Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

Sign in to follow this  
greyfox47

Headlight Horizontal (left/right) Alignment

I'm assuming all LIncoln MKX headlights lead when turning. However, when the vehicle is pointed straight ahead, both lamps are definitely skewed left. At night, I get the flashing beams from more than 1/2 the drivers I meet. I found a vertical headlight adjustment in the manual but nothing for horizontal. Can they be owner adjusted? 

They are non-adjustable. Start by checkin the adaptive headlight fuse to see if the module still had power.

I looked in the manual and couldn't find a fuse related to the headlights except for the individual right and left hand light fuses. However, the lights respond and act as described in the Adaptive Headlight section of the manual. It's their neutral position that seems slightly to the left. When I park at a wall at a 90° angle, the right lamp is pointed straight ahead and the left definitely cockeyed to the left. So, I think I'm sending a beam right at an oncoming driver. Height looks okay.

Not sure if this is applicable on the new headlights but see if the bulb is seated properly.  Other than that you'll probably have to let the dealer sort it out.

You own a 2017 MKX; why are you looking to make the adjustment? Take your $50K vehicle back to the dealer and have them re-adjust/install the lights to the correct factory settings

Actually you don't even have to take it in - they'll come pick it up. But still less trouble if it's a simple adjustment you could do yourself. But it's not.

greyfox47  Please let us know how you made out at the dealership.  It will be interesting to know if they found a problem and were able to make the appropriate adjustment.  Thanks.

I took the car to the dealer for resolution. An earlier poster was correct, there is no adjustment. Five hours later, I met with the service rep and was told that the entire module had to be replaced because "it wasn't moving at all, complete failure" and would need to be ordered. I replied that his information must be incorrect because the module worked, but when the headlight returned to the home position, it pointed across the road almost directly at oncoming traffic especially when on a two-way road. The rep replied that he probably just got it wrong. I returned two days later and the new module was installed. As far as I can tell, it doesn't function any differently that the one they replaced. This is my 3rd issue with this car. The first two were rattles, one was resolved. The other continues and yesterday while running a simple errand only 5 miles from home, a vibrating rattle sang to me from the back seat (?) area for the entire trip. A case of buyer's remorse is already setting in and I've only owned it since Feb 21st. 

just out of curiosity do you have the normal or LED headlights?

The LED option was $$$$ and the best $$$ I ever spent.  They light up the road like aircraft landing lights high or low beam and in 7 months I've not had anyone flash lights at me.  I had to drive ahead of it to prove it to myself.

I live way out in the weeds so it's dark on moonless nights and I've driven slowly and watched the lights react.  When I stop they snap back to neutral and at a slow roll they track steering.

The way they light up the road edges as well as the lanes is a game changer. :chacha:

If the LED lights were a stand alone option I certainly would have them,  However, I did not want to pony up $4,400  for LED headlights as well as a super duper radio that I do not listen to.  I think that Lincoln is missing the boat by combining the LEDs in this manner.  In my opinion, if they need to combine them at all, they should be with Driver Assistance Package or the Technology Package.  In reality, I think that they should a standard item like Acura.  Further, it does not pass my sensibility test that we should have to pay so much more for the Driver Assistance Package when these items are standard on even the least expensive Toyota.  Just one man's thoughts.  I would really like to have  those headlights. 

You're paying for the option either way - if they're standard then the base price goes up to cover the cost.  TANSTAAFL

Just out of curiosity - you never listen to the stereo?

I rarely have the radio on when I drive.  I will  turn it on if I want to find out some specific information about local traffic or if there is a piece of news I want to fallow.  I enjoy the simple act of driving and to me the extraneous sound of the radio just spoils the experience.  Also, after 26 years in the Air Force, I am used to listening to engines.  There is a lot to be learned just by listening.  Changes in RPM, pumps doing their thing, unwanted sounds etc. Every sound tell  you something.  Good or bad.  In the past I could even distinguish specific aircraft flying overhead just by their sound.  As an aside, it boggles my mind why anyone would want a radio in a vehicle with 19 speakers.  But, that is just me.   

I don't think I've ever driven by myself without the radio on.  That's pretty much the only time I listen to music.   Same with the TV at home.  I need noise of some kind.

Yeah, I have the adaptive headlights. Other than the fact that I think they are aligned too far across the oncoming lane, they do a "fine" job of lighting up the road. Interesting enough, if I select the non-Auto position on the switch (turn adaptive off), they illuminate the road more like traditional aligned headlights. only brighter. Like 'em.

You can turn adaptive off? :gaah:

I thought that "auto" just used the sun sensor to turn the lights on and off depending on light conditions. U

Edited by enigma-2

I have the adaptive HID headlights.  Within the first week of getting the MKX and heading home from a Sunday dinner with my parents I got flashed by about 90% of the oncoming vehicles I met on the road (over 30 minute drive in the country).  Prior to the MKX I had the 2015 Genesis with HID and definitely did not have this type of response from oncoming traffic.  As a result, took the time to review the forums and see that this high low beam headlight issue seems to affect the MKX on a regular basis.  Took some painters tape and pulled into a close industrial area with a good vertical wall building with level pavement and re-adjusted the vertical position of the headlights based on the instructions in the owners manual.  Thought about setting up an appointment with the dealership but it honestly only took me 30 minutes in total to resolve and it was very easy to do.  The adjustments are right on top of the engine bay and could be handled with the standard #2 Philips screwdriver.  

I agree that I've never had a vehicle come from factory where I've needed to do this before.  But I do have to say the lights on the MKX are excellent and actually much better than my Genesis HIDs at lighting up the road (prior to adjustment and after as well). 

After adjusting, took it for another drive and not a single flash back!  :-)

Maybe not Lincoln, may have been idiot tech at dealer thinking he knew better. Had this happen to my mom several times from local Toyota dealer. (Every time she tool it in, in fact). Same jerk always set her tire pressure to whatever it said on tire sidewall. Over inflated, made her car wander all over road and get really wild when she hit s pothole. Finally had it out with service manager, got nowhere, and got so @$!# mad went in an talked to VP. Another idiot, so I called Toyota. Service manager was gone week later, but how many cars did he screw up (or have his techs screw up).