Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

Sign in to follow this  
jkoleh

Rear Window Washer

Just purchased a 2017 MKX Reserve with all options except kitchen sink and inflatable rear seat belts.  Question---does the washer fluid for the rear window come from the reservoir for the front windows as well, or is there a separate container I have not discovered yet?  Thanks

No separate container.

It took a while for the fluid to work its way back on mine. I thought it was broken.

Word of caution. Never use plain water in your reservoir as the line to the rear tailgate window runs in the roof and will freeze in the winter when temps fall below freezing. Heat from the engine will thaw the windshield quickly enough, but the back won't thaw until the cabin is fully warmed up.

Save $$ hint: if you live in a moderate climate, dilute the washer fluid (rated to 20 below zero) with 50% water. In home testing, the diluted fluid doesn't freeze in my freezer. It has never frozen in any of my vehicles even overnight at winter mountain resorts.

When I first read this, thought it was interesting way to save a dollar. But got to thinking, fluid rated -20° cut in half would rase the freezing point to somewhere around +5° or possibly +10°.

Still good for most of the winter as rarely gets 'that' cold around here. And a refrigerator-freezer averages around 0° so it should have started to freeze (assuming you left it in overnight). Curious as why it didn't (unless it takes longer)?

All-in-all doesn't matter if it does freeze as it will thaw when the car warms up. Interesting suggestion.

Save $$ hint: if you live in a moderate climate, dilute the washer fluid (rated to 20 below zero) with 50% water. In home testing, the diluted fluid doesn't freeze in my freezer. It has never frozen in any of my vehicles even overnight at winter mountain resorts.

This seems like pain if gas is not to expesive certinally 2.99 fluid isn't that needs to be refilled once every 3k miles.

This seems like pain if gas is not to expesive certinally 2.99 fluid isn't that needs to be refilled once every 3k miles.

Your observation is absolutely correct (and pragmatic). The mind is a strange organ...while I revel at diluting a $1.59 jug of windshield fluid to save a few quarters/beat the system, I'll drop a $40 tip on a birthday dinner later that day and never give it a second thought. LOL