Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2016 Lincoln MKX Excessive Wind Noise

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

2015 Lincoln MKS,

So a very quiet vehicle in its own right.  Next time I go for a highway drive I will use an app I have on my iPhone called Decibel DB (or something like that) and see what my sound levels are.  Maybe others can do the same and report back their noise level readouts.

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   bw0821

bw0821

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Peters, Missouri
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX, 2016 MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Corvette GS
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

I just got back (literally) from a 1700 mile round trip from the St. Louis Area to Pensacola, Florida and back.  Car ran beautifully and was very quiet.  No excessive wind or tire noise even in rain and wind this morning leaving Pensacola.  We love the car. 

It is sure a lot quieter than my 2014 Explorer the MKX replaced.

#23 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:09 PM

I recently completed a left coast version of a similar trip...averaged 21.69 MPG (pen & paper calculations) with a 2.7 running 87 octane fuel at 70-80 MPH on freeways and ~ 1/3 of the mileage in suburban locales. After several hand wash inspections for misaligned panel seams, paint flaws, fit-n-finish issues, bumper-to-bumper/under hood/interior inspections, and electronics trials, it appears that my MKX was assembled without issues...a huge 'WHEW' as I anticipated some assembly problems. The only assembly issue was that I needed to adjust the four rubber bumpers under the hood leading edge and lubricate the hood latch (Vaseline) to permit properly aligned hood closure. Also, I dressed up some under hood wire harness taping with electricians tape to tidy up some sloppy appearances. 

I couldn't be more pleased with the MKX 'land yacht' quietness & comfort and performance-on-tap offered by the 2.7. Lincoln has a winner with the MKX.

• Adam likes this

#24 OFFLINE   bw0821

bw0821

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSt. Peters, Missouri
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX, 2016 MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Corvette GS

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:07 AM

I recently completed a left coast version of a similar trip...averaged 21.69 MPG (pen & paper calculations) with a 2.7 running 87 octane fuel at 70-80 MPH on freeways and ~ 1/3 of the mileage in suburban locales. After several hand wash inspections for misaligned panel seams, paint flaws, fit-n-finish issues, bumper-to-bumper/under hood/interior inspections, and electronics trials, it appears that my MKX was assembled without issues...a huge 'WHEW' as I anticipated some assembly problems. The only assembly issue was that I needed to adjust the four rubber bumpers under the hood leading edge and lubricate the hood latch (Vaseline) to permit properly aligned hood closure. Also, I dressed up some under hood wire harness taping with electricians tape to tidy up some sloppy appearances. 

I couldn't be more pleased with the MKX 'land yacht' quietness & comfort and performance-on-tap offered by the 2.7. Lincoln has a winner with the MKX.

I am with you there.  Glad to hear your's is pretty much flawless.

I have no fit/finish issues on the exterior.  Some minor issues in the interior which the dealer took care of immediately.  I have the 3.7 and averaged 22.5 for the entire trip including in-city driving in Pensacola, etc.  I am more than happy with the car so far.  

Only hiccup I have currently is the memory seat won't go back into position.  I and the dealer tech have worked on it and we can't get it to work with the easy exit/entry turned on. I think it is a seat module issue in that it isn't talking to the BCM.  It might work for a day or so then nada.

The mirrors and steering wheel all return to the memory position but not the seat.  It's going in on Monday for them to work that issue.  Other than that, all else is good.

#25 OFFLINE   gstein

gstein

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:MKX 2016
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2014

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

Do you still hear it when you turn on the active noise reduction?
Does it sold like it's coming from the antenna (or in that general a

... and how do you turn the noise reduction on?

#26 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

... and how do you turn the noise reduction on?

You don't.  It's on all the time.

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#27 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

Starting the engine works.

#28 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:10 PM

You don't. It's on all the time.

I thought it only operated when the radio was on? (I haven't ridden in a 15 or 16 so I didn't know it works with radio off).

#29 OFFLINE   m39976

m39976

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSouth Haven
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

There is indeed a design flaw by Lincoln. The windshield pillar molding is the issue. My dealer taped off the giant opening and the noise went away. The wind noise is at 60 mph+ and very bad when it's windy.

There are 2 pictures I'm posting, 1 of the 16 MKX pillar molding and 1 from a newer Mercedes pillar molding. You can see Mercedes has the right idea with a smooth windshield pillar molding. The MKX is a C-channel catch all for wind. (It's especially bad in cross winds) This isn't Mercedes rocket science because the 2015 MKX was smooth without noise.

We made Lincoln aware of this and they claim to be working on it. (yeah right) All owners should have dealers open a complaint with Lincoln to push them for a fix.

