Conversion to LED Headlights  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you do it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Hi y'all,

When I got my 2016 MKX last year in January, the dealer had a beautiful Black Label in the showroom with the Indulgence Theme. I noticed the different headlights, Adaptive LEDs like in the pic below, that can be found in Reserve models as part of the Luxury Package. My vehicle comes with the normal Adaptive HID, which are quite bright but not as beautiful and cool looking as these. They seem to have the same size vessel and I was wondering if anyone here has done a conversion or maybe anyone knows and has a good relationship with a service advisor that could give an opinion on how hard to achieve this could be.

136B520D-7ADD-9E1E-3103-29B7310329B7.jpg

It might be far less expensive to just trade vehicles to meet your objective.

It might be far less expensive to just trade vehicles to meet your objective.

I believe it, it's not like the old days when it was a straight 12v hookup.

With all the tech cars have these days I'm sure there are a few parts that need replacement other than the light assemblies, like some mounts and specially a headlight control module unless the same one that's already in the car can be flashed to use the new lights. Trading the car seems more expensive assuming an industry avg of 30% loss of value during the first year. Maybe an old and experienced Service Advisor could bring some light to the matter or a really good Auto Electrical Shop. Anyone?

LED headlamps are not cheap for sure from Lincoln, check out my thread when my LED head lamps were cracked from dirt/rock from a Truck in front of me.

http://lincolnmkxforum.com/topic/1270-headlamp/

Edited by punch-card

Wow! Sorry about that. I can imagine how that feels. Ford Parts website shows the assemblies for $1600.

Edited by Rualnys

Even the normal headlights are not cheap.  Following my "incident: http://lincolnmkxforum.com/topic/2449-this-will-be-costly/?hl=glass ,they are replacing all front lights, both grilles and the Emblem. These 7 parts alone are over $5K.  The upside is I got to keep all of them for the core price of the 2 headlights ($120).

When there was a loose screw found in my driver's side headlight unit at around 1500 miles, they had to remove the front bumper to replace that unit. The Service Manager said it was a $2800 cost to Lincoln.

Ummm, HID doesn't sound so bad now, does it? Ouch.

I have been wondering about that. It still states they are adaptive now? So are they adaptive to corners or oncoming traffic or both. I'm sure they are fixed but I would imagine different ones turn on and or dim based on criteria?

From Lincoln website

post-1876-0-84972200-1515825573_thumb.png

Edited by Rualnys

They are adaptive but they don’t move. They turn elements on or off as needed to direct the light around the corner when turning.

They are adaptive but they don’t move. They turn elements on or off as needed to direct the light around the corner when turning.

That's what I thought;

adaptable=it depends on what the meaning of the word is is.

Adaptive, not adaptable. I'm this forum's king of autocorrects. You can't have my crown!

Check this in your own driveway. If the LEDs change in any manner whatsoever that you can detect, let me know.

This is just plain false advertising anybody who wants "adaptive headlights" is thinking of lights that swivel around corners.

I also don't see any advantage whatsoever with the leds (in the short term - not commenting on durability) over HIDs. They're no brighter and I'd even say their light is a bit less uniform.

That's not to say I think the LEDs don't work well. Generally, I think they are fine. Certainly not worth the cost though.

I won't be checking off this option is I lease another and would not recommend to others.

Bit if semantics here but for me if the leds turn of an d off based on what the vehicle is doing they are adaptive headlamps. Btw it doesn't say adaptive led as in individual is says adaptive led headlamps which I would say the marketing is correct.

It’s completely correct and accurate. There are some LEDs elements that shine to the left and some that shine to the right and the rest shine straight ahead. As you turn the wheel the appropriate right or left LEDs should light up giving the exact same affect as the HIDs that swivel. And I don’t think a driveway test is accurate - they may only work when the vehicle is moving.

He may be thinking of gen one type of headlamps. Concerning the "driveway test", when I start my MKX, the headlights "exercise" (for lack of a better word), swinging extreme left then extreme right to test the adaptive function. Because they swing to illuminate the turns through mechanical means, I doubt that it would be necessary when the new LEDS switch electrically, and, therefore nothing would happen in the driveway.

In my opinion, the advantage of using LEDS over Halagen or HID is less heat, less current (smaller wiring, less money), no mechanical contraption to be concerned with, and you retain full brightness straight ahead while also illuminating the turn.

While the cost seems rediculus, the development of the lights needs to be recovered. Have a friend who designed and developed an add-on third brake light (intended for older pick ups). Simple little light, plastic housing, red lens, prewired socket and bulb. He spent OVER $50,000 developing the red lens. It takes a computer and special machine to get the little dimples exactly right for the correct illumination pattern. Also a special lab to get the exact color match for the red. All of these tests and certifications are necessary to get DOT certification. (And all state laws require that any light used on a motor vehicle be DOT certified.) (BTW, those are mid 1990's prices). The price is for several different companies work in developing the LED fixture. Very exacting work.

It appears that the Luxury Package is kind of a bargain after all. For the price of $4k you also get the Revel Ultima, which is a crazy good audio sys and the knobs for volume and tune are quite luxurious too.

These lights are as basic as leds get there is no development cost that justifies the price. Look at bmw merc led lights to see what good leds do. My wife's Murano has leds so does the Hyundai Tuscon. What makes Lincoln special is just the look nothing else.

FWTW I believe I read that the ‘19 Nautilus will come standard with LED headlights. Kind of a moot point imho.

It appears that the Luxury Package is kind of a bargain after all. For the price of $4k you also get the Revel Ultima, which is a crazy good audio sys and the knobs for volume and tune are quite luxurious too.

Yea, but, my knobs are bigger that your knobs. Evil grin.

It’s completely correct and accurate. There are some LEDs elements that shine to the left and some that shine to the right and the rest shine straight ahead. As you turn the wheel the appropriate right or left LEDs should light up giving the exact same affect as the HIDs that swivel. And I don’t think a driveway test is accurate - they may only work when the vehicle is moving.

This is simply not true, with all due respect. If the LEDs are "adaptive" the effect is negligible at best. It's nothing like actual adaptive lights that swivel around corners. I've had those kind of lights and the Fords are not even in the same league.

In guessing that you don't have the LEDs, correct?

That's not to say they're not fine, they're just not really adaptive.

I'm ok with the headlights on my MKX. I just think the advertising is misleading.

Edited by walkabout