vttk17a1

Sync 3 Problems in 2016 M.K.X. Potential purchasers beware!

Custom ordered a new loaded 2016 M.K.X. at the end of October and took delivery on Jan 4, 2016.  It was one of the first JOB 2 cars made with SYNC 3.

Navigation unit has been faulting out intermittently ever since first use.  Numerous reboots, software reinstalls and 2 replacements of the original A.P.I.M. have not solved the problem.  

Each time the unit faults out again the first time I use it on a trip.  Also faults on random occasions.  Sometimes center stack controls lock up, sometimes phone use is lost including 911 feature.

The dealer says they have applied all resources available to them.  The only code they ever find is one to replace the A.P.I.M. (which they find only when I bring it in while the fault is actually happening).  The unit automatically resets when the car is turned off and they lose the code.  They cannot duplicate the fault themselves and say they need Lincoln's help.  

Lincoln refuses to do anything or send an engineer without the dealer duplicating the fault.  (Even though I have brought the car to the dealer while the fault has actually been happening twice, and provided pictures of fault screens on other occasions.)

Lincoln just refuses to actually look at the problem.  The dealer states they cannot fix it. Nice warranty.  So much for anyone really living up to the so called "Lincoln Pledge".  Seems a lot more like "We'll honor our warranties if we feel like it and it is not too hard to do."   This is a brand new car.  They should fix it, but refuse so far to even try.

Anyone else having problems with SYNC 3?  Ideas or advice would be appreciated.  Or is the only choice the "Lemon Law" route and filing safety complaints with the NTHSA?

Edited by vttk17a1

Custom ordered a new loaded 2016 M.K.X. at the end of October and took delivery on Jan 4, 2016.  It was one of the first JOB 2 cars made with SYNC 3.

Navigation unit has been faulting out intermittently ever since first use.  Numerous reboots, software reinstalls and 2 replacements of the original A.P.I.M. have not solved the problem.  

Each time the unit faults out again the first time I use it on a trip.  Also faults on random occasions.  Sometimes center stack controls lock up, sometimes phone use is lost including 911 feature.

The dealer says they have applied all resources available to them.  The only code they ever find is one to replace the A.P.I.M. (which they find only when I bring it in while the fault is actually happening).  The unit automatically resets when the car is turned off and they lose the code.  They cannot duplicate the fault themselves and say they need Lincoln's help.  

Lincoln refuses to do anything or send an engineer without the dealer duplicating the fault.  (Even though I have brought the car to the dealer while the fault has actually been happening twice, and provided pictures of fault screens on other occasions.)

Lincoln just refuses to actually look at the problem.  The dealer states they cannot fix it. Nice warranty.  So much for anyone really living up to the so called "Lincoln Pledge".  Seems a lot more like "We'll honor our warranties if we feel like it and it is not too hard to do."   This is a brand new car.  They should fix it, but refuse so far to even try.

Anyone else having problems with SYNC 3?  Ideas or advice would be appreciated.  Or is the only choice the "Lemon Law" route and filing safety complaints with the NTHSA?

Sorry for your troubles. I feel your pain about Lincoln. Been going through hell for 15 months with my mkc and I'm in same boat ... They refuse to actually acknowledge and deny my problem too... Thus their way of avoiding fixing the problem. They basically told me too bad. Feel worse for you, my loaded mkc was (only)around $50, I know the price of your loaded MKX because I intended to buy one. After this treatment no way I invest another dime in Lincoln. Guess the upside for me is I learned before plunking down $65K+ and on a black label too. Now I can take that money to a manufacturer that cares. Exactly, Lincoln pledge my --- Thats a promise for people who don't actually need a problem/defect fixed.

If Lincoln's lame responses to some of these purchaser woes continues as reported, it will be in vivid contrast to some of the responses & personal services being communicated by Ford to folks posting on the F150 forum. Do Lincoln service & management personnel deem themselves not accountable to the buyers? Wake up Dearborn!

I won't even get into my dealer experience. Such a shame, loved the car. Lincoln customer care is useless. Or should I say "customer NOT care" as I call them..they take your money then they don't care... :-).

Sorry again vtk17a1, hopefully they will figure something out to get it resolved for you.

I'm having some issues with my MKX as well, mainly with the audio system/sync 3. I made videos when it happens but it doesn't happen often so I still haven't brought it in yet as I know dealer can't do anything if they can't replicate the issue. It's out if their hands really, they can't go in and fix something if they don't know what's wrong, just know that this is all automakers and not just Lincoln.