This was a terrible job by the Lincoln engineers who designed a $61,000 luxury car.

Attached Files

Edited by m39976, 30 December 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   m39976

m39976

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSouth Haven

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:15 AM

A closer shot.

Attached Files

#31 OFFLINE   IggyAZ

IggyAZ

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

Windshield Bezel Frame

So to verify what  see in the pictures.

One shows a large gap between the windshield and plastic and the other shows its flush with the window.

I will have to check mine out when I take delivery next week.

Thanks

It's Here- 2016 MKX with Sync 3

#32 OFFLINE   m39976

m39976

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSouth Haven

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

Windshield Bezel Frame

So to verify what  see in the pictures.

One shows a large gap between the windshield and plastic and the other shows its flush with the window.

I will have to check mine out when I take delivery next week.

Thanks

I've looked at several and they're all the same so far.

#33 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:30 PM

Do you still hear it when you turn on the active noise reduction?
Does it sold like it's coming from the antenna (or in that general area?)

Can you turn on/off noise cancellation? If so how?

#34 OFFLINE   IggyAZ

IggyAZ

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:54 PM

No you can NOT turn off the noise cancellation system. It runs when the engine starts and shuts off when you shut the engine off.

It's Here- 2016 MKX with Sync 3

#35 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

No you can NOT turn off the noise cancellation system. It runs when the engine starts and shuts off when you shut the engine off.

Can it be turned off using the radio diagnostics? I know this is available on others cars.
With the Sony radio you can trigger diagnostics by removing any CD or DVD, put radio in am/fm, press the eject button and then immediately press and hold the right button on the center steering wheel (hold both for 10-12 seconds), screen will then go blank and MFT will enter speaker testing. Stop the speaker test before it completes on touch screen and search for the ANC toggle (if Ford did indeed option access).

#36 OFFLINE   simon562

simon562

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

There is indeed a design flaw by Lincoln. The windshield pillar molding is the issue. My dealer taped off the giant opening and the noise went away. The wind noise is at 60 mph+ and very bad when it's windy.

There are 2 pictures I'm posting, 1 of the 16 MKX pillar molding and 1 from a newer Mercedes pillar molding. You can see Mercedes has the right idea with a smooth windshield pillar molding. The MKX is a C-channel catch all for wind. (It's especially bad in cross winds) This isn't Mercedes rocket science because the 2015 MKX was smooth without noise.

We made Lincoln aware of this and they claim to be working on it. (yeah right) All owners should have dealers open a complaint with Lincoln to push them for a fix.

This was a terrible job by the Lincoln engineers who designed a $61,000 luxury car.

Wow. OP here. I hadn't checked back in a while. I guess I'm glad it wasn't just me. The noise continues to drive me crazy. I hope they are looking for a solution. Very nice car. But, the wind noise ruins the experience for me.

#37 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:09 PM

Simon...I don't recall if the question of whether the reported noise is related to the pano sunroof or not. It appears that those without pano roof are not reporting noise issues and the roof rails don't seem to be a causal agent either. However, some owners with the pano roof seem to be uncomfortable with noise, especially when the roof is open. Does your X have the sunroof? What in your opinion is the bottom line to this issue.? The majority of X owners don't seem to identify with the noise issue.

#38 OFFLINE   Jeff909

Jeff909

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Black Label

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:40 PM

I have the sun roof and the noise is bad.

Wind noise coming from the drivers door over 70 MPH is very very loud.   Will be taking it in to get looked at, but was waiting a few more days to make sure nothing else odd pops up before making the appointment.

Would be curious to how difficult the repairs will be, and if anyone has successfully had their dealer fix it.  

#39 OFFLINE   simon562

simon562

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

I do have the panoramic sun roof. I really don't know what is causing the noise. I am very interested in M39976's post saying that the noise went away win the windshield pillar molding was taped up. I had it at the dealer for 5 days and they acknowledged that the wind noise was not normal. But, they had no fix. I'm thinking of taking to a different dealer.

I've also noticed that the wind noise starts at 45 mph from the passenger side. And once it gets to 60 MPH the noise gets much louder and seems like it's coming from the center of the windshield. But, maybe it's really coming from the passenger side and it's just harder to identify the exact location as speed increases.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I went to another dealer to drive another car myself. It also had the wind noise. The sales rep (who may or may not know what he was talking about) mentioned the panoramic sun roof as an issue. I have not driven one without the sun roof to see for myself.

#40 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

I would bet one month of my Social Security ($239) that the excessive wind noise will be found exclusive to the pano roof. Owners of Edges and F150s are complaining similarly...the latter reporting additional wind leaks around misaligned doors.

Good luck...keep us posted.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·