Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

greyfox47

2017 MKX 2nd Cabin Rattle/Noise

I posted earlier on a driver side rattle that occurs 50% of the time when I hit any kind of bump or road imperfection. That remains unresolved. The new "noise" is more annoying. At highway speeds, eventually as a driver I hear something, which is a steady, consistent cabin rattle. From the passenger seat, it is much louder. Once it starts, it doesn't go away while the car is moving, regardless of speed. I recorded the sounds, which never seems to vary much in pitch on my phone. Yesterday, we were on Interstate 80 and the noise was in its full glory while I sat on the passenger side. Then we ran into a steady, sometimes heavy, rain and the noise seemed to subside and actually ceased until about 10 minutes after the rain stopped. Any thoughts on where I might start looking? I'm thinking undercarriage but mainly because of the rain connection (?). A $52000 rattle box is not what I had in mind. I've attached the audio file. Car noise 7.wav

Check the following just to be safe:

glasses in overhead storage

visor not secured

something in lower door pockets

All can cause a rattle that may seem to emanate from somewhere else in the vehicle.

Also check for rear seat belt buckle hitting side of seat.

Yeah, I verified that the source is not buckles or storage areas. The service manager from the purchase dealer rode along with me yesterday and has the vehicle. I'm grateful that he acknowledged the noise. Further refining, it occurs between 35mph and 70mph and fortunately (?) has become easy to replicate. They worked the issue all day yesterday (Friday 4/29) and still have the car. The good news is that I'm driving a new Continental as a loaner, but quite honestly, for the money especially, I enjoy the MKX a whole lot more. Assuming they find something, I'll repost with the results. Oh.... I couldn't reproduce the noise from an earlier post.

Did the rattle get resolved?  Does your MKX have the pano roof?

Yes, I have the pano roof and fortunately, the noise wasn't coming from there. The issue did get resolved. It was under a trim piece beneath the wiper cowl. Apparently a clip was loose. Using 3M strip caulk, they insulated the heads of the clips. The noise is gone thankfully.

Edited by greyfox47

Excellent! Glad you had a good customer service experience and you got the issue resolved. A rattle like that on a new car would drive me insane

Yes, mostly happy with this outcome. I'll be posting again though because I have a new rattle. 

Not so fast says I. The supposedly repaired rattle returned while on an extended I-25 drive south of Denver. This time it is more difficult to reproduce so the dealer has been underwhelming in his troubleshooting. Does anyone know how to contact the district representative? Do car manufacturers still use these guys? Years ago, the best way to get an issue elevated was to get a district guy involved. I'm looking for options to get the dealer motivated to do something.

I have had a rattle since buying the car that was difficult to isolate.  It wasn't continuous, just a single "rattle" when going over certain bumps.  I was convinced that it must be the hatch door, but that seemed to be aligned true, and firmly seated at all soft points.  I finally isolated it to the optional metal cargo tie down loops.  While they seemed to be sufficiently spring loaded and pressed down, as an experiment, I flipped them up and kept them supported with the rubber cargo mat.  Occasional noise is gone!

May consider putting felt bumpers under the tie downs

I posted earlier on a driver side rattle that occurs 50% of the time when I hit any kind of bump or road imperfection. That remains unresolved. The new "noise" is more annoying. At highway speeds, eventually as a driver I hear something, which is a steady, consistent cabin rattle. From the passenger seat, it is much louder. Once it starts, it doesn't go away while the car is moving, regardless of speed. I recorded the sounds, which never seems to vary much in pitch on my phone. Yesterday, we were on Interstate 80 and the noise was in its full glory while I sat on the passenger side. Then we ran into a steady, sometimes heavy, rain and the noise seemed to subside and actually ceased until about 10 minutes after the rain stopped. Any thoughts on where I might start looking? I'm thinking undercarriage but mainly because of the rain connection (?). A $52000 rattle box is not what I had in mind. I've attached the audio file. attachicon.gifCar noise 7.wav

Any chance of this being the ANC (automatic noise cancellation) going rouge?  In their infant stupidity (one of the vary few times) there is no way to shut it off to check it out.

Does it start as soon as you drive off, or does the engine, exhaust etc need to warm up before it you begin to hear it?

After listening to the sound, I'm inclined to suspect an alternator bearing, ac bearing, water pump bearing, power steering bearing or defective timing chain guide. (Sound doesnt change with speed). Another possibility would be a loose heat shield.

Any chance of this being the ANC (automatic noise cancellation) going rouge?  In their infant stupidity (one of the vary few times) there is no way to shut it off to check it out.

Pretty stupid...  My $100 headphone got a switch so I can ear the difference.

I suspect mine is not working as it seem more noisier now versus when I first got the MKX.  The dealership has no way to check it.

Most of the bearings are sealed and would not be affected by rain, but I have seen my fair share of loose heat shields. Possible rust around the screw holes?

Easiest way to tell is to scoot under the CUV and wighle the heat shields.

Professional mechanics use a type of sethoscope to isolate where the sound is coming from. For the rest of us, we use a long screwdriver. Put the screwdriver end on a point on the enine and your ear to the handle. I like wood handles for this. Have a 24" long wood-handled screwdriver I use just for this.

BTW, even sealed bearings fail. Don't write off anything until your certain.

... Professional mechanics use a type of sethoscope to isolate where the sound is coming from...

Very expensive tool that justified the $120 an hour faultfinding technique...  ;)

$3.99 at https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-69913.html

After listening to the sound, I'm inclined to suspect an alternator bearing, ac bearing, water pump bearing, power steering bearing or defective timing chain guide. (Sound doesnt change with speed). Another possibility would be a loose heat shield.

Bingo!! I have another posting where I get into more detail, but it was a loose heat shield under the passenger side. I was fortunate to get the same tech at each visit so he knew where he had investigated and ruled out. I owe the guy a dozen donuts when I return for service.

Around this next of the woods, Amish Crack is without doubt the best donut you'll ever find.

Early on, I had a "mystery rattle" on my 2016 MKX Reserve.

While inspecting, I noticed the molded plastic splash guard (heat shield?) protecting the driver's side undercarriage was somewhat loose.  It rattled a bit when I tapped it with my fingers.  

As I recall, the rattle location was near the footwell of the left rear passenger area.  But underneath the car, not inside.

So a trip to the dealer and a complimentary loaner.  Turned out one or more fasteners were indeed missing and/or loose.  They were reinstalled, all tightened by the dealer and bingo - problem solved...

Timmer