Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

Sign in to follow this  
sdonaghey

Removing

Can anyone provide me starting steps on what needs to be removed first to open up the center area to remove the Sync system?  I can't find anything showing the steps and I don't have a shop manual available to show me.  Just wondering what is the first piece to remove, just so I don't break anything.

Nobody has any ideas?

Goto YouTube search for Lincoln MKX APIM several good videos show how step by step.

Hope this helps.

I just did this for my 2016 MKX.  Here are the instructions I followed:

1.      Open the floor console arm rest.

2.      Pull up to release the clips (2 in center of cup holders / 2 at back near hinge of arm rest) and remove the floor console trim panel.

a.      Disconnect the electrical connector for the lighted cupholders

3.      Pull out to release the clips and remove the RH (woodgrain) floor console upper trim panel.

4.      Repeat for the LH console upper trim panel.

5.      Open the media bin.

6.      Remove the media hub.

a.      Disconnect the electrical connector.

7.      Release the floor console upper side trim panels from each side.  They do not have to be removed.

8.      Close the media bin and remove the bolts, release the clips and pull up and back to remove the media bin assembly (6 bolts).

a.      Disconnect the electrical connectors.

9.      Release the clips and remove the instrument panel speaker grille (6 clips)

a.      Disconnect the electrical connectors.

10.   For the (FCIM climate/radio) center console panel (Sync system is attached to the panel)

a.      Remove the bolts (2 Top / 2 Bottom).

b.      Remove the screws (2 per side)

c.      Disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the FCIM.

Yep, that is exactly what I did.  I just got a new Sync 3 unit installed and programmed and love it.  Only problem is, I got the wrong usb hub for the media bin.  I have to return it and get the correct version that has Apple CarPlay.

I ordered the blue one off eBay - part = HC3Z19A387B

Works great.

Hello all, found this forum while trying to upgrade the media hub on my 2016 MKX. Bought the upgraded hub for CarPlay and when removing the original hub I find the wires seem to be too short to get it out far enough to release the wires. Any thoughts on how I should tackle the removal?

Hopefully this older thread can be ressurected. Today my installer came by to replace the Sync 2 with the Sync 3. Everything wqas goiunf smoothly until it came time to remove the console. The media bin seems to be held down with a ship's anchor! She removed all bolts and popped all clips and the damn thing won't come out. It seems to be held in place by another bold but we can't find it. Anyone have a solution so we can get this done?