Check out the Lincoln Aviator Community Here.

hwitten

Does fuel access door lock?

Salesman says it's locked when car is locked. Is it?

I only tried it when I had the car unlocked during demo so couldn't prove/dis-prove. 

I don't believe so... although I don't think I've ever tried to get gas (open the fuel door) with the car locked.

Locking fuel doors are an 'import thing'.  I've certainly never had a car with that 'feature' or known anyone with a domestic car that had it.

No, the fuel access door does not lock when the car is locked. You can still access the fuel filler pipe by depressing the aft edge of the door whether the car is locked or not.

You're right Adam. Now that you mention it I recall having to 'adjust' to releasing the door when I got my Santa Fe.

Got used to it so took it as 'missing' test driving the MKX :)

On 2015 and prior the fuel door doesn't lock.  On the 2016 models when the car is locked the fuel door will not open. I tried opening the fuel door on a locked car at the dealership. Wouldn't open. This is important for me because of the MKX's capless fuel filler opening. If I can't lock the door then I insist on using a locking gas cap, which won't work with the Ford design.

Your experience at the dealership baffles me. When my 2016 MKX is locked, I have repeatedly opened the fuel access door by simply depressing the aft edge of the access door as instructed in the manual. The door pops open about one inch and then you manually open the door fully to access the fuel filler. It is necessary to manually depress the trailing edge of the door first...you cannot open the door without performing this step first...unless you use something like a crowbar to pry it open.

On 2015 and prior the fuel door doesn't lock.  On the 2016 models when the car is locked the fuel door will not open. I tried opening the fuel door on a locked car at the dealership. Wouldn't open. This is important for me because of the MKX's capless fuel filler opening. If I can't lock the door then I insist on using a locking gas cap, which won't work with the Ford design.

Huh.  I guess I will have to give it another try.  I believe Ford did offer a locking gas cap for the capless system at one point in time.  Google: ford capless fuel filler locking cap and look under Images.

Neither of the Ford & Lincoln parts websites list a plug for the 2015 Edge or 2016 MKX fuel filler although other current Ford/Lincoln vehicles are listed. So, I'm assuming that there is something unique to the current Edge-MKX design that prohibits the fitment of the plug that's available for the other Ford/Lincoln vehicles.

Yes they do sell them for the Ford and Lincoln capless tanks for $25.

http://accessories.lincoln.com/exterior/fuel/locking-fuel-plug.html

Shows that it fits the 2015, but not the 2016 for just the 2016 MKX. Edited by enigma-2

The list of compatible vehicles on the linked Lincoln website does not include the 2016 MKX as inferred in my post above.

If you check the same part number for the 2015 EDGE on the Ford website, it also excludes that vehicle from the compatible vehicle list.

I walked out of the office with a colleague and we were talking as we approached our vehicles so it slipped my mind to check whether the door locks with the vehicle.

Just wondering why you feel the need to have it locked.  Are you paranoid that someone is going to sugar your tank, or is it that you are afraid of someone siphoning your fuel?  I thought most vehicles built within the last couple of decades had baffles in the tanks that prevented siphoning hoses from being inserted.

For me it was just a question because, as mentioned, it seems only imports have a locking access door and I guess since I currently drive an import and got used to it I found it missing and since salesperson said it locks.... had to ask :)

Regarding syphoning... much more high tech these days. Seems battery operated drills have replaced the syphoning hose :(

With gas prices so slow you have to be really hard up needing to steal gas let a lone a drill with a pump attached.
I was told by the dealer the way they build the Ford/Lincoln gas fill it is almost impossible to easily get any gas out.

That is why they added a special funnel in the trunk if you ever have to fill with a plastic can.

More less worried someone putting sugar in the gas tank, lol.

I do not like fumbling with a much smaller fuel cap key trying to open the locking gas cap.Thanks for that idea of the lock on outside. My lock and key guy can add this task to his list for upgrading my truck.But all in vain and i need to contact to Locksmith for the problem.

Confirmed that it DOES NOT lock when car is locked. I tried when I didn't have key in pocket.

Good for you doing your own research. Sales men will lie and tell you things that don't apply to get the sale. Never trust anything they tell you. Do your research and go to the dealership fully prepared.

Drove an xt5, casually ask the salesmen while test driving what people are getting for gas mileage. He told me 43mpg. I ask him to justify it. He lied more. I can only justify his actions by believing that consumers have no clue and he gets away with it

If any sales person told me that an xt5 got 43 mpg, I would assume that he was grossly ignorant of his product (and tell him so while pointing out the 19/27 EPA figures on the Monroney sticker) OR, I would suggest to him that assuming my gullibility was very presumptive and offending. I would follow that up with an email to the sales manager...you would be doing the dealer's management team a favor.

Locking fuel doors/caps only slow someone down and not by that much even. I am a Locksmith and i can get past a locking fuel door and a locking cap in under a minute with only a couple of tools.

Putting sugar in the gas tank may block the engine so don't let it happen again and hire a locksmith to unlock the gas tank lock.

On 2/1/2016 at 8:17 PM, Southerngravy said:

More less worried someone putting sugar in the gas tank, lol.

I did a lot of bad thing in my life which I regret but the "sugar thing" in the tank never cross my mind as its a myth...  😀 https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/sugar-in-gas-tank.htm