Sign in to follow this  
Timmer

Tire Wear / Replacing MKX Tires

My 2016 MKX Reserve still has it's original Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 245/SR50R20 102V tires on it.

I'm about to hit 18,000 miles, mostly highway / cross country driving.

I agree with other's comments that these Hankook tires have worn pretty fast.  I'll be lucky to get another 5,000 miles out of them.

While there is still legal tire tread left, They've worn to the point where snow and winter driving will be iffy.

Has anyone replaced their Hankook tires yet? What brand did you replace with?

Any suggestions or reasons to choose a particular brand/model would be appreciated!

Timmer

2016 MKX First Pic

Edited by Timmer

My 2016 MKX Reserve still has it's original Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 245/SR50R20 102V tires on it.

I'm about to hit 18,000 miles, mostly highway / cross country driving.

I agree with other's comments that these Hankook tires have worn pretty fast. I'll be lucky to get another 5,000 miles out of them.

While there is still legal tire tread left, They've worn to the point where snow and winter driving will be iffy.

Has anyone replaced their Hankook tires yet? What brand did you replace with?

Any suggestions or reasons to choose a particular brand/model would be appreciated!

Timmer

Interesting I'm at 25k no tire issue yet. Same tire. Edited by thisguy159

Timmer...as you likely already know, replacing tires on a vehicle can be one of the most frustrating experiences in life if you hope to simply peruse opinions/tests/recommendations & 'best of' websites to arrive at a consensus conclusion...only to find that every user review contradicts other users.  The three vehicles in my current stable are equipped with Goodyear Eagle, Michelin Premier LTX, and Hankook S1 Noble 2 tires. Is any one of those tires superior to the others. Well...hmmm! It all depends on what you expect/demand of a tire and what features/compromises are paramount/acceptable to you. I love the asymmetric tread pattern, soft (relatively speaking) ride comfort, and Ultra High Performance rating, but they're not going to last 50,000 miles. The Goodyear Eagles were inexpensive value tires subject to very modest demands...I'm fine with them. The Michelins seem to be lasting forever, but don't appear to have any exciting features that make them superior overall.

The UHP rating of the Hankooks forewarns that long treadwear shouldn't be expected...the same with, e.g. the Continental DWS06 and several other popular 'sport' tires installed as OEM low profile rubber. Unless you're a very aggressive driver, an HP all-season touring tire such as the Michelin Latitude might meet your expectations & needs. There are, of course, several competitors available at a wide variety of prices (if price is important).

The previous owner had put on a set of Bridgestone 245/SR50-20's on my MKX. I had 36k+ on them when I decided to put on a new set (still had legal tread, relitavely quiet and smooth, but any tire 3/4 the way through it's life will get noisy and less traction). Really like and recommend the Bridgestone's.

A good place to start is Tirerack.Com. Also recommend you check Amazon.com in the user comments section. All too often users report how great their new tires are when they only have 1000 miles on them. Of course most quality tires will be quiet and smooth when new. It's what they are like when they have 20-25k on them that makes one better than the other. Tirerack does a lot of actual testing that helps as well.

I'm already on my third set of tires on my 2016 at just under 40K miles, and it seems like the tires they are selling now are just made to wear out quickly.  I do mostly highway driving to work, and don't understand why tires would wear out like this.  I've never had a vehicle wear on tires like this.  I'm really curious if anyone has found tires that last more than 20K miles.  This time next year, after another 20K, I'll probably have to replace them again, and I'd love to see have some better options.

@34k have about 10k left still on the first set.

Interesting I'm at 25k no tire issue yet. Same tire.

22k miles here, same tires, barely worn.

I'm already on my third set of tires on my 2016 at just under 40K miles, and it seems like the tires they are selling now are just made to wear out quickly.  I do mostly highway driving to work, and don't understand why tires would wear out like this.  I've never had a vehicle wear on tires like this.  I'm really curious if anyone has found tires that last more than 20K miles.  This time next year, after another 20K, I'll probably have to replace them again, and I'd love to see have some better options.

Which brand and size? All season or summer?

I rarely get more than 25K out of a set of tires. I think climate and road condition has a lot to do with it.

Thanks for asking, Kirby. Any discussion regarding tire features or wear is worthless without identifying the brand, model, and size of the rubber.

BTW, the bottled water I purchase has the best flavor of any available. 

