elijahbird7

How are these Navigation systems updated?

We think the map data will be USB only due to the size, but since we haven’t seen anything one way or the other...... who knows.

The big problem with wi-if updates is that it only seems to do that while the vehicle is running, which isn’t very long at my house. I was hoping it would download updates for at least a few minutes after shutting off depending on battery level.

I get that, and I have always downloaded Sync3 updates to USB and applied them myself.  I have no issue doing that.  I just don't understand why if they can put it on an SD card, they can't just make it available for download as well?  It can't be any different.  This is actually the opposite of almost any software update on other devices, such as cell phones, where the newer systems have access to updates prior to the older systems.  Here, Ford is providing updates to older models well ahead of providing those updates to their newer ones.

Edited by VisionPilot

I would have been surprised if they did that, in all honesty.  It would take a lot of time to download the data via WiFi, which would mean keeping the engine running or battery draining for quite some time.  And, while a lot of us have pretty fast wifi links, many owners will not and keeping account of all that variability would be a problem. 

In an ideal world, data would follow a subscription model with the car updating continuously.  

If I had to guess I’d say it’s pure cost cutting. I’m sure Ford saved a bunch of money by not buying new maps for all the new vehicles. Mark Fields did some crazy stuff the last 3 years. And maybe they cut the developers working on the map updates. Hard to say but it certainly doesn’t make sense from a customer standpoint especially if you’re willing to pay for the updates.

NNG software co. Makes me think they switched map providers.

I looked on their website, Ford and Lincoln are about the only car companys NOT listed as one of their clients. Must have just agreed to work together.

They allow partial updates (just updating what has changed from last update), smaller databases, updates by wireless (reconnects and continues from where it left off), cellphone (I'm guessing bluetooth and USB), and download to jump drive.

Edited by enigma-2

I downloaded Sygic to my iPhone. It is supported by Apple Play, and is updated on a regular basis

Edited by Ninja279

I wonder how Sygic compares to Waze.

Looking at the Sygic website it seems they support iOS only with Sync 2.3. I know Waze is coming to Sync soon and I assume that will be on Android (since both are Google products).

Edited by MKXMark

I mean Waze on Android will be native to Sync 3 the same way Sygic on iOS runs in Sync 3.

They’re adding Waze top applink - has nothing to do with AA or CP.