akirby

21" Tire Options

Time to replace the 265/40/21 tires on our 2016 Reserve.   Tread depth is low but they're getting noisy as hell.  22k.

The only all season option I can find is the OEM Pirelli Verde.   Decent price (just under $200) but I was hoping for something that wasn't as noisy.   They were super quiet for the first 10K or so but got noisy after that.

Pirelli Scorpion Zero all season plus is avail from tirerack, prob is you will get less out of those than the oem but they will be great for the 1st 10k mi...  My oems have 33k on them and agree, noisy as heck..  Been through this drill with 3 mkx's and 2 navigators with Pirelli's, always try for the Michelin's 2nd set.

Pirelli Scorpion Zero all season plus is avail from tirerack, prob is you will get less out of those than the oem but they will be great for the 1st 10k mi...  My oems have 33k on them and agree, noisy as heck..  Been through this drill with 3 mkx's and 2 navigators with Pirelli's, always try for the Michelin's 2nd set.

I saw those but the treadwear rating was half the Verdes as you say, and they were more expensive.   And no surveys yet.

I prefer Michelins but they don't have any all seasons available yet in a 21.

The Nautilus photos I’ve viewed seem to have a Continental tire for the 21’s. Never used that brand but it’s worth checking out.

The Nautilus photos I’ve viewed seem to have a Continental tire for the 21’s. Never used that brand but it’s worth checking out.

Hmm... I looked but didn't see anything on tirerack, but I'll look into it.

Thanks!

Those appear to be Cross Contact summer tires.

I had the Conti ProContacts as OEM on my 2013 Fusion and they were fine.

But they don’t have a 265/40r21 all season version right now.

Went with the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S. $1K out the door at Discount Tire including free replacement warranty against any kind of damage.

Soooo much quieter. I think one of the old tires slipped a belt.

Great warranty. With the sidewalls on the 21's, all it takes is a nasty pothole. (or hitting a curb like someone we won't mention).

After I put on my last set, I had them wire brush the rims to make a good seal. But two (one especially) developed rim leaks. Took it back between xmas and new years and had then seal the rims. Stopped all of those pesky slow leaks. Something I'm going to do with any tire replacment from now on. No leaks, but tire removal a bitch and the mechanics cuss me out.

I’m going with the 18s on my new F150. Choices are much better!

I dumped the 21" and put 18" wheels on the car. 235/60R18's give you essentialy the same circumference as the 245/60R21's that came on the car, so the speedometer will read within 0.5mph at 60. There are a lot more tire options in 18" and the car rides WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better on 18's. Night and day difference. 21" wheels may look cool, but any car will ride better with smaller wheels and a higher tire sidewall. Car manufacturers seem to keep going with larger wheels thinking they are better looking and give a more european firm ride. Ha! smaller wheels are better, and 18" is not a small wheel!

Have the OEM 18s on ours, the wife sees other MKXs with bigger wheels and thinks she's missing something but the ride and handling are great so I'm happy.

I honestly didn’t find much difference in ride quality between the 21s and the 18s but we were on good roads for the test drive.

Interesting that test rides are usually prety short and on good roads. Also, you are in a brand new car with lots of new stuff, so you might not notice the ride. On smooth roads any size tire will give a good ride, but when you start to get on roads with ripples, pot holes, or other irregularities, the 18" will give you a much better ride than the 21s. The 18s have about 1.5" more side wall and can flex a lot more than the 21s. 

Except I’ve owned the 21s for almost 3 years and have never had any complaints about the ride quality. We do have pretty good roads in Atlanta though.