Previous owner had put on a set of Bridgestone Duelers. I still had useable tread at 36k, changed to get better traction with new. Went with same tire as they run quiet, good traction and long life. Not the cheapest, but got two refunds from Ford.

How much of the differences in tire wear between people who've posted on this site do you think is related to (1) individual driving differences (e.g. heavy braking), and (2) geographic differences (hotter climate, road asphalt composition, etc)?

How much of the differences in tire wear between people who've posted on this site do you think is related to (1) individual driving differences (e.g. heavy braking), and (2) geographic differences (hotter climate, road asphalt composition, etc)?

Yes

It has to be more location than anything else because I’m a fairly easy driver 95% of the time and my wife drives like a grandma all the time.

I'm still awaiting a response to post #8 concerning tire identification. Back in the day, the spouse bought a Maverick that came from the factory with French-made Michelin tires that lasted for ~ 93,000 miles (note: there was a strike by U.S tire manufacturers forcing Ford to purchase tires from outside sources). The Michelin tread compound was so hard that the tires demanded extreme driver caution when executing curves and braking on wet surfaces...they were entirely worthless in snow & ice conditions, but never appeared to wear as the years worn on.

There is no denying that pavement condition/composition, tire size, sidewall construction, tread compound, environmental conditions, and driver demands all contribute to tire wear. But, when comparing tire wear, a summer tire can't be compared to a touring or all-season tire.

I recall a driver on another forum complaining about receiving only ~ 18,000 miles on both OEM & replacement tires regardless of regular tire maintenance (proper pressures, rotation, etc.) After prolonged forum discussion, the driver finally (after badgering for more details...whew!) confessed that he commuted daily 100+ miles over a canyon-carving section of I-64 curves through the Appalachian Mtns at 75-80 MPH. As I later drove the same highway section while vacationing in the vicinity, I recalled the forum discussion and imagined the scuffing & scrubbing the poster's tires received during high speed daily commutes up & down that road.

I'm still waiting for an answer to post #8 above that may complete the conversation.

In my opinion, tire wear is directly related to the composition or the tread rubber. A tire with soft, rubbery tread will dive extremely quite and smooth. But the soft tread will weal quickly. A tire with a head tread will drive like truck, noisy and hard, but later forever.

Driving with low air pressure will cause damage to the tire, dramatically lowering it's life (even though there is sufficient tread left).

I believe that these two factors affect the longivity of a tires life more so than anything else.

Course some kids love to burn rubber, and it's easy to see just how many miles a dragster tire gets :-)

That’s true and that’s where the treadwear rating comes into play. But within that range we see a lot of variation and I think that is due more to the heat and the road conditions than driving style.

I do know I’d rather have a soft tire that rides and handles great and works well in the wet and replace them every 2-3 years than to have a tire that lasts 4-5 years but feels and handles like concrete.

Being originally from the UK, I had never heard of a 50,000 mile tire (never mind 60 and 70,000 miles). In the UK we thought we had really looked after our tires if we got over 25,000 miles (yes new tires every two years). New tires in the UK also seemed to have more tread depth than the tires I can get here. 

At the current rates of wear, the 18 inch Michelin Premier LTX rubber will easily exceed 40,000 miles on the '16 MKX.

Ninja, I lived in the Uk for a while. The tires there are the exact same this we have here. The main difference was that some of the Asian brands we have here (like Kuhmo) were not common. And, of course, most of the cars are smaller so tired were not in the same large sizes.

I wonder if you were just used to folk driving around in summer this (which don't last long).

My lease is. 36,000. I have the 21" pirelli scorpions. I would be shocked if they don't make it to lease ends. Wear had been gentle.

I think 21" make no sense at all, but that's another issue.

I have a 2016 Reserve with the stock 20" rims, with the Hankooks. We had a non-repairable puncture at around 16K miles so 1 new tire was added based on a separate windshield/dent/tire warranty. But the prepaid maintenance did not rotate the tires on that size because of a size difference and AWD.At 31,000 miles  I replaced the Hankooks with Michelin Premiere LTX. I have about 10K miles and have no issues. I don't know how long they will last but with a 55,000 mile warranty I know I will either get the miles or an adjustment on the next set.

Mine just hit 35k Miles and I have had it since August of 2015, been to Florida and in and around DC a few so...