Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adaptive LED headlights conversion

Adaptive LED headlights conversion headlamps assembly software update service mod

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Conversion to LED Headlights (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you do it?

1. Yes (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. No (9 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

3. Maybe (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   Rualnys

Rualnys

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Current Vehicle:MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2016-2018

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

It appears that the Luxury Package is kind of a bargain after all. For the price of $4k you also get the Revel Ultima, which is a crazy good audio sys and the knobs for volume and tune are quite luxurious too.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

These lights are as basic as leds get there is no development cost that justifies the price. Look at bmw merc led lights to see what good leds do. My wife's Murano has leds so does the Hyundai Tuscon. What makes Lincoln special is just the look nothing else.
  • Rualnys likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:00 PM

FWTW I believe I read that the ‘19 Nautilus will come standard with LED headlights. Kind of a moot point imho.
  • Rualnys likes this

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#24 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

It appears that the Luxury Package is kind of a bargain after all. For the price of $4k you also get the Revel Ultima, which is a crazy good audio sys and the knobs for volume and tune are quite luxurious too.

Yea, but, my knobs are bigger that your knobs. Evil grin.

#25 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

It’s completely correct and accurate. There are some LEDs elements that shine to the left and some that shine to the right and the rest shine straight ahead. As you turn the wheel the appropriate right or left LEDs should light up giving the exact same affect as the HIDs that swivel. And I don’t think a driveway test is accurate - they may only work when the vehicle is moving.

This is simply not true, with all due respect. If the LEDs are "adaptive" the effect is negligible at best. It's nothing like actual adaptive lights that swivel around corners. I've had those kind of lights and the Fords are not even in the same league.

In guessing that you don't have the LEDs, correct?

That's not to say they're not fine, they're just not really adaptive.

I'm ok with the headlights on my MKX. I just think the advertising is misleading.

Edited by walkabout, 15 January 2018 - 02:03 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:05 AM

These lights are as basic as leds get there is no development cost that justifies the price. Look at bmw merc led lights to see what good leds do. My wife's Murano has leds so does the Hyundai Tuscon. What makes Lincoln special is just the look nothing else.

The lights are ok. They should just be advertised as "fixed."

#27 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

Of course the lights themselves are fixed. But the light output moves just like the adaptive HIDs.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=FyQIODWreik

#28 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

Maybe there is a misunderstanding of how they work. Picture 4 lamps in each headlamp assembly. 2 point forward (high and low beam), 1 points left and 1 points right. Whey you turn left the element pointing left is illuminated providing more light to the left. Same for the right. It’s exactly the same effect as the swiveling HIDs just accomplished in a completely different manner. And it wouldn’t be as noticeable.

Honestly I have the adaptive HIDs and 90% of the time I don’t even notice them. And with the LEDs being fixed there is no need for a driveway test as noted previously.

#29 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Of course the lights themselves are fixed. But the light output moves just like the adaptive HIDs.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=FyQIODWreik

I couldn't understand what they guys was saying but I think i heard blitzkrieg and Warsaw.

Anyways, I do agree I think with akriby that they leds turn on and off, the video however of a fusion/mondeo with their LED lights are much more advanced for some reason then Lincolns in that they actually do swivel and also adapt to the traffic speed etc.

#30 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Just to be clear what I'm arguing, my contention is that the fixed LEDs don't have an effect that is anything close to the way "adaptive" lights typically work. I've had adaptive HIDs on two vehicles, a M-B sedan and a 3 series wagon. It wasn't highly noticeable but if you were looking, the effect was clearly there.  Also, if you stood in the driveway, and pulled the wheel hard to one side or the other, you could see the change.  It did make a difference coming around corners, although I never felt that it was a big deal.  

With the adaptive LEDs, there is no change whatsoever.  I'm saying none.  Zero. Zilch. Zippo.

Go around a corner, nothing happens.  Pull your wheel hard in the driveway or while stopped at a light, nothing happens.  There is no "adaptive" quality whatsoever to the LEDs and like the air conditioned seats and the obstacle sensors on the sides of the cars, its another Ford feature that simply doesn't work well enough to be even modestly useful. It borders on false advertising, in fact. 

