ConCutter19

Battery dies while towing behind RV

We have a 2015 MKX.  When towing over an hour as per instructions our battery runs down.  Any suggestions?

Now that's a bummer for me.  The primary reason I chose this car over others was because of the reported ease of flat towing behind our RV.  Figures.  But thx for info akirby.

There is an easy fix, a quick disconnect battery with a bypass to keep the computer alive.

At 11.5 pound this is not my MKX set-up...

IMG_6819.thumb.JPG.8ef7e2dbd7506aee8519c21d9be684c9.JPG

Thank you.  Would that battery disconnect switch interfere with the electronic functionality that maintains the car’s tranny in neutral?  Ask because I read of other users (Ford I believe) who were in flat tow mode and unfortunately suffered major transmission damage.  What ended up happening is that just before the battery died, the system (as a safety feature reportedly) shifted out of neutral and into park.  Ouch.

Could not tell you for sure.  Did you go through A Kirby links above?

Maybe a question for your dealership.  Hard to believe that Ford would not have think of that.

Quickly skimmed the links before.  Will re-review and check with dealer next time I have my routine service.  Though I suspect the dealer won't provide additional clarity- would believe that level of clarity would only come from an engineering team at Ford/Lincoln, esp since it seems to go counter to info printed in the manual.

7 hours ago, RRivera said:

... Though I suspect the dealer won't provide additional clarity- would believe that level of clarity would only come from an engineering team at Ford/Lincoln...

You might be surprise, like we use to say in the Navy; "engineer can calculate the square root of a pickle jar, but unfortunatlely can't get the lid off"

True, true! ; )