Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Android Auto / CarPlay Phone Tethering Options?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L AWD
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

Does anyone have any creative solutions for neatly tethering a phone when using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?

I made the switch from Apple (CarPlay) to Android (Auto), which enables use of the Waze navigation app, among other things.

My phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8) is on a Steelie magnetic phone holder mounted on the plastic trim above the left center vent.  (By the way, neither the Note 8 nor my previous iPhone will fit into the front console storage compartment.)

For those who don't know, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay do not work wirelessly, using Bluetooth, etc.  Both require the phone to be tethered via charging cable (preferably an OEM cable) to the USB port. 

So what I end up with is the phone's charging cable running into the front console storage compartment USB.  Also, when tethering to the USB, the lid of the storage compartment can't fully close.

Not the end of the world, but certainly unsightly... I don't recall this issue being discussed on our forum before.

Am I missing the obvious on how to tether?  Hoping someone has a creative solution...

Merry Christmas to all!

Timmer

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:38 PM

I use flat USB c which allows me to close the lid. I think there is a pic of it somewhere here.

http://lincolnmkxfor...t/?fromsearch=1

Edited by thisguy159, 14 December 2017 - 05:42 PM.

• Timmer likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:28 AM

I use flat USB c which allows me to close the lid. I think there is a pic of it somewhere here.

http://lincolnmkxfor...t/?fromsearch=1

Hmmm... I'm thinking a 1/2-inch drill bit might do the trick...  A small hole out in the rear of the compartment to feed the power cable through.

Maybe I could patent this idea and sell it back to Lincoln!  

Or not. Probably too simple of a solution...

#4 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:47 AM

The size of the note is going to complicate things. I love mine but it's not a small phone.

#5 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:42 AM

The phone is the picture is bigger then the note

#6 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

So...

This morning I spoke to the Lincoln service tech at my dealership on several MKX matters, including my tethering dilemma.

He thought that while Apple devices do need to be USB tethered to use CarPlay, Android devices could connect and enable Android Auto wirelessly using bluetooth.

If Android Auto works wirelessly it's news to me.  I know with certainty that iPhones must be tethered to the front USB for CarPlay to work.

The service tech is going to check on this and get back to me.  But I'm betting I'll get the correct answer faster here on our forum...

Timmer

#7 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

The size of the note is going to complicate things. I love mine but it's not a small phone.

Hi Walkabout,

The phone size isn't an issue other than it won't fit inside the front compartment.  I want it in its dashboard phone holder regardless.

What I'm trying to clean up is having to have the phone cable running out of the front compartment.  The other day I forgot about the cord being there, reached over to get something and yanked the phone right out of the holder...

In the big scheme of things this is a minor annoyance.  Maybe I'll just have to get used to it...  :-))

Timmer

#8 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

So...

This morning I spoke to the Lincoln service tech at my dealership on several MKX matters, including my tethering dilemma.

He thought that while Apple devices do need to be USB tethered to use CarPlay, Android devices could connect and enable Android Auto wirelessly using bluetooth.

If Android Auto works wirelessly it's news to me. I know with certainty that iPhones must be tethered to the front USB for CarPlay to work.

The service tech is going to check on this and get back to me. But I'm betting I'll get the correct answer faster here on our forum...

Timmer

Don't listen to the tech they typically don't know as in this case. AA does need a cable connection always actually. CP does not but it requires a different system and as of now I think only BMW has it and I don't even think all bmw have it as an option. I think the 2019 whatever it's called will have that for CP. Though wireless AA was announced Iver a year ago I think nothing has been released. I hope once that happens a dongle could be plugged into the USB port. Also note u can plug in the ohine into the USB hub in the center armrest and get the connection too just fyi.

There is an easy solution to your cable issue drill a hole through the back bottom of that compartment and run a cable through there. It would come out into the area where the lighter plug is or just get magnets like I did much easier then mounts you just put the phone on there and the phone stays

Edited by thisguy159, 15 December 2017 - 05:37 PM.

• Timmer likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·