Timmer

Optimal Trade-In Time?

I'm wondering what advice my fellow forum members might have regarding optimal trade-in time on my 2016 MKX?

I have an August '16 build fully loaded MKX Reserve 3.7 with pretty much every option available. -  22-way massaging seats, all of the various option packages - the whole 9...

In a month or so, when we get back to the Upper Midwest from snowbirding, I'll have about 26-27,000 miles on the vehicle.

My original plan was to keep the MXK for four years (until August 2020 or so) and trade it in when the bumper-to-bumper warranty would be expiring.  At that point the 48-month 0% financing through Ford/Lincoln would be paid in full as well.

I'm very happy with my Lincoln experience and the MKX.  But am thinking it may be wise to consider trading it in on a new vehicle earlier than four years. 

While I'll research and will consider other options, I'll likely trade in for another MKX/Nautilus.

So... Suggestions or advice??

Thanks everyone!

Timmer

It’s always better financially to keep it as long as possible. Waiting until it’s paid for should give you more equity for the new one, and you’re protected by the warranty until then anyway. I don’t see a benefit to trading early except that you’ll be driving a newer/different vehicle sooner. Which is perfectly fine if that’s what you want to do. But I can’t find another justification to do it.

Edited by waltcmusic

Like akirby I say keep it until the warrenty expires and it is paid off. Although it looks like you do slightly more than average milage reliability should not be an issue in the four year period (no matter which engine is fitted). Also in 2020 you might be looking at a the new Aviator as an option  :thumbsup:

You're going to miss the good reliability of non-turbo like 3.7L does. New cars don't last as long as the old ones. More people will understand this clearly a few years later, despite some people don't believe me.

. Don't sell yourself short pardner... Why,I bet there are lots of people who don't believe you.

Edited by waltcmusic

That's fine... We're all here to voice our honest opinions.

Except your opinions are not fact.

Another trade-in factor is that car sales are currently sluggish.

Perhaps some good deals to be had in trading in my 2016 loaded Reserve for a similar 2018 or Black Label.

It will be fun checking things out when I get back home....

Timmer

If your still considering trading, personally I would wait until closer to when the 2019's are scheduled to come out. They will offer excellent deals on the 2018's at that time.

If your still considering trading, personally I would wait until closer to when the 2019's are scheduled to come out. They will offer excellent deals on the 2018's at that time.

Good advice, Enigma.  Any new info on when 2019 Nautilus will be available?

I recently visited my default southern California Ford/Lincoln dealer for an oil change, etc., before starting the trip home.  This is an upscale dealership with dedicated Lincoln service advisors, Lincoln owners lounge, special Black Label sales room, free yuppie coffees, etc.

It also presented the opportunity to talk to two different salespeople about the 2019 Nautilus while I was waiting.

It was uncomfortably embarrassing that I knew more about the Nautilus than either one of the salespeople...

The really scary part is that I know little to nothing about the Nautilus.  Yikes!

Timmer 

Production starts Sept 4 and they start arriving at dealers' in early October, 2018.

Thread on this: http://lincolnmkxforum.com/topic/2726-2019-lincoln-nautilus-will-begin-production-on-09042018/page-2?do=findComment&comment=12960

Thread on the 2019, note that it's several pages of discussion: http://lincolnmkxforum.com/topic/2319-2019-lincoln-nautilus/page-1#

Edited by enigma-2

The only thought I have is that an AWD vehicle might bring a bit more $ just before winter sets in.

Hi Everyone,

Well, I bit the bullet... I will be trading in my beautiful, fully loaded 2016 MKX Reserve for a brand spanking new 2018 MKX Black Label.

The new MKX is a special order from Oakville.  My dealer located a Black Label at another dealership that was close to what I wanted, But apparently the other dealer wouldn't part with it.

So now I'll be getting exactly what I want. Woo hoo!   I'll just have to wait a little longer is all...

It will again be like waiting for Christmas morning to arrive...  Fun!

Timmer

Congrats, Timmer. What colors? Did you stay with the 3.7?

<...> My dealer located a Black Label at another dealership that was close to what I wanted, But apparently the other dealer wouldn't part with it.

So now I'll be getting exactly what I want. Woo hoo!   I'll just have to wait a little longer is all <...>

Congratulations!  Was it the 22 Way Seats or the Park Assist that was missing on the BL at the other dealer?

Edited by waltcmusic

I hope yours is produced after Walt's because then it will be so much more reliable.

And quieter.

Edited by waltcmusic

But his might be a 2018.998 whereas yours will probably be a 2018.997.

Edited by waltcmusic

When I found out mine was built in June I just rolled it off a cliff.

My 2016 custom order was built late in the shift on the last day of 2016 production. It leaks motor oil.

I suppose if it was the 3.7 all would be well.

Congrats, Timmer. What colors? Did you stay with the 3.7?

Thanks Cosmos.  Burgundy Velvet Metallic with Indulgence interior.  I decided to give the 2.7TT a try on this one, but today I'm vacillating... That 3.7 is one heck of an engine!

Congratulations!  Was it the 22 Way Seats or the Park Assist that was missing on the BL at the other dealer?

Thanks!  The other vehicle had everything I wanted except the trailer tow package. But for whatever reason the other dealer wouldn't part with it...

There was another Black Label I liked, but it didn't have rooftop side rails, which I use with a Thule cargo box.  That became a deal-breaker on that vehicle when I found out the side rails couldn't be added or retrofitted by the dealer...