Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Air turbulence

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

Currently driving a 2916 MKX as a loaner from local dealer.

Driving slow, 30-35 mph. Opened the BAMR all the way and the whop-whop-whop noise was so loud I had to pull over do to air turbulence. Incredibly loud and distracting, to the point of painful. Wondering if the ANC was trying to compensate and making it worse. In any case it's intolerable. This is not present in my 2009 (at least not to this degree).

Revell audio is too tinny. Set the bass and mid to full up. Helped. Not impressed (mine has THX and I prefer mine over the 2016). Sirus locks in faster, my 09 has to take a second or two and then announces the channel number for each channel change. Not a big deal, but a pet pieve.

Cabin is MUCH quieter. Car is also smoother and more responsive. Great acceleration. 3.7l. Very powerful. Car holds the road in tight turn very nicely. Very satisifted with handling characteristics. Power and control are excellent.

Controls are confusing, too many menus. Takes my eyes off road to read too long.

Too many controls stacked on stalks. Kept hitting the rear wiper when trying to wash windshield. Definitely minus.

Seats are very comfortable. Not happy with seat cooling, 2009 better.

Black interior hot in sun, prefer my sand color.

Very, very responsive driving, sporty. Brakes will put your nose on the windshield. Much better than my 09, but, prefer a little more foot travel to, ummm, "ease" the brakes on slower. Perhaps TOO responsive.

Some others complain about dirt buildup at bottom of doors. I checked and there is indeed a layer of dirt at the bottom of the doors. I would be inclined to clean this area more often.

Backup camera had a redish or pinkish tint. Made it more difficult to see clearly. All around warning system VERY accurate and VERY nice feature. Still have to turn and look however. Technology only can see so much. Nice supplement when getting into tight space. Screen color and clarity need work however, especially when considering today's optical standards.

Car did not have a SD card so I could not use the navigation system.

Phone synced easily.

Like being able to fold mirrors when driving. I pull close to mailbox and manually fold my mirror to get close. Being able to fold electrically is handy, not to mention convenient when raining.

At grocery store, car refused to start, claiming there was no IA key inside car. In fact it was in my pocket. Had to remove from pocket before car seen the FOB.

On a scale of 5 stars, I would rate at 4.7.

Edited by enigma-2, 06 June 2017 - 01:32 PM.

• thisguy159 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

Sync 3 does not use a SD card for nav maps.   It's internal on the hard drive.

Hard to believe the Revel sounds "tinny".   We keep ours on +2 Bass and 0 mid and it sounds great.  Bad source?

On the BAMR - you're not supposed to open it all the way while moving.  That's why it stops short when you hit the button once - it's called comfort mode.   If you want it wide open crack the back windows and it should be ok.

#3 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 991 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:54 PM

Display stated "no SD card inserted". Clicked on find my location znd it said something about installing a SD card to use navigation.
Sound was tinny as I stated. Helped when I went to full bass and mid range. Not at all what I expected. I think the reason I commented was I never hear this on my 09, but it was horrible on tbe 16.
As for the BAMR, I did have the windows open. Your right, 1/2 open did fix the problem.

One other disappointment I found while returning the car. The screen seems to be at an angle where the sun floods the display. I was unable to read the display do to the sun washing it out, and fingerprints.

When I turned it in the agent at the service counter asked how I liked it, told him it was fine until I rolled it, pulls to the right now. Wish I had a camera to take a picture of his face. After assuring him that I actually didn't roll ut, he asked if I was returning it with a full tank. Told him I had stopped on the way back and pumped in a gallon and a half of diesel. Another picture moment. And he gurgled. It's the little things ....
  • richy, VisionPilot, Timmer and 1 other like this

#4 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:07 PM

Currently driving a 2916 MKX as a loaner from local dealer.

Driving slow, 30-35 mph. Opened the BAMR all the way and the whop-whop-whop noise was so loud I had to pull over do to air turbulence. Incredibly loud and distracting, to the point of painful. Wondering if the ANC was trying to compensate and making it worse. In any case it's intolerable. This is not present in my 2009 (at least not to this degree)......

Wow you are from the future!

#5 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

I forgot the 2016 early builds still had MFT.

#6 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

The revel system certainly does not sound tinny. I'm as critical of the mkx as anybody here but that stereo is amazing.

There is no tint whatsoever to my backup screen either.

Oh, and I completely agree with the OP about brakes.  Way too grabby. 

Edited by walkabout, 07 June 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   DZDub

DZDub

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lexus HS250h

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

Sync 3 does not use a SD card for nav maps.   It's internal on the hard drive.

