Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Unreliable Mapping and POI Determination

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dwstewart3

dwstewart3

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

I leased a 2017 MKX Reserve in May 2017, and have encountered numerous issues with the navigation system that leave me still using my phone with Google Maps.  I'm curious if others have had the same issues.

1. Map version is "NA 1 15", which I believe means North America January 2015.  Three year old maps explain some of my problems.  But why would Lincoln (and Ford, since the same is true of my 2017 Mustang) deliver cars with 3 year old maps?

2. Navigation attempts to route me on roads that no longer exist.  See # 1.

3. Navigation preferences are set to "always fastest route", yet it often routes me on what Google Maps offers as the slowest route.

4. When searching for a POI, after stating the city, then the POI, Sync 3 will offer me POIs in different cities.  The first time I used this feature, I entered the city and POI, and it routed me to that POI in a different city without even telling me.  Instead, it kept telling me to make a U-turn.  After 20 minutes of that, I finally looked at the turn-by-turn list and realized what it had done.  I was flabbergasted.  I called the concierge and spent 30 minutes on the phone with them, and was finally told there was a recall on my vehicle because of a problem where Sync 3 won'te update maps.  I took the car in for the recall, only to find there was no recall.  The dealer reset my Sync 3 system and found nothing wrong.  When I talked to a "Sync expert" who works with my dealer, he insisted that the POI owner must not have paid to be listed.  I don't know why a POI owner would pay to list in one city but not another, but perhaps that's true.  But when I entered the street address for the POI, navigation still could not find it.  See # 1.

5. Sync 3 recently updated to version 2.3 in November 2017.  The "Sync expert" I talked to said that a map update should closely follow.  I have not seen it, yet.  Has anyone else updated to something newer than "NA 1 15"?

6. Speed limit information is incorrect on many roads.  See # 1.  In West Texas where I didn't see a road sign for miles, I got a warning from a very nice State Policeman for doing the speed limit that my Lincoln gave me, when the actual speed limit was lower.

It is ridiculous that I paid a huge amount of money for this navigation system, but I still have to use my phone to navigate.  And to have such an unreliable POI search feature - why ask what city if you are going to list every similar POI in the region and make me select it from a list, or worse, yet, list every POI EXCEPT the one I am asking for?  Or even worse, yet, just route me to another city entirely without even telling me?  This frustration has really soured our otherwise mostly positive experience with this vehicle.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:34 PM

1. Map version is "NA 1 15", which I believe means North America January 2015. Three year old maps explain some of my problems. But why would Lincoln (and Ford, since the same is true of my 2017 Mustang) deliver cars with 3 year old maps?

I was reading in the Escape forum where they had the same questions. The 2017 "may" have been built in 2016, and used the 2015 maps as they were the only ones available for Sync 3. (I thing the Jan 2015 version is still the only one available, still).

2. Navigation attempts to route me on roads that no longer exist. See # 1.

Outdated maps. We all have that problem. Not just FoMoCo, everone. I usually flip on Google maps anytime I'm not certain of an rural area or strange city. Google is way better, but not available in the car system, so ...

3. Navigation preferences are set to "always fastest route", yet it often routes me on what Google Maps offers as the slowest route.

Actually there very well may be a good explanation for this. There is a setting in the "settings" menu that overrides your choice in "destination". It has three settings, "shortest", "fasest" and "eco". It your system is set to always use something other than "shortest", such as "eco", it will ignor destinations setting and choose that.

4. When searching for a POI, after stating the city, then the POI, Sync 3 will offer me POIs in different cities. The first time I used this feature, I entered the city and POI, and it routed me to that POI in a different city without even telling me.

Couple of possibilities. One is the maps could not find the POI in the chosen city as the street wasnt in the map database, or, less likely, but possible, the POI in the other city was closer. Other than that, who knows?

5. Sync 3 recently updated to version 2.3 in November 2017. The "Sync expert" I talked to said that a map update should closely follow. I have not seen it, yet. Has anyone else updated to something newer than "NA 1 15"?

Nothing is listed for the 2017 yet.

6. Speed limit information is incorrect on many roads. See # 1. In West Texas where I didn't see a road sign for miles, I got a warning from a very nice State Policeman for doing the speed limit that my Lincoln gave me, when the actual speed limit was lower.

Speed limit data is outdated because the map database is outdated. It's always the drivers responsibility to know what's right and wrong. My Radar Detector's speed limit database is right most of the time, but not always. (Damn nice of the cop to let you off with warning; by the way. Especially out in West Texas.)

Hopefully the database will finally get updated next year. They usually come out in January if I remember correctly. (Just don't expect it to be dead on either.)
Something all drivers have to live with.

(As I wrote earlier, when in doubt, flip on Google maps and be certain).

#3 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

Car mapping systems are useless unless connected to services like google and are expired technology. Services like Android auto or car play are the best option for this issue. At no point should anybody ever hope wish plan or otherwise have the information be updated timely and completely. Usually when an update does come through it's usually already 6 months behind.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·