Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

Sign in to follow this  
enigma-2

Takata Airbag recall is ending

Well they finally reached an agreement and the airbag recall is ending. I'm posting below the contents of a "postcard" (for lack of a better term), which describes the end of the opt out period as being November 26, 2018. (That's only a month away). 

After I received this yesterday, I called my local dealer (as they have been dragging their feet and told them I wanted to get my airbag replaced. The agent asked what type of car I had, I told him a 2009 Lincoln MKX, and he told me I had to come in for them to look at it. (Curious!) Asked why and he said that it involves replacing part of the instrument panel and not just an "airbag". (That we the reason that Ford/Lincoln delayed me for so long. It's all one assembly and custom order. So I immediately drove over and he checked my car. (Needed to determine the interior color, type of wood finish and a couple of other things, so they can order the exact replacement.) Asked if it would take a couple of days before it came in, was told 5-10 days. They have to order it from the factory and could take more!

So if you haven't had your bags changes yet ......... the end is near.

[front]

Auto Airbag Settlement
Settlement Notice Administrator
PO Box 3207
Portland, OR 97208-3207

THIS IS NOT A VEHICLE RECALL NOTICE

Important Legal Notice from the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.

This is a notice of a class action settlement, not a notice of a vehicle recall. If you have received a recall notice for your Ford. Lincoln, or Mercury vehicle and have not yet had your Takata airbags repaired. you should do so as soon as possible. However. your vehicle may not be recalled. or may be recalled for repair at a later date (refer to NHTSA website safercar.gov for the list of recalled vehicles and recall service schedule). Please call the toll free number or access the website noted below if you have any questions. When recalled Takata airbags deploy, they may spray metal debris toward vehicle occupants and may cause serious injury.

[back]

Current and former owners and lessees of certain Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury vehicles with a Takata airbag may be entitled to a payment from a class action settlement.

A $299.1 million Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit alleging that Ford Motor Company ("Ford") manufactured and sold vehicles that contained allegedly defective airbags made by Takata Corporation and its affiliates ("Takata"). Ford denies the allegations in the lawsuit, and the Court has not decided who is right. The $299.1 million Settlement Amount less a 20% credit for the Enhanced Rental Car/Loaner Program, will be funded over time and will be used for all relief and associated costs, as further discussed in the Settlement Agreement. The purpose of this notice is to inform you of the class action and the proposed settlement so that you may decide what to do.

Who's Included?  Ford's records indicate that you may be a Class Member. 

The Settlement offers potential payments and other benefits to current and former owners and lessees of certain Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicles that have or had Takata airbags, which are, may or will be subject to a Recall ("Subject Vehicles"). A complete list of Subject Vehicles currently included in the Settlement is posted on the www.AutoAirbagSettlement.com Settlement Website. This Settlement does not involve claims of personal injury.

What Are the Settlement Terms? 

The Settlement offers several benefits, including reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses related to the Takata airbag recall, an Enhanced Rental Car/Loaner Program for owners or lessees of certain Subject Vehicles, an Outreach Program to maximize completion of the recall remedy, additional payments to Class Members from residual Settlement funds, if any rentain, up to a maximum of $500, and a Customer Support Program to help with repairs associated with replacement airbag inflators. For further details about the Settlement, including the relief, eligibility, and release of claims, you can review the Settlement Agreement at the website, www.AutoAirbagSettlement.com.

How Can I Get a Payment? 

You must file a Claim to receive a payment during the first four years of the Settlement. Visit the website and file a Claim online or you can download one and file by mail. The deadline to file a Claim will depend on the recall or repair date of your Subject Vehicle and will be at least one year from the date the Settlement is finalized. All deadlines will be posted on the website when they are known.

Your Other Options. 

If you do not want to be legally bound by the Settlement, you must exclude yourself by November 26, 2018. If you do not exclude yourself, you will release any claims you may have against Ford and the Released Parties and be eligible to receive certain settlement benefits, as more fully described in the Settlement Agreement, available at the Settlement Website. You may object to the Settlement by November 26, 2018. You cannot both exclude yourself from, and object to, the Settlement. The Long Form Notice available on the website listed below explains how to exclude yourself or object. The Court will hold a hearing on December 11, 2018 to consider whether to finally approve the Settlement and a request for attorneys' fees of up to 25% of the Settlement Amount and awards of $5,000 to each of the Class Representatives. You may appear at the hearing, either yourself or through an attorney hired by you, but you don't have to. For more information, call or visit the website below.

1-888-735-5596                                               www.AutoAirbagSettlement.com