Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

Sign in to follow this  
ron123

Testing OEM DRLs

I just purchased the OEM DRLs to add to my 2017 MKX. Does anyone know of a procedure to test these by have them illuminate before they are installed?

There are 6-pins on the DRL labeled

1 - DRL LED ANODE (+)

2 - LED SENSE

3 - DRL/NTC-

4 - Bin SENSE

5 - NTC SENSE

6 - DRL LED CATHODE (-)

Thanks

If your willing to entertain a guess, pins 1(+) & 6(-).

If your willing to entertain a guess, pins 1(+) & 6(-).

That will supply power but it may not turn them on.   I'm not sure that's something you can bench test.  The control signals may be digital.

That will supply power but it may not turn them on.   I'm not sure that's something you can bench test.  The control signals may be digital.

Deleted.

Edited by Cosmos36

Deleted.

I see you found it......  ;)

Many thanks, A.

Thanks for the follow-up. I did bench test between pins 1 & 6 and the DRL would not light until I increased the voltage to 16 volts. If they are digital as you mentioned, then I guess these fixtures can not be connected to the battery via a control relay. I wanted to add DRL to my 2017 MKX Premier which has the cutouts in the bumper but does not contain the required wiring assembly. It appears that I have to abort the project.

Thanks again.for your comments...

Thanks for the follow-up. I did bench test between pins 1 & 6 and the DRL would not light until I increased the voltage to 16 volts. If they are digital as you mentioned, then I guess these fixtures can not be connected to the battery via a control relay. I wanted to add DRL to my 2017 MKX Premier which has the cutouts in the bumper but does not contain the required wiring assembly. It appears that I have to abort the project.

Thanks again.for your comments...

Yeah, you would have to Buck Boost it to 16-18V off of your 12V relay source.

(Example of an adjustable Buck Booster...)

https://www.amazon.com/Yeeco-High-power-Regulator-Converter-Constant/dp/B00MIJL4OC/ref=asc_df_B00Q16YB9I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167146065113&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7094943331761919542&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031710&hvtargid=pla-305845666229&th=1

Thanks for this insight. I did not realize that theses buck boost were available. I don't think that I would want to add another device  to my MKX. Would you know why these factory DRLs require a higher voltage?? Was thinking abut replacing the internal LEDs in the factory DRL with a standard 12 volt after market but that would be a extreme measure. Whatever I do, it needs to be reliable b/c I have to pay the body shop to drop the front bumper to install a pair of factory DRLs.

Thanks, Ron

I'm more inclined to think that akirby''s remarks may be more on target. The lights only need 12 volts, but must be triggered by a gate circuit. (Simular to a SCR).

Before preceeding you need to get hold of a schematic.

Maybe a harness like this will work?

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Headlamp-Controller-Automotive-Assembly/dp/B00EUVFIYI

Edited by enigma-2