I'm staring to think that the poor implementation of SOME of the electronics is another Achilles heal to the car (along with the meh interior fit and finish). The LEDs, cooled seats, and obstacle detectors all leave a lot to be desired. Almost all the other features (BLIS, rear cross traffice sensor, Sync 3) are fantastic. So, If I lease another (as I'm leaning toward doing), I'll be careful about checking the right  features on the option sheet. 

• VisionPilot likes this

#31 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

Either yours are turned off (did you double check the menu?) or they’re broken or they only work at speed, not in the driveway. Perhaps someone else with the adaptive LEDs can comment on their experience with them at speed.

#32 OFFLINE   mosh00

mosh00

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationIowa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

Either yours are turned off (did you double check the menu?) or they’re broken or they only work at speed, not in the driveway. Perhaps someone else with the adaptive LEDs can comment on their experience with them at speed.

I have the LED lights as part of the luxury package and as walkabout stated, I see absolutely no adaptiveness with the LEDs.  They don't change at all.  Nothing like the Youtube video that was posted earlier today.  The right LED headlight puts out more light to the side than the left LED headlight.  I assume that is for lighting up the shoulder and ditch.  That light pattern never changes.  And of course there is the auto dimming for the high beams.  That's it.  

You would think that if the LEDs were truly adaptive, Ford/Lincoln would have put out a promotional video on the MKX highlighting and promoting this feature.  They didn't.  Just a vauge mention of the LEDs being adaptive.

With that said, I am very happy with the luxury package and would order it again.  I love the Revel Ultima sound system and the look of the LEDs.

Mike

Edited by mosh00, 15 January 2018 - 10:05 PM.

• VisionPilot likes this

2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

2.7L EcoBoost - AWD - White Platinum Metallic (Exterior) - Hazelnut (Interior) - Luxury Package - Driver Assistance Package - Technology Package - Climate Package - Cargo Utility Package - 22-Way Adjustable Seats - Trailer Tow Package - Adaptive Steering - Inflatable Rear-Seat Belts - Enhanced Security Package - 21" Premium Painted Aluminum Rims

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

#33 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

The LEDs are not adaptive - they're fixed. That was a bit of a fib by ford marketing.

^^^This.  At first, I thought that the adaptive functionality in my LED's was manifested by different side LED segments illuminating based on whether the steering wheel was turned or not.  I have since come to the conclusion that nothing happens....

#34 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

It’s completely correct and accurate. There are some LEDs elements that shine to the left and some that shine to the right and the rest shine straight ahead. As you turn the wheel the appropriate right or left LEDs should light up giving the exact same affect as the HIDs that swivel. And I don’t think a driveway test is accurate - they may only work when the vehicle is moving.

"Should", but they don't.  I have done numerous tests to determine if there is any change whatsoever, and there is no change in the LED segment illumination based on which direction I am turning my steering wheel.

#35 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

"Should", but they don't.  I have done numerous tests to determine if there is any change whatsoever, and there is no change in the LED segment illumination based on which direction I am turning my steering wheel.

At speed or sitting in the driveway? I’m thinking they may not work unless the vehicle is moving which makes it hard to detect.

I agree if they do nothing then it’s at best misleading and maybe false advertising. I just find it hard to believe they don’t work as advertised - the concept is really simple.

#36 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

At speed or sitting in the driveway? I’m thinking they may not work unless the vehicle is moving which makes it hard to detect.

I agree if they do nothing then it’s at best misleading and maybe false advertising. I just find it hard to believe they don’t work as advertised - the concept is really simple.

Both sitting and moving.  Along with watching the ground very closely to see if there was any detectable side illumination through curves, I also followed a vehicle, watching the reflection off the rear of that car.  Nothing... nada... zilch.

#37 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

I'm glad that others are confirming.

And yes I have the menu item checked.
  • VisionPilot likes this

#38 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

If this is the case, has anybody contacted ford about the obvious mistake and gotten some soft of adjustment.  If you all are correct then the is no adjustment adaptability or otherwise to the lights other then they are led.

#39 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

There were reports on this website by a fellow who had several kease payments refunded as a result.

#40 OFFLINE   wbferrara

wbferrara

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:MKX 2018
  • My MKX's Year:2016-2018

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

I have a Reserve with all the bells and whistles but can’t find any menu items other than auto high beams. Where is that option lurking?

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Adaptive, LED, headlights, conversion, headlamps, assembly, software, update, service, mod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·