Sign in to follow this  
Malta2

2012 Edge Sport K&N fit on a 2012 MKX?

Why? If your truly set on throwing your money away of something that will NOT increase horsepower or fuel economy, but WILL make your MKX sound like a truck, you should reat the comments to a fellow responding to one for sale in the Edge forum.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/21491-07-10-k-n-intake-fs-77-2574ks/?fromsearch=1

(Also because it's more porus than standard air filters, it's been found to pass the smaller dirt particles which score the cylinder walls. Not a problem on racing engines that get rebuilt after every race (K & N came fron racing) but passenger cars are designed to go the life of the car without being rebuilt.)

Plus it may void any warranty on your car, such as the Ford Extended Warranty. (They include a clause about modifying your car with non-authorizon parts.)

Thanks for the info enigma.

Yes i've read over and over about the pros and cons of the filter. I've been using there products for over 20 years in multiple applications from simple drop in filter's to custom CAI and have never had any issues ( I do maintain them with regular re-oiling).

My MKX is out of the comprehensive warranty but I believe I do have some left on the powertrain so I would definitely not touch anything until that finished. I have a short commute and only put about 5oookms a year so fuel economy is not a concern to me. I personally like the look of a nice intake under the hood rather than those huge factory airboxes. I know the performance gains are minimal at best but i'll take it!

As far as the sound goes I think it would compliment the 3.7 with a little sound remember the only time you'll really hear the intake would be under WOT.

I was just curious about the fitment, being a new mkx owner i'm still trying to find out how compatible Edge parts are.

Edges/MKX`s. They are more compatible than you think. Check out MACTFORDEDGE on YouTube for the K&N video install and lots others.Neat video site. K&N filter porisity and cylinder wall scratching from a reply? Misleadingly Inaccurate at best. Besides racing, these filters have applications in Aviation, Marine and Military with both FAA and MILSPEC certs. They do not certify products that may damage. They use K&N to prolong engine life not shorten them. Geez!! Hello, Its the cheap filters that are porous not K&N. I used their systems in non racing marine,touring motorcycles and 5 cars all with high engine hours and miles with no cylinder wall scratching. All original engines with well over 150k miles and sold the cars to decerning tech buyers who ran engine tests including cylinder wall inspections. GEEZ again.!!!!

You are safe to do the K&N conversion. It's sweet engineering by K&N and a plug and play operation. Sounds like a Truck? Depends how you define sound. I heard it on the video and it was MKX elegant. Only caution make sure when it's time to clean and re-oil the filter, you do it right and do not over oil as you could damage the MAF sensor to name one ($489.00). I normally buy an extra filter so I am not filterless when cleaning. When you clean, follow their instructions and let the filter dry overnight.

You should be good to go.

K&N is more porous than paper filters.  It has to be otherwise it wouldn't flow more air.  And it's not very dusty in Illinois.

Illinois is very dusty. Depends where you live. Your inaccurate about air flow. It's all in the filter membrane and oil treatment. Are you a Fram or OEM filter sales person?

Why is il very dusty? Cold yes, poorly managed yes...etc. Dusty no.

Illinois is very dusty. Depends where you live. Your inaccurate about air flow. It's all in the filter membrane and oil treatment. Are you a Fram or OEM filter sales person?

Illinois is not Arizona dusty.  Not even close.

I don't sell filters - I'm an IT architect.  Do you work for K&N?

Perhaps you're confused about the meaning of porous?  If the K&N allows more air to flow than the OEM paper filter then it has to be more porous.  There is no other way for it to flow more air.   Being more porous allows larger dust particles to pass through the filter.  Even K&N admits this.  And you're only getting more airflow at WOT - in normal driving there is no benefit other than you can clean it instead of having to replace it and it makes a different sound.

I'm not saying they'll damage the engine, just clarifying the porosity comment.

THISGUY159 - Again, depends where you live in Illinois.

AKIRBY - How did Arizona get into this conversation?

