Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

Sign in to follow this  
Pneuma711

2016 Used MKX Choices

Hello all, new to the forum and maybe a new MKX owner tomorrow (1/13).

I have two choices:

A: 2016 MKX Reserve white platinum Tri-Coat, Cream interior, AWD, 2.7EB 85,000 miles (Commuter miles in suburbs, Lincoln dealer service records, 1 owner) for $20,500

B: 2016 MKX Reserve white platinum Tri-Coat, Black interior, AWD, 2.7EB 38,000 miles (from Illinois state government fleet, no service records), brand new tires, for $24,500.

A is super clean, no blemishes. Appeared to be garaged. Will drive tomorrow. I haven’t seen B yet but photos appear super clean. Both have clean records.

Is $4,000 more for new tires, 47k less miles and apx. 1 year left of warranty worth it?

Which one do you choose and why? 

Edited by Pneuma711

47K miles is 3-4 years of normal driving.   That said, if it's all highway miles then that's not a huge difference.

The difference for me would be the factory warranty - A is out of the factory warranty completely.   B still has powertrain coverage for a couple of years.  That plus new tires would lean me towards B.

I just bought my 2016 with 41,000 miles from a Lincoln dealership. It is a "certified" vehicle that comes with an extended warranty that goes to end of 2021. Vehicle looks like it came off the factory floor, it was flawless. That all being said I would recommend you check out Lincoln certified used because the prices are about the same as other off lease dealers (Autotrader, Carvana, OffLeaseOnly, etc.) and you get a whole lot more. I even opted for more coverage and paid to have the warranty go to the end of 2025! I paid $24,000 (not including the extra warranty) which I feel was a very good deal.

4a78b08b8e81d04364612911114604dex.jpg

1923c3eeedd4fff7981ef7e7272cc1dex.jpg

Thank you both for the replies. Nice car! 

We chose the one with less miles as another unseen cost of A is the 100k service and the original battery. Overall we felt more peace of mind having some factory warranty remaining. We also got a better value for our trade (positive vs negative equity) with option B. I suppose most important is the wife is happy with her choice and I think it was the better choice overall.

It’s simple when you only have one option: do you want that car or not? But when there are two or more prospects it gets tricky. It seems to really analyze a deal, it is more than just cost and mileage. Upcoming maintenance costs, warranty, your trade value, finance rate, and ease of working with varying dealers.

Thanks again, here’s to many great years with this awesome Lincoln.

8D7D4478-A4B1-47F7-BEAA-C4895EF84D56.jpeg

One trick I started using (on myself) years ago is to imagine the cost difference as cash sitting on the passenger seat.  This is typically when deciding whether to buy a new one or keep an existing one.  So let's say the new one will cost me $10K more - I say to myself do you want the new one or do you want to keep the one you have with $10K sitting there that you can spend on other things?   Gets you out of the "oh well it's the same payment (but for 2-3 more years) or the payment only goes up a little" rationalization.

6 hours ago, akirby said:

One trick I started using (on myself) years ago is to imagine the cost difference as cash sitting on the passenger seat.  This is typically when deciding whether to buy a new one or keep an existing one.  So let's say the new one will cost me $10K more - I say to myself do you want the new one or do you want to keep the one you have with $10K sitting there that you can spend on other things?   Gets you out of the "oh well it's the same payment (but for 2-3 more years) or the payment only goes up a little" rationalization.

Very true! I like that.