out with only my key. It was like the Sync Nautilus totally woke up.... Everything worked fine. All of this in like 5 minutes. 

I totally agree with KThiel, It is like it was caught in an update when my wife took off for a drive. We are now noting this whole episode because we are also dealing with a poltergeist in the Lift Gate System. Have had the car to our dealer... They could not find anything. But then the Liftgate for some reason started to work properly. For how long though???? So I am tracking that one. I have plenty of films of the liftgate going up and down on its own, while I am 20 feet from the car. 

So being a technology guy, my gut feeling is the proximity of the key is playing a part.... and definitely the Sync 3 Update. I will check tomorrow to see if there was an actual update, there should be a log of this somewhere in the back end, or the setup. 

I love the car, I just think there is not enough feedback, or optional feedback to show us when things are being updated, or what is going on with the backend of these systems. Some of us could really help the Ford Dealers in trying to figure this stuff out. 

Sometimes I think Ford and other dealers are trying to make products that are amazing pieces of technology, but their support or service of these technologies is lacking. To just be told "I don't know" after spending 65,000 on a car, that is crazy... 

So the bottom line is: I think there is something going on with the update of Sync 3 when the screen goes blank. I did have that on, to automatically update. I'm with you all on trying to work this out. 

My tailgate, is a whole other problem, I am patiently working with my dealer with. Lot's of filming on this problem. 

To update my situation - dealer agreed to replace the entire system - and I said "let me turn off the auto update and see what happens on the long term".  It has not happened again, no matter what key/fob is used.  And that has been a year.  I am not turning on the auto update again. 

So, I have issues with the tailgate door also.  More than once, I have tried to close it using the inside steering wheel area button & it goes part way down and stops like it thinks something is "blocking" it.  I go back and there is nothing to trigger that reaction and I shut it by hand - no problem.  

If the door EVER opens on its own - I will trade it in as that is an absolute deal-breaker for me... oddly though, I remember being at the dealer during one of my visits and there was a couple having the same tailgate issue (auto opening) with a different model of Ford/Lincoln.