And no I do not work for K&N. Just have 2 decades of wonderful driving experiances on K&N filters. You are on a different tack about normal driving. There are quite a few benefits. Hmm, how would you know anyway. Your paper. Porous Definition? I seriously challenge the H&N admittance statement.

MALTA2 - my MKX friend. If this K&N system is your under the hood dream desire and you want a particular sound to your MKX, Then by all means do it. I personally think this system looks absolutley knitted.

FINIS

THISGUY159 - Again, depends where you live in Illinois.

FINIS

Not trying to pick on you but that is like saying Illinois is surrounded by water.  Its not an absolute...Illinois is not dusty as a whole though there are dusty spots, like outside my office.  Good think I have a car was membership.

Absolutly not! KOOL-AID is terrible for your health. From your comment, maybe you do?

Again if you live in a dusty area and seldom drive outside of that area it, hmm is Dusty.

Pls. clarify last sentance.

K&N will allow more dust through that a good paper filter. SWRI ran a test (results link below) that clearly shows K&N below other aftermarket brands.

aemszuroteszt.pdf

Meant to add that the test reports show how the reusable filters get worse over time due to retaining dirt after cleaning. Believe the fine particles lodge in tbe filter material and remain after cleaning.

Air molecules are smaller than dirt molecules.   You can't block more dirt particles and allow more air in at the same time.

Here is your challenge - provide one document from K&N or any scientific test that shows the K&N filters out more dust particles than a paper filter.  

Art, if this directed to me, just the opposite. K&N allow more fine dirt to pass. In the under 100 micron range, the fine stuff that scores cylinder walls and clogs ring groves. Remember the K&N started out as a racing supply filter. In racing, you only need bloick out the larger particles of dirt because the engine is torn down after every race. After every race, engine gets an oil change. Not so in passenger autos, where the crap accumulates.

There is no better air filter than OEM. (Does anyone really believe that the Ford engineers, who are the best in the world, can't design a better filter)? Please.

I had an associate who had worked as an automotive engineer for a major car company. You can't believe how much they know. One afternoon we were working on fastening a part (in a Class A motorhome). He ended up calculating the stress on the tips of the screw threads to determine the correct torque. Just the stress in tbe 1/4 mm at the thread tip. (I was amazed as to how detailed he was).

Art, if this directed to me, just the opposite. K&N allow more fine dirt to pass. In the under 100 micron range, the fine stuff that scores cylinder walls and clogs ring groves. Remember the K&N started out as a racing supply filter. In racing, you only need bloick out the larger particles of dirt because the engine is torn down after every race. After every race, engine gets an oil change. Not so in passenger autos, where the crap accumulates.

There is no better air filter than OEM. (Does anyone really believe that the Ford engineers, who are the best in the world, can't design a better filter)? Please.

I had an associate who had worked as an automotive engineer for a major car company. You can't believe how much they know. One afternoon we were working on fastening a part (in a Class A motorhome). He ended up calculating the stress on the tips of the screw threads to determine the correct torque. Just the stress in tbe 1/4 mm at the thread tip. (I was amazed as to how detailed he was).

No that was not directed at you.  It was directed at Galaxy Dancer.

akirby - You were right about K&N. Got the same response from their tech group. Thanks and convinced. Pardons for being such a problem. Hmm, the power of marketing. Enigma-2 thanks also for your input. You both have been very helpful and I appreciate it. FYI I got the riot act Friday the 13th from my Lincoln dealer when I had a new OEM air filter installed. Quote my tech guy who services our MKX exclusively. "Idiots use H&N filters".

Question:

● What is a good replacement schedule mile wise?

I don't live in a dusty area. Drive less than 10k miles a yr.

My conditions are the same as yours. I change once a year. Takes only minutes and buy off Amazon. I use a Motorcraft FA1884 Air Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00130L816/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FyK5zbYZ6D8TNand ATP Automotive FA-14 Carbon Actidvated Premium Cabin Air Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A6NBO2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-iK5zb1K0KCAR

FYI I put a Label maker label on my air filter box with the date I changed the filter. (I would never remember if I didn't and it peels off easily when I need to change).

I usually change the cabin air filter at the same time.