Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

LS3 Power

2017 Lincoln MKX Reserve LED Headlight Question

Hello Everyone, 2 weeks ago we bought a 2017 Lincoln MKX Reserve for my wife. It states that the LED Headlights are adaptive and turn with the steering wheel when driving.

My question is this, Most cars that have Adaptive Headlights when you first start the car you will see the headlights auto adjust (Move up and down) but ours doesnot do this. When we start the car and the headlights come on there is no movement, and we do not really notice the headlights adjusting when driving around turns. My wifes last car was a 2016 Kia Cadenza Limited which had HID's that turned with the steering and we would notice it when driving that and the lights would do the up/down movement when starting the car. So is there something wrong with ours? Its the Reserve and has the full LED Headlight system,

Also, second question, does this SUV not have a setting that allows the side mirrors to auto face down when back up? I have not see a car in a while in this price range that does not offer that. 

Thanks for any help everyone!! 

Lincolns don't currently have the reverse mirror tilt feature although in some cases you can activate it with Forscan.

The headlight swivel is for HIDs only.  LEDs accomplish it by turning various lights off or on inside the LED cluster so no swiveling necessary.   There is some debate about whether this actually works or not but it's hard to test since it only works while the vehicle is in motion.

Thank you so much!! That answered my question perfectly

Hello Everyone, ...  Also, second question, does this SUV not have a setting that allows the side mirrors to auto face down when back up? I have not see a car in a while in this price range that does not offer that....

Well, there is a first time for everything...

I've never experienced a car that had auto-down side mirrors, so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing. However, the MKX is the first vehicle that I've owned that had a center stack rear view camera function, excepting the Fusion with its tiny, worthless Mickey Mouse backup view in the rear view mirror.

It required only one instance of parallel parking with the MKX backup camera to discover that I can parallel park without ever scuffing a tire or abrading a wheel again...never!

Well, there is a first time for everything...

Doesn't would be nice i like the feature but not something that ever bothers me.

I've never experienced a car that had auto-down side mirrors, so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing. However, the MKX is the first vehicle that I've owned that had a center stack rear view camera function, excepting the Fusion with its tiny, worthless Mickey Mouse backup view in the rear view mirror.

It required only one instance of parallel parking with the MKX backup camera to discover that I can parallel park without ever scuffing a tire or abrading a wheel again...never!

The one thing on this SUV that my wife and I are not impressed with is the 360 degree camera system, I guess a few little things that she had on her Cadenza like auto tilt mirrors and a much clearer 360 camera system are a few little things we are getting used to. She LOVES this new MKX but when your used to certain things it just takes getting used to the new setups. 

The LEDs are not adaptive as far as I can tell. Nobody on this forum who actually owns those headlights has seen an effect. I called to complain to Lincoln and they admitted as much on the phone.  The lights don't swivel and there is no is turning of light elements on and off within the cluster. These are fixed headlights. What Lincoln means by "adaptive" in their advertisements is beyond me. Lincoln's own consumer rep drew the exact same conclusion. 

On some forums, I've seen the argument that adaptive LEDs are illegal in the states.  That's also incorrect.  What is illegal is lights that produce variable patterns to enhance seeing around specific objects. 

The lights are great anyway and I don't feel to bad about the adaptive thing. 

I agree that the 360 is very low resolution. That goofy box around the car precludes utility in most situations. Honestly, its a pretty worthless feature. 

The lack of a reverse tilt-down is annoying and makes parking closer to the curb a challenge. The work around is to just sent one of the memory positions (like # 3) to a setting with the windows tilted down.  

My 2016 has been a wonderful vehicle but those issues are mild annoyances. 

Edited by walkabout

The LEDs are not adaptive as far as I can tell. Nobody on this forum who actually owns those headlights has seen an effect. I called to complain to Lincoln and they admitted as much on the phone.  The lights don't swivel and there is no is turning of light elements on and off within the cluster. These are fixed headlights. What Lincoln means by "adaptive" in their advertisements is beyond me. Lincoln's own consumer rep drew the exact same conclusion. 

On some forums, I've seen the argument that adaptive LEDs are illegal in the states.  That's also incorrect.  What is illegal is lights that produce variable patterns to enhance seeing around specific objects. 

The lights are great anyway and I don't feel to bad about the adaptive thing. 

I agree that the 360 is very low resolution. That goofy box around the car precludes utility in most situations. Honestly, its a pretty worthless feature. 

The lack of a reverse tilt-down is annoying and makes parking closer to the curb a challenge. The work around is to just sent one of the memory positions (like # 3) to a setting with the windows tilted down.  

My 2016 has been a wonderful vehicle but those issues are mild annoyances. 

Very interesting about the LED headlights, and that they advertise it as adaptive but will say it doesnt so anything. Crazy. Yeah that is the part of the 360 camera that annoys me the most is that box around the car, it truly makes trying to pull in or back in as close to a curb to avoid door dings impossible. My wife is having a hell of a time getting used to the camera quality and pulling in/backing out of our garage also lol.