Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

punch-card

Rear Wiper Blade replacement on 2016 MKX

I purchased a new set of wiper blades for front and back from rock auto, the front were not an issue replacing them, but I can not find any reference how to replace the rear blade on 2016+ version, I found gen 2 videos, but the blades are different in Gen 3.

I removed the nut and tried pop the blade off, but it did not want to come off, and I did not want to force it off the screw mount.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ruby, the video above shows the older style wiper blade.

2016/2017 is like the one in the video below.

Notice the difference in the plastic arm housing in the video above and below.

Bosch Rear Wiper Blade A281HBosch Rear Wiper Blade A281HBosch Rear Wiper Blade A281H

I ordered a Bosch replacement wiper (Bosch Rear Wiper Blade A281H)

The replacement came with an adapter so it can fit multiple vehicles. My MKX did not need the adapter.

It took a lot of force to get it off, but the replacement snapped on easily.

It is hard to get the notch lined up with the bar it snaps on to. You cannot lift the blade too far off the window, so it is hard to see under there.

Once you get it lined up, it snaps right on.

Make sure you have a good light shining on it, it makes it easier to see.

Good luck

1 hour ago, sean_p_lynch said:

Ruby, the video above shows the older style wiper blade.

2016/2017 is like the one in the video below.

Notice the difference in the plastic arm housing in the video above and below.

Bosch Rear Wiper Blade A281HBosch Rear Wiper Blade A281HBosch Rear Wiper Blade A281

I ordered a Bosch replacement wiper (Bosch Rear Wiper Blade A281H)

The replacement came with an adapter so it can fit multiple vehicles. My MKX did not need the adapter.

It took a lot of force to get it off, but the replacement snapped on easily.

It is hard to get the notch lined up with the bar it snaps on to. You cannot lift the blade too far off the window, so it is hard to see under there.

Once you get it lined up, it snaps right on.

Make sure you have a good light shining on it, it makes it easier to see.

Good luck

Sean,

Thanks that is the first GEN 3 MKX I have seen, All I would get was a GEN 2 video, I will give it a shot tonight when I get home!

Mike

I even tried finding video of the 2016 Ford Edge, it's the same as the MKX.

It was tough to get the old one off, I kept thinking that I shouldn't have to use this much force.

The Valeo replacement would also work, as seen in their video.

Edited by sean_p_lynch

Thanks for you help, I found it real easy to remove the old blade, but I struggled getting the new blade on until I taped a little mirror under the wiper arm.

In the first image I outlined (in red) the frame (box) around where the clip snaps in. The second  is an example of the mirror.

My issue was the left and right side of the "box" that would surround the clip, I was trying to snap the blade on the sides of the "box" instead of in the center of the "box".

wiper1.jpgwiper2.jpg

When replacing the rear wiper blade on my 2016 MKX, I too pondered the limited visibility available to align the replacement blade's notch with the arm's bar. Similarly, I considered taping a mirror under the wiper arm as you suggested. Then, it occurred to me that a better view of the alignment/installation was possible if I just opened the liftgate and viewed the installation from below looking up through the liftgate glass as I aligned the new blade's notch & arm's bar. It took only seconds to complete.

Cosmos36, I don't think my arms are that long! Good way to do it though.

I should have been more specific about positioning the liftgate when installing the wiper. It only took a moment to figure that sitting in the cargo area (atop the gate latch & facing the rear of the vehicle) with the hatch pulled down towards my lap and the wiper at eye/shoulder level was more convenient than standing outside the vehicle with outstretched arms above my head.

Thanks for reminding me to clarify.