Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2016 Lincoln MKX Excessive Wind Noise

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   simon562

simon562

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

I'm surprised I am the first to post about this. Took delivery of the vehicle a couple of weeks ago. The first time I hit 60 MPH I thought my windows weren't closed due to the wind noise I was hearing. There is a significant amount of wind noise coming from the center of the windshield, as well as the passenger side door. Took the car to the dealer. After 5 days they came back and acknowledged there is excessive wind noise. They also said that they drove two other brand new vehicles and noticed the same noise. They believe this will need to be fixed. But, there is no current fix. Fortunately, the Revel sound system is awesome and drowns out the noise. However, when I am on the phone, listening to AM radio or just want silence, the noise is enough to ruin the driving experience.

I can't believe a car that is marketed around luxury and quietness has this major flaw. I plan to go to another dealer and drive a car for myself to see if this issue truly exists in all the new MKXs.

Is anyone else having this issue?

• lincolnX likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:17 AM

I hear a very _slight_ amount of wind whistle at freeway speeds, but it's not something I would consider obtrusive.  Have you checked all of your exterior trim pieces, mirror attachments, underbody panels, etc.?  Do you have the 3.7 or the 2.7?  Roof rails?

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#3 OFFLINE   simon562

simon562

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:19 PM

2.7 with no roof rails.

Supposedly, the dealer sealed everything with tape and still heard the noise.

#4 OFFLINE   Kerry P

Kerry P

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Raptor
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:58 PM

Very strange, we have minimal wind noise, much less than our previous rides.

#5 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:03 PM

60 series 18" tire road noise is more intrusive than wind noise in our MKX.

#6 OFFLINE   simon562

simon562

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:23 AM

It's good to hear others are not having the issue and makes me more skeptical about the dealer saying they all have the same issue. Still trying to get out to another dealer to test drive and see (hear) for myself.

#7 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Current Vehicle:ML 350

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:17 PM

This could be a deal breaker.  I wear hearing aids and once in a while I take them out and hear no noise no matter what.  But most of the time I wear them while driving and as anyone who does can tell you, wind noise is amplified and becomes much worse than for those with normal hearing.  In some cases it can actually make hearing your passengers impossible.  In 2012 I chose a Mercedes ML350 for this very reason - super quiet even at highway speed.  I thought the MKX was suppose to be one of the quietest of all SUVs because of advance windows and sound insulation.  I will be following this thread closely to see what the op discovers and if this is a common problem.

#8 OFFLINE   Rick65inlosangeles

Rick65inlosangeles

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX, 1986 Lincoln Mark VII, 1971 Lincoln Mark III, 1968 Mercury Park Lane Brougham

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

This really surprises me if anything I’m shocked to hear this.  Mine build 7-26 with the Vin ending 30017, 3.7, 2x2, Reserve package.  My biggest complaint isn’t about wind noise is about the amount of road noise that the low profile tires seem to generate.  You would think that Lincoln would have seen this problem in the development stage of the vehicle and taken care of it with additional insulation throughout the floor pan to stop the noise from being transferred to the passenger compartment. I feel they did their homework in the outside wind noise and other noises with the laminated front door glass and with the noise canceling feature of the audio system.  So far I’ve found three defects that Lincoln needs to correct, the a pillar trim do have a bulge, the passenger door lower cladding is black with the others more of a dark gray, there’s some small chips on the edge of the wood on the console, plus I notice that when you open the rear hatch there’s a popping sound like the lock is out of alignment with the hatch.

I guess to be safe is not to order a vehicle until you’ve had a chance to drive a demonstrator to see if you actually like the vehicle.   We early customers that purchased the '16 MKX are the guinea pigs.

Edited by Rick65inlosangeles, 29 October 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   Clement Tse

Clement Tse

MKX Member

• MKX Facebook Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

I don't notice any excessive wind noise from the windshield, do notice the noise from the 21" low profile tires but drummed out by the 19 speaker Revel Ultima Speaker so I may be deaf and thus not a good judge for this. Early adopters... what can you do?  I go through this with my iphone every 6 months! 