I'm having some issues with my MKX as well, mainly with the audio system/sync 3. I made videos when it happens but it doesn't happen often so I still haven't brought it in yet as I know dealer can't do anything if they can't replicate the issue. It's out if their hands really, they can't go in and fix something if they don't know what's wrong, just know that this is all automakers and not just Lincoln.

I haven't had this with any other car/dealer/manufacturer in 10 new car purchases. I have never been treated the way I've been treated ever, there is no excuse. I understand all manufacturer and cars can have issues but in my other experiences the manufacturer and the dealer did NOT deny and blame the customer. I've had issues with brand new cars, and they were quickly addressed/resolved with an apology, this goes for luxury brands and not.

Just to give you a snippet of my "Lincoln experience" the MKC just had a global recall on the reserve package ($7K option)modem that gives you remote app access as most of you know with your MKXs. The recall came out in January. I experienced the problem in July. First, no fix for over 6 months. Then while I spent hours and days on the phone troubleshooting with Lincoln tech and multiple 2 hour round trips to the dealer the Lincoln and the dealer started blaming ME because they couldn't fix their own damn problem! First they said it was my phone, then they said it was my cell service (mind you I used the system perfectly for 5 months the previous winter without a flaw. Then, and this one takes the cake!, the dealer alleged that I purposely logged in to the app (mind you again while they have been working on my car I delete the app off my phone completely)and "corrupted their programming". Are you kidding me. I have a 20+ year career in tech and security. Everyone knows you cannot send any command to the car unless logged in with an owners account that is tied to the VIN in the SIM card of the TCU (modem). It's impossible for me to do what they said but yes they use it as an excuse to not fix my car. And Lincoln does NOTHING. They hide behind their dealers and say "dealers are independent" nothing we can do. Lincoln flat out has not cared one bit about any of my problems from the 2nd day I owned the car and the problems began. Dealer just tried to make us go away. So if you buy a Lincoln know this.

So getting back to the story, flash forward a few months and guess what?!? A modem recall is issued for the problem they blamed me for "corrupting" how low do you get? Really? No apology nothing. Absolutely unbelievable. And I say that is a "snippet" of my experience. The rest is pretty incredulous. I can't wait to tell the whole story start to finish.

Lincoln is not even close to knowing what a luxury brand and service is. So regretting leaving my Audi

Ford/Lincoln has to go by what their dealers tell them and sometimes you get a crappy dealer. That doesn't excuse everything but I've seen Ford bend over backwards to help some owners while others appear to get the shaft. Dealers are independent businesses and Ford has almost no control over them thanks to state franchise laws.

If you're having trouble with one dealer I suggest trying another one if possible.

You can also try @FordService on Twitter or Facebook. Sometimes they can help.

It was mentioned that "I haven't had this with any other car/dealer/manufacturer in 10 new car purchases".

Well, I can tell you that we had a 2014 Infiniti QX60 loaded. The dealer and the factory would not fix our many issues. Infiniti had a standard answer for most problems and it was "That is the way it was designed".

OH, if you were in the back seats you could not open the doors from the inside. They said it was that we did not know how to use the child proof locks. We had to bring this to the dealer several times as each person wanted to be the hero and show everyone else how to make this work. Finally they fixed the problem on both doors but it took many calls by the dealer to Infiniti. How did this ever pass inspection?

It was mentioned that "I haven't had this with any other car/dealer/manufacturer in 10 new car purchases".

Well, I can tell you that we had a 2014 Infiniti QX60 loaded. The dealer and the factory would not fix our many issues. Infiniti had a standard answer for most problems and it was "That is the way it was designed".

OH, if you were in the back seats you could not open the doors from the inside. They said it was that we did not know how to use the child proof locks. We had to bring this to the dealer several times as each person wanted to be the hero and show everyone else how to make this work. Finally they fixed the problem on both doors but it took many calls by the dealer to Infiniti. How did this ever pass inspection?

I didn't mean to imply I felt no other manufacturers have issues but my personal experience with multiple brands has been nothing like this (experience with Lincoln) problems or not. Guess I've been lucky so far on many new car purchases and the manufacturers response to any issues.

You couldn't open the rear doors? And they couldn't fix it? Wow that's a safety issue if the car caught on fire.

