sdonaghey

Locking Chirp Malfunction

Early this year I brought my 16 MKX in because the chirp was first really low, then it just stopped working.  The dealership said it was faulty and replaced the horn or whatever it is that makes the chirp.  Well I was on vacation in Florida with the MKX and on the way down, we had a lot of rain one day.  We got out of the car to check into a motel and I noticed the chirp stopped working again.  It didn't start working again until maybe the next couple days.  Then it has been fine until last weekend when we had another huge rainstorm on Saturday all day and I noticed the chirp stopped again.  After the car dried out, it started working again, but not as loud as it was when it was replaced.  I am now wondering if there is an open wire somewhere causing a short.  Could this also explain the dead battery I had yesterday?  I reported it to the dealership yesterday when I stopped in to make an appointment for the battery problem.

As the issue is described, it seems possible that it could be related to a post reporting heavy rainfall and water penetration through the doors via the speakers. In that case, there were puddles on the door sills below the speakers. Have you noted any sill puddles, interior wet carpet, etc. that might suggest rainwater is affecting the chirp devices?

Just had my "chirpper" replaced.  Service manager said they had never done one before and took an extra day to be sure they had correct instructions and how to do it and more importantly, where the heck was it.  Seems it is located driver side in the general area (but not in!) wheel well.  So I am not sure the door leak sited issue is related to the chirpper not working, but maybe rain.  Mine just died one day.  Cannot say for sure it was rain induced or not ... not too much rain in Southern California.

For the door leak issue though when I had a chance to talk to the door expert, he pointed out that the doors have a piece of black plastic along the window top to bottom it travels next to the window and where it meets the top of the door might not seal well.  When we looked at MKXs on the lot, about 50% looked like they were sealed well but others you could tell were not under the weather stripping (if not tall enough, when you press on a top corner it travels more than you would expect) water gets in and the way he described the layout of the door basically channels the water if it gets in to the bottom of the door as pointed out.  Seems he knew much about water in the door.  Might be part of door water issue but not sure about shorting the chirpper.

d4dewu...thanks for your informative follow-up report. As to chirper location, I have noted that there appears to be two (at least) locations for chirpers. When seated in the driver's seat, one chirper loudly announces its interior location as being in the driver's side B-pillar vicinity related to, e.g. seat belt, hatch closing, etc. Another chirper seems more related to an exterior source, perhaps the driver's side wheel well or firewall area (?).

Yes, only " the shadow knows." Kinda gives our age away, along with the 'Green Hornet' & 'The FBI in Peace and War' radio programming of the '40s doesn't it?

I've just replaced the exterior chirper, as it was not very loud.  The chirper is located under the hood, running parallel to the top of the drivers side (left) front fender.  Its in a small covered area with a bunch of push rivets, seemingly to keep it dry but muffled.

Yes, only " the shadow knows." Kinda gives our age away, along with the 'Green Hornet' & 'The FBI in Peace and War' radio programming of the '40s doesn't it?

This is going to date me, but, I had the "shadow" for science class in high school. Really! His name was Mr. Winters and he played The Shadow on the radio, nationwide. On some pep rallies, they would turn out the auditorium lights, then over the loud speakers came the deep booming voice "who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men, ..... The Shadow knows .. boohhaaaaaa". Then the lights would start flashing like lightning. Sometimes he would dress up like Frankenstein and while the lights were flashing, walk stiff-legged on to the stage, hands outstretched like in the movies. (He also played Frankenstine on stage). A loud "arrrrghhh" rang out. It was great.

I've just replaced the exterior chirper, as it was not very loud.  The chirper is located under the hood, running parallel to the top of the drivers side (left) front fender.  Its in a small covered area with a bunch of push rivets, seemingly to keep it dry but muffled.

Did you replace it with an OEM unit or an aftermarket item?

I replaced it with OEM part FA1Z19G229A and its no louder than it was previously.  The way that it is enclosed in the engine compartment is directly related to its volume.