Hard to believe the Revel sounds "tinny".   We keep ours on +2 Bass and 0 mid and it sounds great.  Bad source?

On the BAMR - you're not supposed to open it all the way while moving.  That's why it stops short when you hit the button once - it's called comfort mode.   If you want it wide open crack the back windows and it should be ok.

To second this..  the Whop Whop sound is technically called buffeting and occurs when the roof is full open and air is bypassing the deflector and attempting to recirc. inside your vehicle.  With the rear windows down, you enable a flow path for the air to travel in through sunroof and out the windows more efficiently thus reducing the sound.  The point at which you equalize the incoming flow from the roof to the air traveling through the rear should be the point at which the sound is minimal or goes away completely

When your roof is express opened to it initial position, the deflector is designed to deflect the airflow just past the open edge of the moonroof.  When you open that little extra bit is when you get the buffeting

#8 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 991 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

Thank DZDub. Yes, was ok at the first stop position. What surprised me was the degree of sound it generated. I've experienced the whop-whop on my 09, but never nothing like this. At at low speed, was right around 30 mph. It actually became so loud, so painful, I had to pull over and close the roof. It was well beyond intolerable.

And amother curious point, while driving at a near steady speed (in town), it started at a level that one would expect, not really too bad, but it quickly (10-20 seconds) grew in intensity. This is why I was suspecting that the ANC was attempting to neutralize the sound and made the situation worse. It was so loud, so strong, I felt it was going to blow the back window out. I had never experienced anything close to this in my 09 MKX.

But, it has a easy fix, stop at the first stop, and so it's not a deal breaker. (Still think it was the ANC causing the real problem however).

#9 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:21 PM

It all comes down to aerodynamics and other variables as to how bad it will be from vehicle to vehicle.

#10 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 991 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

So I was going out to pick up carry out and thought I would experiment. Opened the BAMR all the way, windows down, various speeds.

Sirus on 60's on 6, "I Sold My Heart To The Junkman" blasting on the radio (one of the biggies of the 60's), and no whop-whop-whop at all. (I've heard it the past, but only at highway speeds).

For the life of me I really don't see any difference between Gen 1 and Gen 3 in the roof.

Anyway, the Chinese was good. Damn if I'll ever master rice and chopsticks though. Probably why the Chinese are so skinny.

#11 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Resident

• MKX Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

Re: "...dirt buildup at bottom of doors." Agreed...that's an issue with the current model since the cladded area wraps under the car rather aggressively and dirt/debris builds up there on both the interior & exterior areas of the doors. When washing the MKX exterior, I use a well-soaped long-handled very soft brush to wash the wrap-around cladding underside. When hand drying the lower interior door areas, the wife is of great assistance since I hate stooping to do any detailing.

enigma...your problem with chopsticks & rice is the nature of the rice served in most U.S. Chinese restaurants. In China, the rice is quality 'sticky rice' and forms bite sized clumps easy to pick up with the sticks. Also in China, restaurant food is abundant and inexpensive, usually served on a lazy susan nearly the diameter of the table and stacked 3 or more bowls/plates high for less per person than the cost of a single serving of fish & chips in America. As to 'skinny' Chinese, the wealth & ubiquity of the rapidly expanding middle class is an issue affecting the waist diameter of the average non-farm Chinese city dweller. In restaurants, the plate that you eat on is commonly the size of an American saucer which helps immensely to curtail the food intake of most foreign visitors.

Edited by Cosmos36, 10 June 2017 - 11:10 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   richy

richy

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationWindsor
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2015

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

Display stated "no SD card inserted". Clicked on find my location znd it said something about installing a SD card to use navigation.
Sound was tinny as I stated. Helped when I went to full bass and mid range. Not at all what I expected. I think the reason I commented was I never hear this on my 09, but it was horrible on tbe 16.
As for the BAMR, I did have the windows open. Your right, 1/2 open did fix the problem.

One other disappointment I found while returning the car. The screen seems to be at an angle where the sun floods the display. I was unable to read the display do to the sun washing it out, and fingerprints.

When I turned it in the agent at the service counter asked how I liked it, told him it was fine until I rolled it, pulls to the right now. Wish I had a camera to take a picture of his face. After assuring him that I actually didn't roll ut, he asked if I was returning it with a full tank. Told him I had stopped on the way back and pumped in a gallon and a half of diesel. Another picture moment. And he gurgled. It's the little things ....

Tell him good news and bad news.  Good news is you found Jimmy Hoffa...bad news is the vehicle is a little stinky now...

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·