Child proof locks :-). I have to admit I got a loaner car once and they had the child locks on and since I never used them or knew about them I thought the doors didn't work :-) My last car (driving a child) was Cadillac SRX and the only feature I knew was the child lock button on the driver door that prevented it from being unlocked and thus opened. On the mkc there's a tab/latch in the door you turn.

Ford/Lincoln has to go by what their dealers tell them and sometimes you get a crappy dealer. That doesn't excuse everything but I've seen Ford bend over backwards to help some owners while others appear to get the shaft. Dealers are independent businesses and Ford has almost no control over them thanks to state franchise laws.

If you're having trouble with one dealer I suggest trying another one if possible.

Thanks appreciate the tips/contact.

My case/problem is complicated to say the least. It's not only the dealer I am having issue with. It's the dealer flat out lying and Lincoln choosing to believe what the dealer is saying so they don't have to repair. I tried contacting ford early on last year. They did not seem interested in helping either. I do plan to blast all social media and forums.

Here's another example...my windshield was full of millions tiny air bubbles impeding my vision whenever sun hit it (delaminating) and I asked my dealer to replace it (the mkc actually has a recall for that too but since my car fell after the build date they deemed affected they denied it). They said send picture. I send a picture they send to Lincoln and they tell Lincoln it's because I have some windshield chips and they deny warranty replacement. . Joke because I'm sitting in a loaner as they tell me this and the loaner windshield has more chips than mine and the glass is still crystal clear.

I call a dealer out of my area without telling Lincoln customer care and referencing my case number and set up appointment. They ask me to send a picture for Lincoln approval. I send the exact same picture I sent to other dealer to see what happens. You guessed it, this dealer sends the picture in and instant approval..because they didn't lie like my dealer and Lincoln didn't know it already had a case/denial. I have a brand new windshield now replaced under warranty because it was actually defective but they tried to deny it. It's one example. I am being treated very "differently" and am fully aware.

Edited by mmoretti

I didn't mean to imply I felt no other manufacturers have issues but my personal experience with multiple brands has been nothing like this (experience with Lincoln) problems or not. Guess I've been lucky so far on many new car purchases and the manufacturers response to any issues.

You couldn't open the rear doors? And they couldn't fix it? Wow that's a safety issue if the car caught on fire.

Child proof locks :-). I have to admit I got a loaner car once and they had the child locks on and since I never used them or knew about them I thought the doors didn't work :-) My last car (driving a child) was Cadillac SRX and the only feature I knew was the child lock button on the driver door that prevented it from being unlocked and thus opened. On the mkc there's a tab/latch in the door you turn.

Yes, we could not believe this on BOTH rear doors! Of course Infiniti and the dealer wanted to show us how the child proof doors worked and could not understand how we could not RTFM! However, as everyone tried to show us what WE were doing wrong, they had to admit that it was not user error!

I also think that some dealers...even Lincoln ones...have more pull or credibility than others.

Edited by PDX97229

Which is why Telsa wants to go another route and control everything 100%.  Let's face it, Telsa is following Apple's lead in totally controlling their ecosystem 100%.  Say what you will about Apple, but I've owned about 12 since 1985 and I still have all but two and they all still work.

I'm betting that Apple will follow Tesla into opting to sell direct to customers too.  Ford does get blamed for a lot of issues that dealers cause - although, let's be clear that there are a lot of good dealers out there.

Quite frankly, I am surprised that SYNC3 is having issues because it was supposed to be leaps and bounds better than 2, etc.  It's still early and they will get it sorted out.  I wish SYNC3 would have been Apple all the way.

No issues for me with sync 3 - it's working great. Then again we've only had it 4 days.....

Yes, we could not believe this on BOTH rear doors! Of course Infiniti and the dealer wanted to show us how the child proof doors worked and could not understand how we could not RTFM! However, as everyone tried to show us what WE were doing wrong, they had to admit that it was not user error!

I also think that some dealers...even Lincoln ones...have more pull or credibility than others.

Omg. Too funny. (Not that you had to go through that but how dumb they must have looked!)

In the mkc forum a person went in for the modem recall and their dealership said they replaced it but never did...it had the same ESN number (unique identifier on a modem on a network) so person says "hey it still doesn't work and the modem # is the same' isn't it supposed to be new?" Their response "it's not supposed to change, it's supposed to be the same number". Omg and these people are working on our tech? LOL. So they bring it back in for them to fix since it obviously still doesn't work and this time they actually do the work and replace the modem and viola a new ESN number. How dumb they must have felt.

