Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

MitchC

2019 Nautilus Transmission problems

Anyone else having issues with their Nautilus transmission ? I have several things going on with mine:

1. All gear shifts up to just under 40mph are VERY harsh, clunky

2. 3 times now when going from R to D the trans feels like it's going to just fall out onto the road ! Very loud 'clunk'

3. Going uphill (as we've noticed) around 70-75 mph feels like engine (trans ?) is 'missing' ....a pronounced 'stuttering' effect... sluggish feeling

I have had a Transmission 'flash' update that was supposed to correct some of these issues but all problems remain.

Anyone else have similar experiences ?

Seriously?  Look around or use the search feature.  There are numerous topics on it.

Also check fordedgeforum.com.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Seriously?  Look around or use the search feature.  There are numerous topics on it.

Seriously, a tad hard on someone that got 1 post.  

Ok, so those with transmission issues, have you been made whole by Ford/Lincoln or have you sold, walked away etc,

Mine is in for the 3rd time for same issues. Next time I’ll file a lemon complaint. 

Ford guy... happy with Explorer, Edge... thought I’d upgrade to Lincoln..., so far not happy At ALL...

Just as a reference, I have a 2019 Lincoln Nautilus Reserve with Tech package , took delivery in Jan. 2019.  Now has 18,000 miles and no transmission problems, In fact the car has been trouble free for over the year I have owned it. Love this vehicle.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Thanks DeeCee. Yes, I've read of many happy Nautilus owners with no issues.

Just talked to my dealership service mgr. They verified the newest trans update was applied (last visit) and cannot replicate any of my issues... (as they could not on visit 1 or 2).

So what is my recourse ? Get legal help ? The problems will all still exist so feeling hopeless at this point.

Try another dealer first.  All dealers are not created equal.

Svc Mgr texted today that they have been able to replicate the glitch (THUNK !) going from P to D or R to D.... they are replacing something or other to 'combat the issue'.... not a real promising, warm / fuzzy phrase but we'll see.

Great news ! 

My 'stuttering' issue at altitude and incline has been experienced by my Svc Mgr who personally installed a 'Flight Recorder' as he calls it, and went on a road trip similar to what I did.

He recorded 8 separate instances of the issue. They have analyzed the data and determined that my trans is overheating at a certain time / distance traveled.

He is ordering a completely new transmission !!

Shout out to James Davis @ Fiesta Lincoln in Mesa, AZ - He went way above and beyond to help me ! - Even gave me a 2020 AVIATOR as a loaner while mine is being repaired. ! Love it, so that's my next ride 

On 4/14/2020 at 9:36 PM, MitchC said:

Great news ! 

My 'stuttering' issue at altitude and incline has been experienced by my Svc Mgr who personally installed a 'Flight Recorder' as he calls it, and went on a road trip similar to what I did.

He recorded 8 separate instances of the issue. They have analyzed the data and determined that my trans is overheating at a certain time / distance traveled.

He is ordering a completely new transmission !!

Shout out to James Davis @ Fiesta Lincoln in Mesa, AZ - He went way above and beyond to help me ! - Even gave me a 2020 AVIATOR as a loaner while mine is being repaired. ! Love it, so that's my next ride 

I'm glad they are replacing the trans,  but it's typical of dealers to deny there is an issue for three visits, even though the issue is obvious if you just drive the vehicle. Hopefully they'll do a good job with the replacement.

MKXMark,

This issue was only able to be duplicated after driving the vehicle at least 1 1/2 hours and uphill. They never were going to be able to duplicate my issue in their service bay. But yes, James (SVC Mgr) and I discussed the qualifications for a 'lemon' complaint and was aware of 3 visits for same issue going unresolved.

Dealership was trying to get Lincoln to approve their master Trans mechanic to hook up a computer, drive the Nautilus a route I have done 3 times before. Lincoln would not approve that, so my SVC Mgr himself (on his day off), hooked it up, drove the route, recorded 8 instances on computer. Came back and he and Master Trans guy determined overheating and new trans was the only remedy.

Supposed to get her back this Friday. I have every confidence that my issues are behind me and I can start to fall in love with my Nautilus !!

Got my Nautilus back on Friday. Drives and shifts like a dream !! Thanks James Davis and all involved in making this right !

My car has been to the dealer multiple times for intermittent transmission hard shifts and misses.  Just got it back again today and they said it's operating as intended.  My Nautilus has hard shifting at 15 and 40 MPH.  Also seems to search for the correct gear and "misses" if I'm driving at highway speeds.  I wish my dealer was as willing as yours to listen to me!

I dont like this 'learning' transmission thing. In theory, it's supposed to learn and adapt to the owner's driving style. Only problem is when you deviate from your norm, it shifts 'weird'. My dealer says they doubt future trans will be this type..... just a normal from the factory trans that shifts great.

13 hours ago, MitchC said:

I dont like this 'learning' transmission thing. In theory, it's supposed to learn and adapt to the owner's driving style. Only problem is when you deviate from your norm, it shifts 'weird'. My dealer says they doubt future trans will be this type..... just a normal from the factory trans that shifts great.

Not true.  It doesn’t adapt to anyone’s driving style.  It adapts to minor differences in manufacturing tolerances and wear over time to maintain the factory shift performance.  It simply measures the shift time and adjusts pressure as needed if the shifts are too slow or too fast.  This is dip one by gear, rpm and throttle position.  What you’re probably seeing is when you drive it differently you’re hitting parts of the shift table that haven’t been optimized yet.

It may not work as expected 100% of the time but that’s how it’s designed.

I assume this all relates to the 8 speed auto, since I have not experienced any of these issues on our 2018 MKX 6 speed auto.