Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Active Noise Cancellation....Explained

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   richy

richy

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

I always liked the idea of the Active Noise Cancellation.  ANC is not new, but it is to MKX.  The owner's manual does a really piss poor job of explaining how it works, other than using equal and opposite noise frequencies to cancel each other out.  I understand the theory, but wanted some more practical questions answered.  I emailed the Lincoln concierge and found a very helpful chap who researched my questions I posed to him and came back to me with the answers.

My questions?

For the active noise cancellation,  does it work with the radio turned off? 

Does the volume level affect its performance?   

This is the information he provided:

Rich,   This is the response I got for the active noise control and how it works.

It only works when the radio is off and there is no volume to worry about, the radio is off.  Noise control does not use the radio it just uses the speakers and it does not produce sound it produces frequencies so there is no volume control.

Yes ANC (active noise control) works anytime the engine is running and will not work when the radio on because the noise that is being cancelled is covered up by the radio. 

ANC is an audio system feature that eliminates a certain range of low frequency engine noise within the passenger compartment typically induced under wide open throttle or heavy part-throttle conditions.

While the engine is running, all 3 microphones pick up certain frequencies and deaden the sound using multiple modules and then out through the speakers.

Hopefully that clears up any question you folks may have had about ANC.  It did for me.

• enigma-2 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

That was interesting. I did a Google on this some time back and found little to nothing. This sounds like the system is feeding sub-audio sound into the cabin. Would never have guessed that it only works with the radio off, but make good sense. That means that if you want yo disable the system, all you need do is turn the radio on and set the volume to minimum. Thanks for posting this.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·