Which is why Telsa wants to go another route and control everything 100%.  Let's face it, Telsa is following Apple's lead in totally controlling their ecosystem 100%.  Say what you will about Apple, but I've owned about 12 since 1985 and I still have all but two and they all still work.

I'm betting that Apple will follow Tesla into opting to sell direct to customers too.  Ford does get blamed for a lot of issues that dealers cause - although, let's be clear that there are a lot of good dealers out there.

Quite frankly, I am surprised that SYNC3 is having issues because it was supposed to be leaps and bounds better than 2, etc.  It's still early and they will get it sorted out.  I wish SYNC3 would have been Apple all the way.

Love tesla and apple. spent 20 years using and supporting pcs and Windows but any personal device has been Apple all the way! I still have an original Mac mini going without one flaw.. And a 10 year old MacBook the same. The thought of buying an apple car one day..:-)

Pretty sure Sync 3 is stable at least on the mkc side, no one has spoken of problems. What kind of problems are you guys specifically having with sync/radio.? Vtk17a1 talks about navigation issues but I'm unclear on what he is describing with the "faults" does screen disappear or freeze?

I have a 2015 with the old sync still but I've had a bunch of loaners with sync 3 and it is much much better. Would miss being able to have wallpaper but speed/function is better. from what I read here I think Lincoln is going to allow configuration of the dash in the mkxs(?)which may include putting our own photos. Nothing beats the Audi virtual cockpit though that's one of the coolest things I've seen.

No issues for me with sync 3 - it's working great. Then again we've only had it 4 days.....

Yes sync 3 has been out on the 2016 mkcs awhile now and haven't heard of anyone having problems. From what I know there were very few, if any, hiccups at all with the roll out of sync 3. They are finally getting better. My husband had original sync and that was pretty rough.

Original sync worked fine. It debuted way back in 2007. MyFordTouch OTOH was horrible for the first 2 years or so but I don't want to get into all the reasons why. It looks like they learned their lesson with sync 3.

Original sync worked fine. It debuted way back in 2007. MyFordTouch OTOH was horrible for the first 2 years or so but I don't want to get into all the reasons why. It looks like they learned their lesson with sync 3.

My husbands would freeze constantly. The updates took literally all day at the dealer for him and the dealer would always struggle with failures. He just didn't have good luck at all with his system The versions we have now (he has escape titanium) are much improved and of course so is sync 3 now. Still waiting for Apple car play though. Automatic wifi updates sound nice. Have any come out, has the auto part worked OK if so?

Navigation unit update;

Still in "catch 22" mode between Lincoln and the dealer.  

Dealer says "We have actually witnessed the problem on 2 occasions (freezing of map, Navigation fault screen, lockup of controls, etc. But we cannot duplicate the problem ourselves in the shop.  

Lincoln says, "No duplication, no fix.  

Me: I'm the "monkey in the middle."  

My contention is that manufacturer v. vendor v. dealer issues are not included as a caveat to the warranty on my vehicle.

Please fix my car.   I have clearly illustrated the defect.  It has existed since delivery.  

More mileage on this car has been devoted to trying to troubleshoot the problem than miles that have actually been devoted to personal use.  The dealer has had the car as much as I have.  

Lincoln warrants that their vehicle are free of defects.  They promise to fix any defects found for 4 years or 50,000 miles.  Lincoln is now adding new conditions I have no control over and did not agree to as preconditions for attempting to fix the problem at all.  So what is the real value of their warranty?

I understand the need to be able to say "NO" to those who try to use a warranty as a way to get Lincoln to cover their abuse of a vehicle, but that is not the case here.

The defect has existed since delivery.  7 repair attempts have not fixed the problem.  Lincoln needs to fix the car.  

As far as Sync 3 is concerned, The jury is out on its reliability.  It is too soon to know.  This vehicle was one of the first JOB 2 MKX's built.  If I were Lincoln, I would have engineers looking at it to try to figure out if there is some problem related to how the car was built.

If I were thinking about buying a Lincoln, Lincoln's warranty behavior would give me pause to reconsider the purchase at all. Particularly when it comes to a vehicle containing complex electronics like Sync 3.  

That is just me.

Edited by vttk17a1

My problem is that sometimes the On/Off button for the audio system does not work at all. Made a video of it with my phone. My second issue happens about once or twice a week when I make a lot of stops (5 minutes or so and leave car unlocked). The sound system just goes crazy and buzzes and hisses you gotta turn it all off. But it all goes away the next day. Seems like a software issue to me.