#10 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:26 AM

Rick, are the roads in your area predominantly concrete?

I notice a significant increase in tire noise when driving over concrete bridge decks, but they are generally quiet over our other roads which are all asphalt.

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#11 OFFLINE   Rick65inlosangeles

Rick65inlosangeles

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX, 1986 Lincoln Mark VII, 1971 Lincoln Mark III, 1968 Mercury Park Lane Brougham

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:42 PM

Rick, are the roads in your area predominantly concrete?

I notice a significant increase in tire noise when driving over concrete bridge decks, but they are generally quiet over our other roads which are all asphalt.

As an auto enthusiast since I was a pre-teen, I realized in most of the family cross country trips that the sound of riding on asphalt was always quieter than a concrete road.   Here in Los Angeles traveling on the concrete 105 freeway from LAX (which it elevated over Imperial Hwy) the road noise is almost deafening.  Certainty not acceptable for a vehicle costing over fifty thousand dollars.

#12 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

Do you still hear it when you turn on the active noise reduction?
Does it sold like it's coming from the antenna (or in that general area?)

#13 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

Same here, but with the tires I'm running (Bridgestone), most cement roads are not that bad. However, the ones with groves etched in them are much more annoying. Tires have everything to do with road noise, becoming more evident as they accumulate a few thousand miles. Any tire gets louder as the tread wears.

#14 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:27 PM

Seen in an Explorer forum where there were windshield wind noise problems. Dealer ended up replacing windshield A pillars gaskets, said oem gaskets were too light and flexible, caused them to lift and allow wind to get underneath and cause noise at speed. (Not saying your problem, just came up before).

#15 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:58 PM

enigma...the antenna complex on the 2016 MKX is located in the hatch spoiler bulge. That is a very aerodynamic structure that would be unlikely to create any issues.

#16 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:17 PM

enigma...the antenna complex on the 2016 MKX is located in the hatch spoiler bulge. That is a very aerodynamic structure that would be unlikely to create any issues.

Never noticed that. (I see now that rhey changef it in 15). So, I would assume that the only thing left is the windshield gasket. I think if it were my car, I would try playing with the gasket to see if it could be ""massaged" into forming a more perfect seal.

#17 OFFLINE   simon562

simon562

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

I was finally able to get to another dealer and drive a different car myself. The wind noise exists on that car as well. The dealer sales person agreed it was excessive and thinks it has to do with the panoramic sunroof. As I said before, the Revel audio drowns it out. But, when on the phone, it's extremely annoying and distracting.

I do hear the tire noise as well as others have mentioned. But, the constant sound of the tires really doesn't bother me. It's the fluctuating sound of the wind that drives me crazy.

#18 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:38 PM

With respect to wind noise, my MKX is silent at speeds up to 90+ MPH (haven't exceed that...don't expect to do so again) with roof rails but no sunroof. The Michelin 18" 60 series LTX tires offer comfortable riding with no harshness at 35-36 psi, but IMO the MKX doesn't seem to muffle road noise as well as I expected and is on par with the spouse's  2010 Fusion with sport suspension & 18" 40 series OEM Goodyear rubber. In that respect, the MKX is disappointing.

• Southerngravy likes this

#19 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:40 AM

I was finally able to get to another dealer and drive a different car myself. The wind noise exists on that car as well. The dealer sales person agreed it was excessive and thinks it has to do with the panoramic sunroof. As I said before, the Revel audio drowns it out. But, when on the phone, it's extremely annoying and distracting.

I do hear the tire noise as well as others have mentioned. But, the constant sound of the tires really doesn't bother me. It's the fluctuating sound of the wind that drives me crazy.

Just out of curiosity, what did you drive before the MKX?  I'm assuming it wasn't a Honda.

#20 OFFLINE   simon562

simon562

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

Just out of curiosity, what did you drive before the MKX?  I'm assuming it wasn't a Honda.

2015 Lincoln MKS,

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·