Just don't feel like bringing it in if it can't be replicated. I do understand that if they can't find a problem they can't fix it cause Lincoln won't reimburse the dealer if they don't get the Ok from Lincoln, that's why I made the videos.

vttk17a1,

It is too bad that you are having issues, I have not had any issues with my Sync 3 in my MKX which was made ~2/1/16.

As for Job2 that started at the first of December, so Sync3 was available from first of December on, so "maybe" your is more an individual vehicle issue, hard to say. Maybe compare build dates of other that are having issue????

But from your posting, sounds like your need to change your middle name to "Job" ;)

Edited by punch-card

Thanks for the sympathy.  

Unfortunately, I think you will not get any info from Lincoln about problems that happen to other owners.  Ever.  Car was built 12-15-15 according to ETIS.  Blend # was 000055

Description of how I feel about it:   Jobbed feels about right.

To be continued... 

My problem is that sometimes the On/Off button for the audio system does not work at all. Made a video of it with my phone. My second issue happens about once or twice a week when I make a lot of stops (5 minutes or so and leave car unlocked). The sound system just goes crazy and buzzes and hisses you gotta turn it all off. But it all goes away the next day. Seems like a software issue to me.

Just don't feel like bringing it in if it can't be replicated. I do understand that if they can't find a problem they can't fix it cause Lincoln won't reimburse the dealer if they don't get the Ok from Lincoln, that's why I made the videos.

On the mkc side no one has reported the on off issue but the buzzing/noise from the sound system was I believe it was the thx amplifier. I know MKX us different with revel.

Have you ever tried a master reset of your apim(sync). You do lose navigation routes, Sirius radio alerts, and a few other minor things but it may just be that simple and worth trying (if you haven't already of course)

Thanks for the sympathy.  

Unfortunately, I think you will not get any info from Lincoln about problems that happen to other owners.  Ever.  Car was built 12-15-15 according to ETIS.  Blend # was 000055

Description of how I feel about it:   Jobbed feels about right.

To be continued... 

I wish I had better news to report but my situation has been going on for 15 months right now and you are right Lincoln does not care. Not about the people that put trust and invested in the company / rebuild. They don't care how dealers treat their customers and they don't care directly.

They went from investing all the $$ to bring a customer over from Cadillac and Audi(not to mention the other cars in our immediate families)a customer who loved their car, planned to invest even more in their next model (and black label too $$$) and continue with the brand minimally another 5 years and instead they now have a miserable customer that will not only not continue investing but will now be nothing but negative advertising for them for years to come. Great job Lincoln. Good luck with that rebuild.

And it has nothing to do with the car, it's just a car. I can get over problems with a car if I like it enough It's the personal part of the treatment and understanding their total lack of care in some cases ( not just mine). I understand some people do have good experiences too. Unfortunately for me I have not been one.

Hopefully you will get it resolved quickly in some way and can go on to continue to enjoy the car trouble free. I know it's frustrating but hang in there because it sounds like your problem may eventually get worse and be eventually easier to document and prove so they can replace your APIM unit (sync - someone on mkc forum had that done with a 2016 with sync3 that had their nav freezing too). Good luck. Keep us posted.

Dear MMoretti, 

My concerns about the car and its problems (though significant) are also secondary to my concerns about the behavior of Lincoln itself.  Even verification by their own dealer is insufficient.  Lincoln will even tell you that dealers "front" all warranty work and then only get paid when Lincoln decides to pay.

The malfunction has been presented at the dealership while it is actually occurring on 2 separate occasions.  Photograph have been provided of screens when the unit failed on other occasions.  Their stated reason for failing to repair is that the dealer cannot reproduce that failure.  Since they don't know "why" it happens, they refuse to "fix" it.

Not exactly a situation that inspires confidence in the company or the product.  

In my opinion, either there is a flaw in the Lincoln design (that they cannot cope with) or they they are refusing to replace a malfunctioning system due to "cost" considerations.  

In either case, this is not a positive influence on the future value of this (or any other) Lincoln.

I too fail to understand how Lincoln could spend gobs of money in a "re-branding" attempt only to throw it all away by failing in its promise of customer support in a "nickel and dime" (for them) warranty issue.  I'm sure that their dealers aren't exactly thrilled by how they are being treated either.

Way to make it easy for BMW, Audi, Acura, Lexus, and any other brand competing for this market segment.